Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Once when my little brother & I were playing he went down the hill backward & cracked open his head. I got hollered at because I was the oldest & then he did for not listening & using his brain. No sueing anyone, we were held responsible for what we did. No one cared about my feeling or damaging me , maybe we have just gone to far in trying to make life easy for our kids. GO BEARS !!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member

Does anyone remember Whip It and Red Rover, Red Rover? Used to get bruises from them.

Roberta
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dgd is looking like she was in a war! Running throught the house with dog playing catch &tug of war. The dog is a 80 lb greyhound , gentle as can be but they were running & she fell a few times. She had no problems & no tears, she knows what happens when she gets him going but of course she is nine & loves to do it. It has been rainy & they have both been cooped up & just needed to burn off some energy GO BEARS !!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
No sueing anyone, we were held responsible for what we did.

Can you imagine actually holding children responsible for their own behavior? I wonder what kind of adults they would turn out to be?

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member

Remember how they packaged the Rover for landing on Mars, all those little bubble balloons? I think we should require those for gym uniforms. (JK!)

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

ds2 primary school, if you get there early you have to sit in a specified area (teacher supervising) until 10 mins before the bell rings. They say this is because some parents are dropping their kids off an hour or more before school starts, and to many kids are getting hurt playing around that early in the morning, and boys being boys, with no supervision they were a bit rough .
They really crack down on kids running on hard surfaces (concrete paths etc)

I used to love red rover or freeze. We used to sit on our waxed lunch paper (made the metal rail super fast) on a hand rail than went down a hill to the oval, there were those that couldn't handle the speed and a few scraped knees and elbows came from that game!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Honestly, we read all these articles about the obesity problem with our children but now the schools are no longer allowing children to actually run and play on the playgrounds. They serve them what amounts to "fast food" during meal times but do not allow the children to burn off these calories at recess. Children need to run, jump, climb - necessary activities to develop their large motor skills and burn off all that energy. Teachers complain about children not paying attention in class and acting up but what should they expect when children are not allowed to run and play during the day. Children do fall down, skin knees, bump heads, that is a natural part of childhood. And as for playing tag, dodgeball, red rover etc., that teaches cooperation as well as gives exercise. Of course playgrounds should be supervised. And if children are playing unnecessarily aggressively, then a teacher or playground supervisor should step in, but let kids be kids!!! Let them run and play do all those kid things! We parents, I am sure had our share of skinned knees and bumped heads and played many a game of kickball or tag and yet here we are. What exactly ARE kids allowed to do on the playground if not run and play? Will they take away swingsets next because someone could walk in front of one and get bumped? Law suits - puhlease!! Perhaps there should be guidelines regarding the law suit arena and those that are unnecessarily silly be dismissed and not waste the tax payers dollars!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi1961
Perhaps there should be guidelines regarding the law suit arena and those that are unnecessarily silly be dismissed and not waste the tax payers dollars!
I absolutely agree!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sammi, actually, yes, there is only one school in our area that has a swingset! No, swings, the only one that has a swingset anymore is the mennonite schools!

Bilby, Oh, I loved Red Rover!! I don't even think any of the kids here play that any longer!!

I also remember when I was in elementary school, we had a short 10-15 min recess in the morning before lunch, time to play after eating lunch that was a 1/2 hr lunch period. And than a 10-15 min recess in the afternoon.

My kids, only had a little bit of recess after eating their lunch, that is a 20 min period!!
I know that DD1 and DS both had had an afternoon recess, and when this was taken from them, most of the parents raised a stink. And we were told, that the recess was taking too much time from school work. We were told that it was taking the children too long to settle down after having recess, and it was just too much valuable time being taken from school work!!

Uh, hello!!! How much time are they now spending telling them to calm down??

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I so agree. We used to play tag and other running games and we lived to tell about it. We used to play Red Rover on the ice skating rink. Talk about some bruising!
Too many people sue for the smallest thing, this is probably why the schools banned these games. But, where is putting the responsibilty on the students and parents. No one wants to take responsiblity for anything anymore. "I dropped hot coffee in my lap while driving"...sue McDonalds. " My child is fat"...sue the fast food industry. Sad affairs of the world. How can we teach our children to own up for what he/she does or doesn't do. My son is 22, and that is how he was raised, if he didn't get a good grade and he didn't do the work, he had no one else to blame but himself. I too wish children could be children. I feel sorry for them, they do not get to play like we did in the 50's and 60's. Everything has to be structed for them. Hopefully we can turn the tide on this and let them have a little fun!

Lizajane