Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education

Education Daycare providers, teachers, homeschoolers, and parents. Gather here to share your thoughts and ideas.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

getting more education as a mature student

Well here is a topic I haven't seen covered....has anyone taken courses etc. part-time or on-line - working towards a degree etc.? (That might take YEARS!)
I am taking on-line courses and so far I am loving it! I have learned so much...but it is a lot of work - I was surprised that that don't "hand' out degrees! HAHAHA. I figure I am on about the 7 year plan. I will be 7 years older with or without the degree...
Old 06-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Goria, I am sooo glad that you posted this! I've been wanting to for a long time.

I am 42 years old (will be 43 in August) and just got my AA in Criminal Justice in a non-traditional college (university branch). I am almost finished with my junior year as a psychology major. I have wanted to go into forensics since 1992 and psychology since 1980. (No, I have never watched CSI) I too have had a BLAST in college. It sure felt great walking across the stage to get my degree! I cannot wait to get my BA in psych. I am making yet another scary move in my life in August--I'm moving to a traditional university where the average student in in his or her 20s! IT is HUGE and has its own post office.

Just to encourage other non-traditional students, I just graduated with HONORS and as a Crimson Scholar. Also, I just got a $4,000 scholarship. All I had to do was write a letter as to what I do at the university and the community at far as volunteer orgaizations and what I plan on doing with my degree once I get it.

Good luck fellow non-traditional students!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I went back to college when I was 35 years old. I took mainly distance-learning courses. It was TOUGH - because I was also working full time. Fortunately, I had a very supportive DH. When I was 42, I received my bachelors degree in business administration.

I think you get more out of it when you take the classes later in life - you appreciate the whole thing a bit more.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

VickiLynn, you are a strong, strong woman. Those distance ed classes are tough--even when you do not work. Congratulations.

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 06-08-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi all,

I was 39 and married, with 3 children, when I "started"college. I never enjoyed anything so much! I had always wanted to go to college, but other things got in the way. I never did complete a 4-year degree (which I'm sorry for now), but I did earn two AS degrees with a 4.0 average in one and a 3.8 in the other.

I encourage anyone who has a desire to go to college to give it a try. Age doesn't matter; in fact, I had a lot of fun with the younger students. There were a couple of negative guys who wondered what us "old folks" were doing there, but they were the exception.

Going to college gave me a lot of self-confidence, which I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Doris
Old 06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My family loves to laugh at me, the career college student. I went to school for 21 years to earn my degree. I had to change degrees twice as the school would drop the program and I could not finish it up in the one year they gave you. I had a supporting DH and child at times. One semester I took three classes and I would not do that again in addition to working full time. So thereafter I usually only took one class a semester. (Plus with work schedules and class offerings only one would fit in)

It was really hard at the end having one child and taking business classes as you had so many outside the class, group meetings. For one class I was meeting the group and doing group projects so I was tied up five days a week. For the last ten years I worked an hour and fifteen minutes from the university, so I would have to time it well. I did not want to quit though and received my Business Management degree when I was 7 months pregnant with #2.

Since the university is in a big city it had quite a few nontraditional students. There was one individual that graduated at the young age of seventy two.

So I say if you can go back to school and enjoy it.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow redcardinalbird! I don't know how people do it when they also have families to take care of. Way to go.

I'm moving to a HUGE campus in August and am having many, many panic attacks. I've got to find a new primary care doctor, a new ISP, and other little things. I get lost very easy because I have no sense of direction. I came from a town of a 1,000 people. The college that I just graduated from has about 800 or so total students. The university that I will be attending in the fall has its own post office! I have 10 minutes between one of my classes. I am sure that I will be fine, it's just all the unknown that is worrying me.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DeBora - I admire you for going to a new city (campus)! At least I never had to leave home. Are you moving by yourself or is your DH going with you? I know it is scary thinking about it but am sure you will handle it. Good Luck!

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora, I know you can do it! You have accomplished so much already.
Is this a one-year degree program, or will you have to spend longer than that away from home?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DH will be 3 1/2 hours away. He will be able to visit me on his 7 day straights once a month as well as his vacations. I am finishing up a BA is psychology which should take another year and a half more or less. Then, I have to get at LEAST a Master's Degree and hopefully a PhD. So, I should be there for at least another 4 years because I have also been working on a different degree which I got in May.

I think part of my anxiety is the getting lost and the fact that I have never lived alone. I got married at 16 and have been married and raising children until my youngest graduated HS in 2000. The part about me taking the classes with teachers that I have never had does not concern me.

I am sure that I will be fine once I get there and get settled. It's just this initial "not knowing" part that I am afraid of.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.