Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sueanne,
You are right, "Prevention" is an excellent magazine. I subscribe to that one.

Another really good magazine is "Health."
www.health.com

I have been reading and learning a lot about nutrition. Since having my surgery and gaining my health back I now want to get my body in better shape.

I have started exercising and am eating a low calorie diet. I do not know how long it will take to lose the 30 extra pounds I am carrying around my middle but I plan on sticking to it until I do. I have tried in the past to diet but I get impatient very quickly.

AFTER I lose the weight then I want to learn to bake with splenda so I can go back to eating my treats, but in a healthier way.

Bilby, I like your idea of making your cakes etc, at home instead of storebought so you can control the calories. That is exactly what I will need to do.
Do you have a sweet tooth? Mine is huge!!!!

Crazycaire,
Welcome to Family Corner and hope to see you around on some of the other threads.
Yes, I do make bigger portions for my husband then I do myself. I have never taken plavix but I am sure someone else will have some advice for you.

Meg,
What do you put in your salad wraps? They sound good!!

Mrs. M.,
I hear you on the laughably small portions!!
I am doing the Curves diet and it's 6 mini meals a day. A couple of them are decent but the majority of the "mini meals" are for the birds!!!
And "authority issues!" I can certainly relate to that one too but that's a wholenother topic!!!!! LOL!!
I've not been able to get rid of my daily soda either but then I am not trying! I figure I am eating a measly 1200 calories (will be going up to 1600 in two weeks) and NO candy so I feel I deserve my Pepsi One!
Have you tried the new diet Berries and Cream Dr. Pepper? I am loving it!!

Osaka,
How are you doing, sweetie? Has that boyfriend of your's proposed yet?
Please remember that your dad has to WANT to eat healthy and nothing you can do can make him change his mind!

Mish,
I don't think we have crossed paths on any of the threads! I am Donna and I live in central California. It's nice to "meet" you!!

hugs, train

Attached Images

Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Assistant Moderator

Oh yeah I love my sweet things, I also enjoy them more these day as I eat less, they really are my "treats".
Actually I find that dried fruit can give you a sweet taste, I know they are still sugary but it's a natural sugar and not refined, adding sultanas to your cereal or cakes can let you have a bit less sugar.
Dates is one of my faves to use, in a simple damper of, 2 cups flour, can do half and half SR wholemeal and SR white flour (doesn't work with all w-meal) 1 cup milk, and a handful chopped dates, mix to sticky dough. I cook in spoonfulls on a greased tray at 190*C for 10-15 mins. (If you like a bit more cakey add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder)
These freeze well and when I get a bit peckish I defrost just one and put a light smear of butter or jam if you need more sweetness (I like as is because the dates are in there) it stops me reaching for the lollies or sweeter things.
I have my helath cake I do to, that has no butter, eggs and I swap 1/2 sugar with splenda.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am, and not because my life depends on it.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member

Every morning I make a smoothie for ds and me. Add loads of fruit and a stalk of celery, milk, water and ice. It is so refreshing & invigorating to start the day. Use all the peels and blend with water to feed my papaya & fig trees. Better for them all natural does not burn. The sun dries it out and new seedlings emerge. Have little watermelons growing now. Staying healthy takes time but it is worth it. Once you have a schedule it is not a chore.
_________
Sueanne