Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Easter Share your recipes, ideas, memories, and more here!

Old 03-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Easter Egg Hunt baskets for church

Our church is having a first-ever Easter Egg Hunt for children and the ladies are looking for directions for easy to make baskets since we don't know for sure how many children we will have.

Someone suggested maing a basket out of construction paper (basket and handle). Each child will have 6 to 8 medium sized plastic eggs to find which will contain jelly beans and sweet tarts.

Any ideas? Any alternate suggestions?

Sandie
Old 03-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

at my church you BYOB....bring your own basket

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My son and I made some fun baskets a couple years back. First blow up how ever many balloons you need, one for each basket(there are a variety of sizes you can choose from). Then got some different colors of tissue paper like you put in gift bags, and cut them into strips. Put the paper on in several layers and in all different directions, kind of like a decoupage thing. You only need to cover the bottom 1/2 of the balloons. I don't remember what we used for paste, but I think it was like a flour~water~craft glue mixture. You can probably find a recipe for it somewhere. Let the paper dry thoroughly and then pop the balloon. What is left is the bowl part of the basket. Just staple on a cardboard handle and you are done! You could even have the kids make the baskets as a Sunday School craft.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Berry baskets with pipecleaner handles or plastic containers from margarine, coolwhip, etc. punch a hole put rope through and tie off, cover with fabric, or just paint outside with acrylic spray paint, just rough the outside up with sand paper first. Apply stickers and have fun!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky baskets

I like the berry basket idea, I hadn't thought of that. They would be cute if you stenciled them or dyed them as well.

One year for a playgroup we made baskets out of egg cartons. Using only the portion with the egg cups(cutting off the rest or putting it directly underneath the cup side for stability. We punch holes in the 2 longest length sides and attached a few pipe cleaners for the handle. Then the kids made bunny faces and we hot glued them on one side and a huge pompom on the other side. That way the kids knew when their basket was full they had gotten their quota. Each parent brought in 1 dozen filled eggs per child. They were all put together and hid by the adults not helping with the basket craft. When the craft was complete the kids went to seeking. This way it doesn't cost any one person a large amount. And you don't have to gamble on how many kids show if you'll have enough.

At my church, the kids look for a dozen of empty eggs (we bring our own baskets), then swap them in for a large egg which contains a silver dollar and an easter sheet to color.

Also, as if I haven't been long winded enough, what about the small bags at the dollar store, usually you can get 2 small ones for a $1.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello!
Just an idea that i use with my kids for the last couple of years and they are 11 and 15 now. Take empty strawberry baskets and the plastic bags you get from having the newspapers deliveried in or colored bags from department stores. It doesn't matter if there is printing on it or not. Cut the bags into 1 inch strips and weave in and out around the sides. Then take a pipe cleaners and tie on for handles. Fill with shredded newspaper or fake grass. They usually hold 4-6 eggs depending on the size of the eggs. The cost is almost nothing. And this helps recycle the baskets and the bags. Just watch so small children don't chew on the plastic strips. If you use colored bags they come out really pretty. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Assistant Moderator

our church you bring your own Easter basket. Strawberry baskets are great little baskets, also bottles like your bleach or detergent bottles, after washing them out and line them and put a draw string on top or another kind of handle.