Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Assistant Moderator

So far I have done very well with sticking to healthy eating. I even passed up the huge chocolage chip cookies offered to parents at my ds2's open house despite the fact that I was starving.

Yesterday wasn't so healthy - ate a yogurt smoothie but then a Dunkin Donuts cheesy bagel stick and a Coffee Coolatta and for dinner a McD's cheeseburger with a strawberry banana smoothie. Guess it was a mix of good and bad as I was out on the road all day.

Today, back on track - so far for breakfast a Yoplait light yogurt and an individual serving container of cottage cheese.

Laura, I love chocolate Silk but have yet to try Almond milk. I think I will try some now that you have mentioned it.

Patti, I love chocolate Silk but haven't tried the vanilla so now want to try that too!

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Is the chocolate silk soy?

So far this morning I had multigrain Cheerios and a banana for breakfast.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

As far as I know all SILK milks are SOY . I am getting ready to eat Mushroom Ramen Noodle Soup. Going thro' my cabinets and got a hankering for this.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have been eating healthy almost a week now, trying to lower my blood pressure.
Lots of fruits and vegies everyday!!

hugs, train
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good going Donna. I have to wait till
pay day to get more fresh veggies but
am eating canned ones and rinse the green beans and green peas to get rid of
most of the salt. Then season with something else. But have sure been eating the fresh fruits especially Cara Cara Oranges which I buy and Kent gets for me at Costco, also pears, Kiwi's, Avacados and grapes Black and Red
Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Patti!
You know my past tries at eating healthy though, they never last very long. Hopefully this time I can stick to it.

Besides my cholesterol, I found out my BP was also high at last months physical. I guess 51 years of eating whatever I want has caught up with me.

I started a food diary today so tomorows plan is 1595 calories, 28 grams fat and 485 mg sodium....real, real low on the sodium but I have to get it down because I dont want to go on any more medicine. The doctor gave me two months to try to lower my BP by diet...... (I can have betw 1500 and 2000 mg a day and some days I definitely will!!)

Whats a cara cara orange? I dont think we have them here....never seen them.

hugs, train
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yes I know your past with "eating better" but I am pulling for you and so are others so maybe this time you will be able to do it longer at least. As for Cara Cara Oranges they are nice and sweet NO seeds and BIG. I have bought them in Farm Fresh as well as Food Lion and Kent got them for me at Costco. I have eaten 44 since March 9th that does not count the ones before that. My DR wants to know what veggies and fruits and how many I am eating so have kept a log of them and will show it to her when I go back in July. I eat 3 kinds of pears the red ones, Bosc and the green ones as well as ones I get at Harry & Davids which are called Royal Rivera sooo good
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Assistant Moderator

Donna, good luck! I know you can do it. Seems that when we are threatened with meds it is good motivation because I am right there on the path with you. I have borderline high blood pressure and boarderline cholesterol and I do NOT want to go on meds. Now you have the motivation to make the changes permenent.

I ate nothing healthy all weekend as we were at our cottage opening it up for the summer. Now I need to get right back on track

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Patti, I will look for those Cara Cara oranges when I go shopping later this week. I think I've heard of them but I don't know if my store carries them. I love a good orange. Those pears sound great too. Every Christmas, we get one of those fruit boxes from Harry & David, sent by my husband's uncle, that has their wonderful pears- they are soooo tender and juicy.

Good luck with the healthy eating, Donna. I know it's a real challenge because it's a challenge at my house too!

I am making a conscious effort to buy more organic, natural, and local foods from my stores and local farmer's markets. My goal there is literally to just put less unnatural junk in our bodies. We haven't gone fully organic, and probably won't, but I figure the fewer chemicals and additives we put in our bodies, the better. We have been actively eating this way for a year and so far, the efforts have really paid off. The boys and DH have noticed the improved taste in the food (especially the produce), and I have felt more energetic. We have all been sleeping better as well, and my younger son's dry skin has improved significantly- he's not nearly as itchy and flaky as he usually is at this point.

In Texas we are lucky to have such a long growing season (as long as the heat doesn't burn the crops!!) so we get fresh veggies and fruits for a good long time. This summer I am finally going to experiment with canning so hopefully I will learn how to preserve these yummy veggies for the winter. My grandmother who raised me canned most of the vegetables that she grew, and I remember fondly watching her work her magic when I was little. Hopefully some of her canning magic has rubbed off on me, because I sure can't grow a veggie garden to save my life!

The other main goal besides putting less junk in our bodies is not so much weight loss as a diet as it is a lifestyle change. My hubby's bad cholesterol is a tiny bit too high and his good cholesterol is a little low, and our gp (we have the same one, which is nice) wants him to drop at least 25 pounds for that and his blood pressure, which isn't very high but could still stand to drop. He wants us to nip that in the bud before DH has to go on more meds. He's on a low dose of Pravachol right now, but we hope to get him off that in the next few months. I am in surprisingly good health for being overweight- no cholesterol or bp problems at all- but with me being over 40 now, it's the same thing- let's try to take care of this now so I won't have to worry later.

My DH used to drink Coke like water, and he has totally given up almost all sodas now, which has made him feel fantastic. He drinks mostly iced tea and lemonade now, but does have a few fruit-flavored sodas a week. I have cut down to one diet caffeinated soda a day- although sometimes I do have two, I'm in graduate school after all - but I have increased my water intake a lot, which is great. The boys have cut down on sodas and drink lots of water flavored with a slice of fruit or, with their lunches at school, a few drops of that Mio flavoring. We will probably never give up sodas totally- my diet drinks are my source of caffeine, which really does help keep my migraines at bay- but we have drastically cut down the amount we drink, which is great.

The boys have almost entirely stopped buying school lunches because they don't like the taste anymore. My older boy was only buying the pizza because he was grossed out by the gray hamburgers and gray chicken nuggets, and nothing else he tried really tasted good. I would have never thought a middle school boy would carry a lunch kit to school, but not only did he do that, he looked forward to seeing what hot lunches I packed for him over the winter!

So with these few steps we have managed to effect lots of changes in how we think about food and how we feel physically. We plan to keep this up indefinitely!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I hope you can find them. Just peeled me 2 and now eating them. I first saw a commercial on TV about the Cara Cara oranges otherwise would most likely not know about them. I like most pears but the H & D ones are my fave followed by Bosc. Guess that is because my dear G-mom had 2 trees in her yard.
I'm sure you guys do feel better since you are trying to eat better. I eat a good bit of fish rarely fried tho' No more French Fries, no bacon lots of nos.
Watching Hatfields & McCoys so bye for now