Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Earth Friendly & Recycling Are you doing your part to help save the Earth and make it a better place for the next generations? Talk about recycling and going green here!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Got quite a few tomatoes coming up yea!
Not sure if I mentioned this before but my "old" dryer drum
was recycled into a planter that is where some of the tomatoes
are coming up.
And have my Pop's Crab Pot and it is also now a planter got
primrose in it
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Nine Year Member

[QUOTE=crochet2;

I paid $5 for the chinese lantern plant (1 of them), and now have been giving them away for at 3 years. My bed 3' x 12", is filled and the ones I am giving away are the volunteers that have chosen to spring up in the driveway by that bed.

Take care all!! Norma[/QUOTE]
Norma...I love the chinese lantern plants. I loved to dry them into floral arrangements. They look so pretty in a vase. I don't see them here in florida but wish I did.
________
Sueanne

Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag36 View Post
Got quite a few tomatoes coming up yea!
Not sure if I mentioned this before but my "old" dryer drum
was recycled into a planter that is where some of the tomatoes
are coming up.
And have my Pop's Crab Pot and it is also now a planter got
primrose in it
Patti....Great idea using the dryer drum for the tomatoes. When tomatoes reseed from leftover tomatoes they are very hardy.
Pretty hot this time of the year in florida for tomatoes but one large flower pot is surviving. Make sure it gets some afternoon shade. Trying to stick to growing herbs enjoy the teas.
________
Sueanne

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

Yep gotta love those volunteer tomatoes, I have a crop of them this year and I've waited until they are about 15-20cm tall then I replant them to where they are not so crowded, I'll have tomatoes through winter now.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

we got a bunch of wood from craigs list we recycle a bunch of privacy fence we cut it in half and made a fence around our garden I made a wheelbarrow for flowers out of some of it and have enough to make a wishing well to put flowers in dh also is making me a little red wood wagon to put flowers in so we sure have done our part will post pics when painted someone also gave us a bunch of plastic wire spools and we used them for wheels they are just for looks anyways they are going to be in 1 place

Last edited by green queen; 06-08-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

also made a garden angel out of a 4x4 with a light shade head
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Good morning all!!

Green Queen - way to go on the wood recycling. I like your garden angel too, very cute. The small wheel barrow, I guess it is a garden decoration also?

Patti, sometimes you meet the nicest people who stop to admire the recycled object, or in this case the tomatoes in that recycled object. Hope they continue to grow and produce well for you.

I recycle the plastic pint containers that I get wonton soup in. I poke holes in the bottom of one and sit it inside another one. There is a natural space at the bottom. Into the 1st one I put either a coffee filter or cheese cloth to catch anything that thinks it might want to go through the holes, and provides a drainage catch also. Then I fill with potting soil and either seeds or very young transplants. If you need an emergency pot to give someone else a plant, this works great also.

We do a "bring and barter" at my church a couple times a year, and I take my overflow of hens and chicks and aloe plants at that time in them.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

yes am going to put my recycled plants from lowes in it I buy what looks like dead plants and bring them back to life bought a bunch the other day for .50 each
Old 06-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

red wagon almost done by dh this is his first project I think he did great today he will put hubcaps on and finish the handle
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I recycled some foam boards or better said re purposed . I volunteer at the garbage garage, we teach kids about recycling and do field trips. We use foam boards, which are not recyclable for The Lorax story. We have the kids make craft truffalump trees and the foam is the field, to poke them in.