Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Chef Kevin

Thanks soooooooo much for your information. I'm going to the health food store today and get some of that stuff and try it. Think I'm gonna have cut old Doogie loose and find someone that will be willing to explain things to me better or at least explain. lol

I've already started on the less meat and more vegetables diet so maybe it'll start going down. Before I found out how high it was I ate meat all day long. Oh I miss it.........
Old 05-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Darla,
Thanks so much for the posting! Ever since I found out that my DHs Cholestorol is high (260), I have been freaking out! His Triglycerides are really high apparently.
We are both vegitarians so there is no problem with the meat, he has been lactose intolerant for the last 2 years so it is not dairy products, he is 150 lbs - not a weight problem, he has always been very cautious of what he eats and excersized 2-3 times a week - So ruling these out. Since both his parents have problems with very high cholesterol, clogged arteries etc. we think it is heriditary and/or stress.

I made it mandatory for him to excercize pretty much every day (including swimming on the weekends), we are watching what he is eating much more carefully, we are also trying to keep things mellow (life with me must be a roller coaster)...
I am going to get those garlic pills and may be he will agree to try them. I am curious about Lecithin...
Let's see... Keep us posted!

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey Chef Kevin.. I'm aware of your" license to post" .. I won't be deleting you..

Darla,

You can lower high cholesterol by changing your diet, and exercising..

AVOID SATURATED and HYDROGENATED fats. ( these are found in whole-fat dairy products, butter, margarine, coconut and palm oil red meats, and baked goods, for example) Eating saturated fats raise your LDL.

Instead use olive or canola oil in cooking. These oils actually raise the HDL, the good cholesterol. They are tasty on french bread, when you flavor them with fresh herbs and garlic, and use them as a dipping oil...

Avoid highly sweet things, and very starchy things, ( potatoes, white rice, white breads, sugar, ) These raise your triglycerides. Look for the diabetic choices for sugar-free treats. The low-carb foods are very high in fat.

Since all animals produce cholesterol, and it circulates through their bloodstreams too... you want to avoid consuming too much of their cholesterol when you eat... so avoid red meat in your diet. Also avoid high fat cuts of beef and pork. When you do eat these meats, choose the leaner cuts, and remove all visible fats prior to cooking. Chicken is always a good choice, or switch to fish, especially cold water varieties that contain Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats.. These raise the HDL in your body too.

Whole grain breads and brown rice, pastas as a side dish, with lots of veggies and a lot of fiber in wonderful salads (with olive oil and balsamic vinigrette) .. These are all wonderful and good sources of fiber. High fiber, unsweetened breakfast cereals, whole fruits instead of fruit juices, and oatmeal are good for breakfast.. HIgher fiber lowers LDL.

Beans and legmes... all kinds, except re-fried beans.. they are very high in saturated fat!

Aerobic exercise also raises your HDL.. (It causes your liver to produce more of it.. )

And then again..some of us just produce more cholesterol than others.. So sometimes there is nothing we can do to control it, and medication is the only answer. We needed the cholesterol when we were growing. It was an essential part of creating our nervous system.. But now that we're grown, some of our bodies are still producing it in large ammounts, We don't need it any more, so it circulates in iour blood, and causes us all kinds of trouble.

I think there should be an off switch for cholestarol... It would be so much easier than having to diet. ( I hate dieting... Even though I like salad and legumes.. I like ice cream too.. LOL! )

Val

PS .. Just a note on Lecithin.. It's a soy by-product with wonderful antioxident properties. It's found in many foods as a stabilizer and additive, and is reportedly safe for people with soy allergies in those uses. But if you have any sensitivity to soy, or are on hormone treatments, check with your doctor before starting large doses of Lecithin

V.

Last edited by Lifestar; 05-10-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cholesterol can be lowered by diet and I've proven that. When I remararied, I started eating Klondike ice cream bars. My cholesterol went up 50 points, JUST one Kondike a night. I stopped eating them, and my cholesterol went down 50 points.
Recently, I was treating myself to a pizza a week. I'd eat 2-3 pieces and then give or throw away the rest. I did it every week. My cholesterol went up dramatically! I stopped eating pizza and my cholesterol went down 12 points in the first two weeks.
Exercise and diet will reduce cholesterol. Fried foods and eating out is what makes cholesterol go up in my opinion. You have no control what they put in the food and many times and waitresses and waiters are clueless as to what is in the food and will give wrong information if asked what is in the food.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:07 PM
A Member of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well said, Lifestar! Just a couple things to add..along with eating right and exercising, don't forget to drink lots of water! Eating lots of berries are good anti-oxidents, I put a few frozen blueberries into my oatmeal in the morning. Drink some teas with Hawthorn and crampbark (herbs) as they are hypotensive (lowers B/p), another good supplement is 'CoQ10', but check with your doctor to get on the right track...if he is not willing to help you, then find one who will, after all that is their job! Good luck!

Your Herbal Connection!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Post Lowering Cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla253 View Post
Does anyone have any tips on lowering high cholestrol? Mine is 538 and needs to come down. The doctor didn't tell me much at all. Ugh.
My nutritionist suggested using the salad plate instead of using the dinner plate. Portions should be: fist for proteins (meats); a little more than a fist for starches, and 2 fists for Vegetables. OR make a small pie chart about the size of the Salad plate, where a 1/3 is meats /proteins, starches, and vegetables.

She also suggested reading labels more than for carbs, which should not be more than 25 total carbs, unless you are a very active person, in which case 35 carbs is good. Look also at calories. 100 calories is good as long as it's more than one serving. Dairy is an exception. Normal calorie intake is about 2000 per day spread between 5 - 6 meals. That is 3 meals and 2 - 3 snack meals. snacks can be about the size of a coffee / tea saucer.

Some flavored Teas and coffees actually are 0 calories and Carbs. If you need to add flavoring to your drinks, make certain that they have low to no calories /carbs. Water is perfect for the 0/0 ratio.

Another nice Cholesterol fighting food agent is Cinnamon, and can be added to just about everything.

I usually visit WebMD (magazine was in one of our WA Doctors from the earlier 2000's) when I need help locating information about my health, and I use the information when I talk with both the nutritionist and our Doctor. Their is also suggestions for the type(s) of food that is good for certain other health concern. Some overweight people w/High Cholesterol, may also be pre/Diabetic.

As important as changing your diet (and knowing the measurement of food intake), is exercising. Low impact is walking / elliptical machines, and some yoga exercises. Dancing and swimming are others, depending on the type you do, when you do it, and how often. Riding a bicycle is another low-ish impact exercise.

Everything is about moderation.

Start out slow, about 10 minutes a day, and work your way up to about 30 minutes a day. If you don't have the time / money to go to a gym, or weather doesn't permit outdoor exercise (I've had this issue) - make time to do a lap or two or ten around your house.

If you have back / leg issues - keep to one level of the house.

Another suggestion for the exercise, and it is one our doctor(s) have suggested (weather permitting as well), try to start parking further away from any building you need to be in, by pass the escalator (unless that is the only mode between levels), and park your car closest to the last place you will be needing to be at (such as a mall, strip mall, grocery store, etc.).

Another idea, and it is more of a recycled one, than a purchasing one: Old bicycles not being used for out of doors use, can be changed to solitary exercise bikes.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins