Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Healthy Eating > Eating Healthier

Old 02-20-2004, 12:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Low carb vs Lo cal

I have been dieting most of my life to maintain weight

I have tried low cal but loose the proteins in meats and am now trying low carb to get the protein but the legumes, rice and half of the veggies I the most are high in carbs

Is there a happy medium out there that anyone knows about

If anyone out there can hepl me, I would be extremely thankful!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruthie...

You mentioned Low-cal and Low carb.. neither of which are making you happy...

Have you considered Low-fat/ High fiber?

It ends up being fairly low calorie, because of the low fat part... and the carbs you are having are good carbe, because they are made up of low fat and high fiber types.. not empty/hi glycemic carbs..

Maybe something like that would provide the happy medium you are looking for.

Talk to a nutritionist or a dietition to formulate a meal plan that you could stick to...made up of a moderation of foods you like...

The problem I have is not WHAT I eat.. it's how MUCH I eat LOL!

If I could only moderate my appitite.. I'd be a much thinner person.

Alas.. It's not that easy...

Good luck!

Val
Old 02-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I would have to agree with Val on the low fat way of eating. Just recently, Ive tried doing the South Beach diet just recently and while it does work, it is very hard for me to stay on it while cooking for my family--and its not cheap to buy stuff for just myself along with another shopping list.

In the past, Ive used low-fat dieting to lose weight and it really works. I limited myself to 25-30 grams of fat per day. The only other things that I would add about carbs and losing weight is try to avoid "white" carbs like potatoes, pasta and white bread. These are very bad carbs even though you can buy a low-fat version of the breads and pastas. Whole wheat and other whole grains are the way to go.

Good Luck to You!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Last edited by ajrsmom; 03-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Val,

Thanks for the tip. The problems I have had in the past is that the hi fiber sometimes adds weight. Or is that just until I get evened out?

I know, find a good nutritionist;-)

I am currently looking for a naturopath in my local area so that I can get all the benefits of seeing someone who won't push chemicals on me. I am already on meds for hi bp and estorgen replacement. It to be almost 50!

Thanks again.

Ruthey
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I go for the marked lo fat stuff but a lot of the time it's high in sugar so you have to make your own not convenience foods, that makes it a bit harder and boy could I do with a few less calories, yes I guess the portions LOL

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree that a lot of "low fat" products are loaded with sugar which adds calories so you really have to look. I'm tried to eat lots of whole grains, fruits & veggies while limiting the carbs and fat in foods.

Roberta
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The one thing that I have learned since being in the hospital, and being told I am a diabetic, and trying to get my DH levels down is that you do have to eat some sugar...it is the amount and form that you have it in...your body does need it to survive...and when you starve your body from what it needs you can do more harm than good...just a thought as with all things moderation comes into play, but go to the National Diabetic website and check out some of the recipes or meal plans that they might have...I know that they have me on a plan where I get so many carbs a day between 3 meals and a snack...between the food at the hospital, the water that they took off...and now I have lost a total of 74 lbs...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow Debwestbury, that is some serious weight loss with the new meal plan....

Although not officially Diabetic, I think I have many of the low blood sugar symptoms. However I am also trying to loose weight by cutting calories and some carbs. It is good to know that there are websites that specifically help with these problems.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Not the way I would want anyone to lose the weight...I knew that I had been loosing some weight, but then i really bloated up, to this day there is still no reason for it...but most of that loss is from water. The doctor told me that they took off 10-11 gallons of water...