Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

New “Better for You” Natural Kids’ Cereals

New “Better for You” Natural Kids’ Cereals Just in Time for Back to School Help Families Jump- Start Mornings

Mom’s Best® Naturals introduces natural Honey Grahams® and Toasted Cinnamon Squares™ that boast no high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives

Minneapolis – Back to school means back to a routine and that should include breakfast to help improve overall performance. Researchers at the Mayo Clinic have found that a healthy breakfast helps improve concentration, provides strength and energy and aids in weight control. But parents and kids don’t often agree on what the “right breakfast” should be. At a time when parents are looking for healthier natural foods that don’t break the bank and kids are clamoring for taste, Mom’s Best Naturals offers the perfect compromise: a growing line of better-for-you natural kids cereals.

Just in time for back to school, Mom’s Best Naturals is introducing two new varieties – Toasted Cinnamon Squares and Honey Grahams. While many wholesome cereals are costly and often get wasted because they don’t taste much better than the cardboard boxes they come in, Mom’s Best Naturals helps families start their day off right --- with family sized boxes, great taste and a suggested retail price of 20-50 percent less than most other natural and organic cereals available today.

When “whatever works” has become the rallying cry of so many parents, the Mom’s Best Naturals line has emerged as a great option for parents seeking healthier “go-to” cereal options that fit comfortably into the family budget.
“I frequently hear from parents about how challenging it is to change their families’ eating habits to include more healthy foods, especially at breakfast” says registered dietitian and author Janice Bissex, M.S., R.D. of Boston.

THE FRUCTOSE-FREE ZONE

In addition to affordability and great taste, the cereals contain no high fructose corn syrup and no artificial preservatives, colors, flavors or hydrogenated oil. The cereal line offers families a middle ground and more natural versions of family favorite cereals that move them just a bit closer to the better eating habits they are hoping to achieve. Along with the two newly introduced varieties, the line includes family favorites Toasted Wheat-fuls™, Sweetened Wheat-fuls™, Toasty O’sÒ, Honey Nut Toasty O’sÒ, Raisin Bran, Mallow-Oats™, Honey-ful Wheat™ and Oats & Honey BlendÒ.

Bissex says this new “get real” approach to healthy, affordable products is working with mainstream families. The co-author of The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers, says, “It’s great to see that there are options out there like Mom’s Best Naturals that are both healthy and affordable. The best part is that kids love them!”

Bissex teaches families to read nutrition labels and price tags when they buy. Here’s what consumers will see in reviewing the two new cereals in the Mom’s Best Naturals line:
Honey Grahams® (17.5 oz box) – Honey sweetened graham cereal containing 7g of whole grains per serving, real honey, 0g trans fat.
Toasted Cinnamon Squares™ (17.5 oz box) – Sweetened whole wheat and rice cereal with cinnamon containing 10g of whole grain goodness per serving, 0g trans fat.
All Mom’s Best Naturals ready-to-eat cereals have a suggested retail price of $2.29-$3.29. Mom's Best Naturals ready-to-eat and hot cereals (Instant Oatmeal and Quick Oats) are available online at MyBrands.com and at supermarkets and natural foods stores nationwide, including select Acme, Albertson's, Winn-Dixie, Wild Oats, H-E-B, Wal-mart and SuperValu stores. For more information, visit www.momsbestnaturals.com.

More about Mom’s Best Naturals

Mom’s Best is a family-owned Minnesota-based company, located in the heart of the nation’s breadbasket. The brand name honors the founder’s wife and all mothers who teach their families the importance of good food and are stewards of a healthier and more sustainable life. The company strives to make choices that benefit families, enhance communities and sustain the environment. Mom’s Best focuses on the needs of families by keeping costs as low as possible while offering high-quality, natural cereals with no artificial colors or flavors, no artificial preservatives, no hydrogenated oils and no high fructose corn syrup. The company packages all of its cereals in recycled paperboard and demonstrates its commitment to sustainability by minimizing waste and purchasing 100 percent of the electricity consumed by the production of its natural cereals from Windsource®2, a network of wind turbines that generates electricity for regional use.
###

*Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar, reserve 1 tablespoon for the topping
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup 1% lowfat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Mom’s Best Naturals Toasted Cinnamon Squares
1 small apple, unpeeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously oil or coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.

3. Combine the eggs, applesauce, sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the topping by placing the cereal in a plastic, zip-top bag. Crush into small pieces (about the size of lentils) with your fingers or a rolling pin. Place the cereal, apple, flaxseed, remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl and stir to combine.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Top evenly with the apple mixture, pressing down gently into the batter.

6. Bake about 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes before removing.

Nutritional Information per Serving: 200 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat, 0.8g omega-3), 190mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g protein
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've received several cereal samples and some oatmeal. Will post a report tomorrow after breakfast!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just realized that I tucked this cereal away in my pantry and had an egg white omelet this morning! LOL I will either have one of my kids test this cereal today or I will have some tomorrow. Sorry!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I'm interested in hearing what they think of it.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The kids still haven't tried it, but hopefully I will get TJ to try one shortly.

Meanwhile, I have tried both the Toasted Cinnamon Squares and the Honey Grahams and they were both delicious!

Looks like you can download a $1 off coupon here. If they don't carry them in your local store you can request that they do, or you can check here to buy.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
They don't sell them in NC.

What are the ready to eat cereals sweetened with?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I will have to watch the stores in NM or Texas to see if they carry them here. Things usually start in the West and work their way across the US.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
What are the ready to eat cereals sweetened with?
On the Honey Grahams the ingredients lists the following:

cane and/or sugar beet juice
molasses
fructose
brown sugar syrup
honey
dextrose

There are other ingredients, but these seem to be the ones that are sweeteners.