Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member

As a granny of 6 I've seen more leaping,running,dashing,etc. around here. Sure there is an occasional accident, which is quickly forgotten about and it's back to playing. I have to say, that I think if people were not able to sue over the smallest things kids would just be kids. What's next having kids wear a suit of armor to play??!!?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Assistant Moderator

Liza a lady here tripped on the footpath and sued the council, what happened to taking responsibility for our own actions.

Sorry I digress.

I must say though ds2 class, and it depends on the teacher, takes the kids down out to the undercover area after marking the roll in the morning (mon, wed, fri) and does a 15-20min workout with them, just skipping, tunnel ball, star jumps and s few simple things to get the kids worked up, as she finds that they work better after exercise and just expending thier energy. This year is a good teacher if the kids are roudy and can't be settled, she takes them out for a quick 5 min walk around the school that stops at the toilet and takes them to the room again, they settle.
This seems to be the teachers ideas not the schools policy.
I know I work better after gym in the morning.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You know, more and more schools no longer have a gym program. Whenever there are budget cuts, gym, music or art are always the first to go. Why can't people understand that these programs are sooo important to our children? Believe it or not, learning music helps children learn math. (has to do with the brain). Without gym, and with fewer to no recesses, when do the children get any exercise?? Bilby, kudos to the teachers who independently take their students out for short walks or exercises!! I bet their classes are better behaved and calmer! Imagine, even as an adult, being stuck inside for 6-7 hours a day stuck behind a desk and the only time you get to walk is to lunch and back or maybe to the bathroom. Is that was is now expected of our children? I do think a lot of this has to do with insurance and with lawsuits. Again, people do not take personal responsibility for their own actions. Children need sunshine, fresh air, exercise every single day!!! And yup, sometimes they fall down and get hurt or sometimes they play too rough. But that is childhood and that is how they learn and grow. If things continue the way they are now, what will it be like for our children in a few years???
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just wanted to say that I'm so glad there are so many of you who share my opinion in this!! It makes my head spin to hear of what is happening to fun children's games, stories, cartoons, etc.

It will be interesting, and probably a bit sad, to see what our children will be like as adults, and what values society will have taught them. I know as parents, it is up to us to guide them in the right direction, but society inevitably plays a part in their upbringing.

Hopefully this over-insured, over-sued, over-"protective" (and I use that term loosely!!!) phase will be a short one as we start to see the consequences of it in the future!
Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You know that is another point. I recall being in elementary school, and in our particular district there were about five elementary schools. All four schools shared one gym teacher, one music teacher, one art teacher. And we had each of these classes 2X/week. The one day we had the "speical" teacher and the other day our regular teacher "taught" the special. So, how much can these classes actually cost??

The teacher is already getting paid. How hard is it to give the kids some paint and paper or crayons. Or to go outside and do stretches like Bilby's son's teacher? Music may be a little bit harder for regular teachers, but, don't we all know a few songs?

Don't you think we are already seeing the affects of this type of society behavior? I mean when we went to school, how many school shootings did we hear of?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

mom2-4, you are so right! Aren't we already seeing some of the results of taking away gym, music, art, recess and recess games? Art was taken away at our lower elementary schools here. The parents did not understand why each teacher in a class could not just teach their students art once a week or so. When I asked one of the teachers, her reply was, "We refuse to do art with our students because if the district sees that we can each do it, then we will never get an art teacher again." Basically it was to get enough parents up in arms so the district would hire another art teacher. I can understand their point but it still means children did not have any art. Why was the art teacher gotten rid of in the first place? (I don't even want to start on budgets and all that) I know many of us can still manage to get our children outside running around, do art projects with them, pay for music lessons, take them to museums etc. but what about the parents who can't either due to finances or some other issue such as no yard or park nearby? Sports teams are also not always the answer as often coaches only play the more gifted athletes while others sit on the bench. (I know that is not always the case but it often is) Hmm, there are so many issues here. But I do wish schools would back off and just let the children play at recess like children do.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member

How do you score well during the Physical Fitness test when you only have gym once a week. So now they will spend 5-8 weeks of gym class working on the Physical Fitness stuff.

The only recess time my 5th grader has is at lunch and they are only outside 15-20 min.

Roberta
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

Our school the kids are back at school in summer for 2 weeks and they have a swimming carnival. Some of those kids have not swum since the previous years school and they have not had a minutes practice. Straight into competition and wonder why the kids get disheartened when they don't do well.
The mind boggles at thier thinking sometimes.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaD
The only recess time my 5th grader has is at lunch and they are only outside 15-20 min.
Same thing with my son. And then his teacher was taking away recess time if the kids went to the bathroom after lunch! 1st time 5 min, 2nd time 10 min, 3rd time NO recess! There was a girl in my sons class that had an accident in her pants on the way home from the bus stop because she was afraid to lose recess time!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Assistant Moderator

WOW that's pretty strict and can't be good for the kids to 'hold it all in'.