Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Fruits and Vegetables

Does anyone out there REALLY eat 8 fruits and Vegetables a day!!!???
What is your secret?
I think if I never ate out it is feasable...but still...

I do want to be more healthy to balance my love for candy and anything sweet!!!LOL

Thanx, the trainlady
Old 08-17-2002, 03:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

To be honest, I don't. I think the only way someone can fit it in regularly is to juice, or to multiple fruits and veggies at every meal. But if you try to buy good quality fruits, you'll find yourself preferring those to candy. I buy in-season organic fruits as much as possible. What candy in the world is better than a bowl of fresh, organic mixed blueberries, raspberries and blackberries?! Mmmm....

Lessee if we have two fruits for breakfast, 2 veggies servings with lunch you'll need to have 4 veggie servings at dinner. haha I guess if we ate like that and had some fish or a little meat and a little carbs on the side, we wouldn't be fat anymore that's for sure......but could we do it? Every day? I don't know........
Old 08-17-2002, 04:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gosh, I know what you mean! I just started a diet this week and I've done very well, but I have a terrible time trying to fit in all those fruits and vegetable! I drink Noni Juice in the morning and a banana with breakfast, then an apple for mid morning snack. Then for lunch, I try to have at least one veggie and another fruit. The problem is, I'm not a veggie fan So I might have a salad with my lunch. Dinner depends on the kids and dh's schedule, but I try to have one veggie and another salad, plus some more fruit.

I definitely prefer the fruit to the veggies.

But, I've lost 4 pounds since Monday so I must be doing something right!!!!

Bev
http://www.now.at/noni
Old 08-17-2002, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

8 Fruits & Vegetables a day?

I am a vegetarian and I really do try to eat at least 8 fruits and vegetables a day. The fresh ones are the best for you. It is pretty easy to do if you eat two at lunch and two at dinner some juice and two or three fruit snacks. Really good for you too. You know a serving is only 1/2 cup, so if you think about the size of the salad you might be eating, you realise you are getting quite a few servings in just one salad. Fruits and vegetables are also fairly inexpensive compared to junk food. I am hoping for long term health benefits also.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My question is: How long does fresh fruit and veggies stay good? I don't like going to the store, so I don't buy much fruit--afraid of it rotting. And, are all fruits and veggies best kept in the fridge?

Tami
[email protected]
Old 08-17-2002, 07:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

fruits & veggies-yum!

hello to everyone.

my suggestion is to try V-8 juice(i buy walmart brand for $1.12 a can)
another thought is to purchase a food processor to make homemade versions of veggie or fruit slaw. (i am currently trying w/ my 3 yr old-he doesnt like chewing up whole veggies or fruit yet-too time consuming i guess)
or purchase a juicer and try that route with fruit and veggie blend drinks and purees.
or perhaps consider checking out recipes at www.justjeanne.com she has lots of ideas on home canning, perserving foods,freezing foods etc. wonderful and up to date site for safe food info!!!

good luck-
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 08-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky 8 fruits and veggies

hi its really not that hard to get 8 fruits and veggies for breakfast fruit or mixed fruit and juice with whatever else you have there is 2. slice a lemon put in a baggie and have a slice in your water and tea throuout the day. before the day is over there is another fruit . for lunch have a large salad ( at least two to three depending what you put in it )you can even put fruit in this and meat for a great helthy meal. for dinner a small side salad( at leat one or two servings) then have meat and at least one cooked veggie. if you have a dessert try a fruit pie fruit cobbler just fruit fruit sauce over ice cream ,fruit and whipped cream ( my personal favorite!!! ) and dehydrated fruits are such a great snak. taste better than candy . keep a journal of everything you eat each day usually you eat more fruit and veggies than you think if not you can see where you need to make changes. try recipes using fruits in main dishes this is great change of pace.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Homemade juice is the easiest way for me to get my fruits and vege's in. My kids don't even notice if there's some sweet potato in with the apple or that I've added fruits that they say they don't like. You can buy juice too and add to it. Then it goes so much farther. We buy a lot of apple b/c my daughter has to have a glass a day and I add to it and add water too. It's too concentrated. If we have to eat that much everyday without juice we wouldn't be able to. My kids "think" they only like a few vege's and some fruit.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm 6 months pregnant, and the nutritionist at my doctor's office is bugging me to make sure that I get all of my fruits and veggies, and all the other food groups. I've been doing ok, actually a couple of weeks ago I was doing better and I have to get back to that!!

For breakfast I usually have a bowl of cereal, and a banana, then I have a small snack a couple of hours later, usually some cheese and an apple, or carrots sticks. Then for lunch I have a salad which counts as at least two veggies, depending on what's in it, and I make sure to have a hard boiled egg in it for protein, and cheese. Then I have another small snack between lunch and dinner, some OJ and maybe something else. Then for dinner I have at least one veggie and usually a small salad along with whatever else we're having. Then for a snack before bed I usually have some fruit, or veggies and dip. It's really hard, and I'm not always that good with it!! It's especially difficult because I'm home with the snacks that my dh eats in my face!!

You may be eating or drinking more than you think. . .check the amounts of things that count as servings you could be drinking enough OJ for 2 servings and counting it as one, for example!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great thread. Trainlady (and everyone else) you are making me hungry for veggies! I guess that would be the idea.