Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Earth Friendly & Recycling Are you doing your part to help save the Earth and make it a better place for the next generations? Talk about recycling and going green here!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM

What Did You Recycle Today?

I had about 1 measuring cup left of cooking oil in a tall bottle, I made BBQ chicken today dbl. batch and used 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I saved the bottles, cleaned them out, let them drip dry and tonight I poured that last bit of cooking oil into one of the bottles. It has a squirt insert in it so cleaned that out as well and now I have a smaller more manageable bottle that I can squirt out just what I need without worrying about a big unmanageable bottle. I'll save the second bottle till I buy a new bottle of oil and divide it up to have 2 smaller bottles instead of the tall one that I also was having trouble fitting into my cabinets. I'll be labeling the bottles of course with a address label and clear shipping tape so we know what it is.

Anna
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Head Moderator

I had to laugh...I have my olive oil in a small Stewart's soda bottle with a liquor pour spout on it; it sits right on my Hoosier so handy whenever I need it. I laughed though because I don't have it labled, once my SIL was over and working in my kitchen while I was gone and she couldn't find my oil nor my dish soap...you see I also have my dish soap in a liquor bottle on the shelf above my sink with a liquor pourer on it. SO to the "unknown eye" what is oil and what is soap! lol

Now back to the subject matter...I took several chicken feed bags to my DS for him to package horse manure for me, added to my collection of baby food jars for a future project, saved all those pages of two lines that print out on a second page when you print something for scrap paper. "Recyecled" creek rock that was blocking the drain at the bottom of my drive for a cover on another path in the woods. I love to REUSE!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 AM

Cat Lover

Not only handy but those Stewart Soda Bottles are cute!

And good use of the bags too.. when we got manure we had to use storage totes, don't think the bags would have worked as we had to climb into the manure and shovel it, then lift it up into our truck.. hard work but so worth it.

Anna
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, that is an excellent idea to put the oil in! I just washed out a salad dressing bottle with a squeeze top. Now I know what I'll use it for! I usually buy a really big bottle of olive oil and then put it in a smaller one that I have reused many times, but I really like the idea of the squeeze top - much easier to control the amount!

I got really annoyed at DH last week for recycling one of my plastic containers. I had saved a plastic rice "jar" that I refilled from large bags of rice. The next day he finished off a jar of Ovaltine. So, now that's my new rice container.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Good idea on using the salad dressing bottle, I like it better than the plastic Baby Rays but it's what I had to work with at the moment. I'll eventually have a glass bottle with the pour lid will make the switch then.

And good going on the rice jar recycle too... I bought 14 boxes of rice the other day and am slowly gathering up glass jars to store it in.

Anna
Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Head Moderator

I try to buy pickles in the gallon and 1/2 gallon jars; they make wonderful storage jars! Then I have been lucky enough to find 1/2 gallon canning jars at the thrift store; I gather them up quick when I see them; I did have to purchase the plastic canning jars screw on lids though for them. I have been trying to pick them up on clearence when I see them to have around as I use lots of canning jars for storage (that I pick up at thrift stores).
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM

I like those plastic Ball storage lids too and have alot on hand that I've boughten a little at a time, need tons more of the regular size lids as I inherited 100 quart canning jars late last fall from my sister's mil.. what a score!!! She was going to through them away.

Anna
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Head Moderator

I pick up from a friend that has her own business all her shreds from all the legal documents she has to shred from the business.....It makes good chicken nest material, then it gets scooped up with the chicken "muck" and goes into my garden and when I have too much for that it goes into the compost pile for future fertilizer! Not much goes to waste here! lol
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 AM

What a great idea for the paper shredding and composting.

Yesterday I emptied 2 small containers of oatmeal into glass jars for safer long term storage. Saved the canister and put coffee in it, I hate those big plastic containers coffee come in now though the Maxwell House ones with the handle are handy for other things like storing craft stuff in but my kitchen cabinets are very small and the oatmeal canister takes up alot less space. Saved the second one to put more coffee in the next time I open a big canister. This is short term till I find a more permanant solution.

Anna
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, I use those large coffee canisters for kitchen scraps. I keep one on my kitchen counter next to the sink. As I peel vegetables, etc. I put the scraps in the container and empty it into the compost pile once a day. I like the fact that it has a lid because it keeps the odor down. I also use one to catch the rinse water when I do dishes. I use that water to water plants, etc.