Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anyone using the DASH diet for lowering blood pressure?

My doc recommends it; and I'm sure we'll lose weight if we follow it also:

3 dairy products per day
10 servings of fruits veg

Other than that, it's pretty open, except for trying to reduce sodium intake.

But it is soooo hard to get 10 servings of fruits/veg in during a day. I think we average about 5 servings.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've not heard of this diet plan. I guess it is not getting all of the attention that Atkins and/or South Beach have.

However, from what you posted, it sounds like a great eating plan for people with hypertension.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:40 AM

DASH diet

I have heard that this diet works. I've never tried but would love to learn more about it. I eat so many fruits and veggies already my husband calls me a bunny.
Coll
Old 05-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I didn't use a diet but just changed my eating habits. If I stay under 30 grams of fat per day I will keep the weight off and therefore keep the other problems at bay. It works for me. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies and use the spray I can't believe it's not butter. Spices add flavor to potatoes rather than loading up on butter, etc.

I lost 50 lbs this way and kept it off for 2 years.!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lila & Jora

Sounds like these two eating programs would meld wonderfully.

Lila, do you need to weigh your food & do you exercise? I joined a gym but didn't go for the three months I paid for. I work much better on my own when it comes to exercising so I have finally bought myself a video of pilates for beginners. Now all I need to do is connect the VCR to the television. LOL! Really it's not all that funny because I have about thirty or fourty pounds to lose. I walk with a cane because of muscle weakness in one of my legs so it's importaant that I lose the extra pounds.

ms_maj
Old 05-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

No, I don't actually weigh food. I did keep a diary of everything I ate and drank for the first three months. I walk daily. The last few years hubby and I have been going ballroom dancing which is excellent exercise. If I feel myself slipping at all, I start to keep a diary to get back on track. I'm not deprived sweets either. I eat them moderately. I'm talking chocolate cake and ice cream. I make my own ice cream so I can use lowfat everything to make it. I pretty much know when I get close to 30 grams of fat and stop there. I do eat a lot of veggies and fruit but not salads all the time, real food. I shop and use everyday groceries so there is no expense there. It's amazing that the weight loss also lowered my blood pressure and cholestrol. It wasn't easy at first but like I said I do slip from time to time but manage to get right back on track.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Try a google search on dash diet or Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension. Here are some links too:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/

http://www.oregondairycouncil.org/dash/
Old 06-01-2004, 05:26 AM

Jora-

I have hypertension, have had for about 6-7 years and take medication daily for it. It is totally in control even low sometimes. The biggest culprits is sodium and it's scary where it's at... in any canned or processed food as well as the obvious places like potato chips, corn chips, soda, etc.

I smoke which is a very big No No and I am trying really hard to at least curb that until I can quit. Caffeine is another culprit in high blood pressure and again, I am really making a strong effort to cut back on that too.

The whole point though on this Dash diet which I haven't heard of yet. It's not really so hard to get the fruits and veggies in. A banana is actually 2 servings of fruit. A baked potato is also 2 servings of vegetable but watch potatoes as they will raise your sugar levels and have little nutrtional value.

If you can find a copy I highly recommend a book called "The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition" or one similiar. It has almost every fruit, vegetable and fish in it and it's nutritional values. I used it like a second bible when I went on a weight loss diet 2 years ago. I lost 27 lbs. in about 3 months and have kept it off for the 2 years. I need to get back on the wagon again and loose more weight.

Anna
Old 06-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Food in moderation is the key to anything. Too much of one or the other can create problems. Potatoes aren't bad for you, it's all the toppings etc. People have been eating these same foods for many years and haven't had a problem until all these so called diets came into effect. Using the food pyramid is the key to most of the lifestyle changes that are more effective than Any diet. Exercise such as walking is a definite asset. Each person is different and what might work for one person may not work for someone else.
You can read, research, and take everyone's advice but most important you need to find what's going to work for You! and take it from there. I know a diary is a start. Log everything that you eat and drink. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am doing the DASH eating plan to try to lower my blood pressure. Anyone else had luck with this without having to go on medication?

hugs, train