Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

you can buy packets of mayo, that is stable at room temp.

Rani
Old 08-14-2002, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Try this link to another site. Though it is geared for back to school, anyone can benefit from these ideas.

http://allrecipes.com/features/backtoschool.asp?tsrc=rn

I intend to use some of the ideas for my dh AND grandkids.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: LOLPenn[email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 08-14-2002, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about leftovers? That is what my dh likes most of the time and it doesn't take anything extra. He doesn't like sandwiches, so that's out. I have sent everything from a steak and potatoes to chili/spaghetti to beef stew to pork chops. I bought one of those "freezy things" to keep it all cool and just add a fork (and knife if he needs it) and napkins and he takes a water bottle that's half frozen (when he leaves home and by lunch it's still cold) to drink.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

bagged lunches

I buy turkey breasts when on sale. I have small family, we eat maybe half for a meal, the other side gets sliced for sandwiches. Great for lunches.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I buy canned chicken at Sam's, it is a large can and works out to about a dollar a can. WHen I have nothing to make sandwiches from, I make chicken salad. When we take it to work, I put the chicken salad in a small tupperware container and the bread in a sandwich keeper. We make the sandwich at lunch so it doesn't get soggy. If no fridge, then we use freezer packs or frozen juice boxes, too.

Thanks for the tip on the chicken drumsticks, my dd loves the drumstick.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi...*s*

You could probably buy a whole turkey for what they want for a pound of good quality luncheon meat. Why not just buy the turkey, roast it, and slice it up and freeze it....

To help keep sandwiches from spoiling...you can use frozen bread,
also use frozen juice carton, or water, and small frozen packs for that purpose. I know it seems like a lot, but better safe, right? *s*
Meat Loaf makes a wonderful sandwich with a little ketchup.

Chicken, when on sale is a marvelous bargain for sandwiches...
also, ham is freezable.....

Meat and fish salads in sandwiches I don't pack in the summer...but I would in winter, on frozen bread and all the other precautions....pack cold fruit...anything you can pack cold keeps lunch cold... *s*

I've even packed fritattas cold for lunch and they are wonderful..

egg and potato, egg and peppers...egg and ham....or whatever..

hard boiled egg and ham and or fried peppers makes a wonderful sandwich....there are all types of good sandwiches you can make
this way...if they start out cold from the refrigerator, they will be just right room temp by the time lunch comes around....

Ever try egg and pepperoni...? it's really good...
eggs are so versatile that it can go with just about anything.

I remember when I was in college and my girlfriend and I were hungry and wanting something to eat....I had 2 eggs and a bit of butter and bread and about 1 tablespoon of parmesean.....and she had a can of mixed veggies.... We were going to go food shopping for the month.

we heated the veggies, and added to scrambled egg and added a bit of cheese and boy was that good.

It's so true...the INCREDIBLE, eatable ...egg. *s*

Jeannie
Old 08-16-2002, 11:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

mayo alternative

What about making your own kefir-cheese and using that as a spread instead of mayo? Kefir products naturally have their own built-in preservative, so there's not a worry about spoilage from one day at room temperature.

The cool thing about kefir cheese is that it's also probiotic (that means it's filled with healthy micro-organisms to support your loved one's immune system). Kefir cheese has the texture of ricotta or goat cheese. It's soft, spreadable and yummy. The taste is also similar to these, but can change if you put spices in it.

I might not be back to this thread, so in case there are questions of "what the heck is that stuff?", I'll just give you a site that has good info.

Oh, the best part...you make this cheese yourself. It's VERY simple/easy. Homemade kefir is good for you, and extremely inexpensive.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html
Old 08-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm a sandwich person, but I try to take a healthly lunch most days. I use whole wheat bread, spread a light mixture of mayo and mustard, add swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber slice and shredded carrots - believe it or not, it is a great combination. Instead of potato chips, I cut up radishes and celery to eat along with my sandwich. Sometimes, I'll include some pretzel sticks as an added treat. For dessert, it's fresh fruit, canned fruit, or applesauce.
My other favorite sandwich is peanut butter, cheddar cheese and lettuce. (ya gotta love peanut butter). The other veggies are cut up to eat on the side instead of chips.
When I make chicken salad for sandwiches, I add shredded carrot, shredded radishes, shredded cucumber, and cut up onion and celery to the chicken. I also use a combination of bottled coleslaw dressing, mayo and relish for the dressing.
Even if your dh doesn't like all of these veggies, a combination of items gives a different flavor and taste even to the most mundane sandwich.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

All this talk of chicken salad is making me hungry, but I've never made it before. Can anyone send me a recipe? It will be greatly appreciated. I am always looking for lunch foods for my dh. He is a truck driver and is always in a rush so he usually eats on the road. He is also VERY picky! He complains about his sandwiches being soggy too. I will have to try putting them in a tupperware container and see how that works. This is a great thread!
Old 08-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lunches

Thanks for the kefir link. I can't wait to try it.