Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Healthy Eating > Eating Healthier

Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Mish! Sounds like you're doing a good job eating healthier. My kids still get tons of the junk, too. Case in point, dh went to the store to buy cereal--instead of coming home with a healthy choice, he bought coco puffs and lucky charms!! And let's not even get into the fact that there were other options at home already--like fruit, whole-grain toast, eggs, or pancakes!

We eat a lot of popcorn, too. I like to jazz it up a bit by using different flavors, like cayenne pepper instead of salt. I buy the huge bag at GFS, and believe me, the benefits are worth it. Just cutting out "movie munchies" has really impacted the grocery budget, and cutting out all that fat has got to be a positive thing! I also keep a bowl of fruit out where they can just grab a piece whenever they are hungry, and have switched from "cakes" to whole wheat crackers, cheese cubes, etc.

It's tough sometimes, but I believe the benefits are worth it!!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We are trying to eat healthier. Kids and I have started taking salad wraps in lunches. (Hopefully this will save $$ as well, if I don't have to grab a snack when I'm out.) My plan is to make my lunch when I make theirs, even if it's not a work day for me: then it will be in the fridge when I need lunch and I won't be tempted to go for the snacky options!!
We have upped the veggies at meal times to, it seems to be filling them up more so no need for dessert or late night snack before bed. In dh's case, taht is a habit and no amount of food will break it!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks,
I find it is a struggle every day for me.I am a kid who grew up on junk food and i am finally at the point where i can eat a small amount and then most of the time i will be ok.Don't get me wrong i am not totally nuts and tell the kids sorry you can';t have any candy ever!!I just want them to eat better and i will throw some of their candy out if i have to.Yje homemade cookies still have the sugar in them but at least i know how much sugar i used when i make them up.I think it is ok when they have ice cream as long as it is plain and not loaded up with a bunch of extra crap on it.Oh and we still have the sugar cereal here.My oldest has pancakes that will get eaten up but i sometimes forgot to offer them.

Mish
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have been trying to get my dad to eat healthier for the longest time. He is stubborn about what he eats and on top of that I have a brother, nephew and now fiance that all resist health food. I can't make one eat healthier without making them all eat better.
I think I would have a better chance fighting lions in the arena than getting these guys to eat better.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know what you mean, Osaka. My dad gets free sandwiches from the guy that stocks the vending machines in his building. Great for his budget, terrible for his health. Too much fat and salt, and he won't even add a side salad or veggie to "even it out". It's taking it's toll, believe me!

Mish--you had the exact opposite upbringing as I did lol! We were never allowed anything--right down to having to ask permission for a glass of water. So when I hit adulthood and could eat whatever I pleased, I headed straight for all the things I'd been denied. So even though I'm trying to teach my family to make healthy choices, I don't freak when they choose the less healthy one. But both of the kids are sensitive to excess sugar, so I do have to be careful with how much they get, else we don't get to leave the bathroom!! When I make hm cookies, cakes, etc, I just cut down on the amount of sugar. I sub things like honey or applesauce for almost all of it.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I find making those take away meals (pizza etc) at home so it's easier to control the calories.
I will tell you it's easy if you think about it how you can sneak extra veges and fruit into meal times to fill them up and they are none the wiser
You can vitamise/process cooked veges and mix in with a gravy, casseroles are great for this, and you top it with hash browns or chips and they think they are getting meat and chips but don't know the rest. I make my own cakes and muffins and replace half of sugar with splenda, you can put in any dried fruit you like and put a tiny amt of icing enough to keep an M&M and on top, I find it a lot easier to control the others junk food intake if you give them what they want ie:the cake with the M&M they think they are getting away with it but it's enough to satisfy them into thinking they had chocs. I make double batches and keep in the freezer so if they need more I know they have good stuff to pig out on. Soft drinks and chips are a weekend treat.
Don't get me wrong I can be as lazy as the next person and have the bought junk food but at least this lessens the impact a little LOL
A lot of the time it's mind games and what they don't know won't hurt them.

I'm not as good as I should be but I'm a lot more aware of what goes in my mouth these days.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oooh Bilby! One of my favorite tricks is to blend veggies and add them to marinara sauce--on pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, etc. My kids generally like veggies--only since their cousins have been allowed to become picky eaters, we've had a problem. I don't force them to eat anything they don't like, and they have to try two bites if it's new. But when they both just up and decide they don't like something that was their favorite yesterday....grr.

They do prefer whole grains, though. Vince told me he likes the bread because his sandwich doesn't fall apart. And Matt thinks the sauce sticks better to the pasta!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My kids sound like yours MrsManiac, they are good vege eaters anyway. Yes the spaghetti and lasagne sauce is soooo easy to hide stuff in. We have wolemeal or grain pasta. Unfortunately the good stuff is usually dearer which is why the more processed white breads etc get bought more.
Yes you have to at least eat 2 bites of something new in my house, my kids say brussel sprouts yuk, I only put 1 sprout on thier plate and they eat it, actually you can hide brussel sprouts finely sliced in coleslaw LOL
I was going to buy bagels yesterday, they are a great treat for us and wow have you seen the calories in a bagel? I left them for maybe another time!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

At times I get so confused as to which is the right kind of food that can make me stay healthy. Things get complicated more as my wife has a different plan when it comes to food. But the strange thing is she herself eats very less but insists that I should take more food than her because I have got a much more healthy physique than her. So please tell me is the right way of thinking.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Eating healthy has always been important since my DH has been a Diabetic since the sixties. I always grew my own vegetable garden to make sure we ate organic vegetables.
Reading Prevention Magazine kept us on track of the latest health issues all these years. www.prevention.com

crazykiare....All women think the same way about their husbands. Men do more physical work and have a larger frame to keep fit.
If what you are eating is healthy you will know if you are overeating by regular checkups from your doctor.
Everyone needs to have bloodwork done to check things out.
_______
Sueanne