Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Healthy Eating > Eating Healthier

Old 06-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks guys,
I am going to read and reread all this info, try to get it to sink in and make some babysteps toward some health changes.

hugs,train
Old 06-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I also have that same problem and I can't even stand the taste of cottage chez. And rice cakes are nasty. I will read all the posts through also and see if there are ideas for me also. Thank you train lady. This was a good question.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For the most part I think a healthy diet doesn't have to mean eating salads and drinking water all the time. Variety and everything in moderation is the key. Make a trip to a health food store like Wholefoods Market. I love going shopping there.
Shop and cook from around the edges of the grocery store as much as possible.
White sugar, white flour, etc. have ben stripped of their nutrition.
When something is enriched it usually means the good stuff has been stripped away and then added back by other means. Choose crackers and breads made from whole grains etc. Ezekiel Bread is good if you want to get away from flour. It's made from healthy sprouted grains and comes in many flavors. Use grains and legumes to fill yourself up. Fiber and protein are important to good health. Don't think "meat" when thinking of protein.
Actually meat is a protein but not realy the correct kind. Usually meat offer only fat and some iron and the wrong kind of protein but the body will use it. Beans and rice make a complete protein.
Pasta salads are wonderful and can be very healthy and filling.
Get creative. They can include the very simple to flavored with meats etc.
Smoothies are a great summer treat and can be very healthy.
Kids usually love these as well.
We drink herb tea and green tea. There are many, many flavors.
Use can use natural sugar or honey to sweeten. They are wonderful hot or cold.
Watch your sodium intake, sugar intake, fat intake.
Watch for all those artificial flavors and colors.
Taking a step or two at a time will lead to success.
Best of luck!
Robin
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I find that sometimes the problem with healthy eating is that it can take a little more time to prepare healthy meals. So when I am pressed for time it easy to grab something that might not be good for me.
I try to do as much prep work as I can on the weekends for the week ahead to help keep me eating better. I have a micro cooker that steams veggies in a short time in the microwave. I also have an inexpensive brand of frozen veggies I like to have on hand for quick stir fry recipes.
Sometimes I am really hunger while preaparing my meal and want to snitch while I cook. A good WW tip I got once was to keep some sugar free gum or mints in a cupboard where you cook and have some while cooking to give your mouth something to do and take the edge off your hunger.
Good Luck on eating better
Joy
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My mom has used wheat germ & flaxseedin meatballs salmoncakes & burgers as fillers instead of crackers or bread, for years now. It is sooo good you don't realize you're getting good-for-you stuff. sneaky smart mom!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I quit drinking soda too. I have cheated and had one but I feel funny after. My lastest change has been cold cereal. Now I buy low/no fat, low sugar and high fiber. My family loves it. We need to eat more fruits and veggies again. If I can keep grapes in the house, we are eating them. I need to get back to planning my meals for the week. Makes life easier and I can control impluses. With dd's allergies there are some foods and food families that we can not have in the house, let alone the rest of us eat them. I have to make allowances for that. We do eat alot of cheese. I would love to switch completly over to fresh goats milk but don't think it will happen. The cost for one thing and I have one who will not drink it no matter what.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Have you tried freezing grapes for a cool summer treat?
The white ones are a favorite here.
Also the fruit pops are good as a healthier summer treat.
Robin
Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love frozen grapes they are an awesome summer treat!

I also love to make the sugar free jello brand pudding w/ skim milk & freeze them in little cups. sooo good! & good for you. Yum

Old 06-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The bad news is that I drink a TON of Diet Cokes. When school is going, I put in about 80-90 hours so I eat stuff like ramen noodles. The good news is that I hate white bread and eat whole wheat. I also LOVE fresh veggies like onions, tomatoes, avacados, spaghetti squash, and so on. I will be moving to main campus and living in a 5th wheel, so freezer space will be limited. I am looking forward to checking out the farmers' markets there! Also, I just cannot bring myself to drink plain water and I do not know of any other way to get that stuff down myself. Good point on getting past the tastebuds.

My biggest problem is that I do not exercise because by the time I get home, I just want to study and snuggle with my dogs.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

DeBoro try putting a bit of lemon in your water that may help you get it down. I personally love water with or without the lemon. But the lemon is also good for you helps put electrolites back in you. Good luck,