Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Earth Friendly & Recycling Are you doing your part to help save the Earth and make it a better place for the next generations? Talk about recycling and going green here!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Patti

That's cute about the bird chirping to the radio.

Today's recycle is I used up a bottle of spray cleaner, washed it, rinsed it really good, sprayed soapy water and clear water through the sprayer nozzle and will be saving it for this summer when I have to spray for bugs on the rose bushes. The sprayer for the bug spray at Lowes is really expensive this will work fine for small areas and catch any of those leftover zuchini bugs if they show up here, fingers crossed they've moved on to greener pastures.

I'm also saving my litre soda bottles, water jugs from dh's distilled water for his machine and laundry soap bottles that have been cleaned out to recycle water for our garden this year.

Anna
Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Assistant Moderator

Oh oh am I in trouble LOL
I must say it's been a while since I've seen you around
or am I just not looking in the right places

Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I have plastic "silverware" and as most people
do I don't toss them but wash and reuse. I use backs of
junk mail envelopes for notes to myself or when checking
"checking accts" online. Keep 2 ltr bottles for water to
use in case of power outage ala hurricanes etc. These
are used to flush or water plants
Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Just for the record I have regular
stainless too not just the plastic
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Gee it's been awhile since we started this thread... my recycling today is saving all my jars. Yesterday I had a choice at the store.. canned sp. sauce or jarred.. they were both the same price so I got the glass jars so I can recyle them. I store all my sp. noodles, oatmeal, dry dog food, sugar, flour, anything dry goes into recycled jars or my canning jars. We have had trouble in the past 8 months or so with mice and last summer a neighbor down the street moved out of a roach infested house that they rented. Over the late summer they started migrating to all the neighbors houses including mine.. Groovy! Since I store everything I can in jars, we were able to get rid of them very quickly. I even take pudding mixes/jello mixes out of their boxes, store the paper bags in sp. sauce or jelly jars that my neighbors save for me and put them in those along with the instruction tab off the box.. same with stuffing mixes, brownie, cake mixes, etc. Small jars that olives come in, pickle relish, I save for when I make jellies/jams/preserves in the summer.. seems like I always will have a small amount left that isn't enough for a reg. jelly jar or a batch doesn't set up firm enough so I empty them into recycled jars and put in the deep freezer(freezer jam).

This year our city started a recycle program where we got a pretty blue can that you put all your recylables in so nothing is getting put in our landfills that can be recyled which is great I think. I don't save card board boxes that food comes in so those definitely go in the recyling can now.

I crochet alot and will always have a small amount of yarn string left as I switch from one color to another on my projects.. I am recycling those for Christmas. For small boxes I will tie them around the boxes and tie a bow, old fashioned looking and not wasting materials. I am using a recyled jar to store those small scraps of yarn. If I have bigger amounts of leftover cotton yarn when I am making my dish rags, I save those and make myself a multicolored dish rag.. I don't care what colors they are, free is good. The dish rags I make we sell in our store, craft shows and yard sales.

Anna
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

I reused a tissue box on a variation Mini Notebook From A Cereal Box FC craft club
Post 6 http://www.familycorner.com/forums/c...raft-club.html
I put the printed part of the tissue box on the outside. I think it turned out well.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

I recycle just about everything cans,jars,plastic,wood,pieces of furniture i make crafts out of everything goes over well at church bazaars and things neighbors love it as they will buy certian pieces.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Awesome job gang.

I wish more people would think outside the box. I was talking to a young cashier at Krogers on Friday about how I store everything in containers. She said "I would like some of those Rubbermaid containers to store my cereal in but they are so expensive". I pulled out those spaghetti sauces in the jar and said "when you buy some of these, recycle for storing your cereal in", she just kind of got that look like "I'm just too lazy to wash out the jars" I could see that going through her mind. Sigh! Hopefully someday that idea will take plant in her mind when she looks again at the price of Rubbermaid which while they are nice, they really don't do near as good a job of storing and keeping dry good fresh versus glass jars.

Anna
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

We have 4 recycle bins they are rectangle boxes. And
most every Friday they are all out there to be picked up. To cut
down cost I have turned in my one garbage can so now will have
to really watch what is going in the garbage. I use all K-Mart etc
bags as trash can liners or if tossing something yucky put it in couple
of them and then in garbage.
If I have any bits of thread shoe strings or the like I put it out on railing and birds come get it for their nests. So helping God's critters and not landing in landfill.
Your jar idea is great Anna but I don't have the space to stack jars
boxes stack easier. So far no mice or roaches thank God
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Food Storage Recyling and Proactive Mice and Rodent Control

Patty

The critter problem yes be thankful.. I have a extreme phobia of all those kind of things and we never had a problem with any of it till last summer when we had a hot dry summer and then those nasty neighbors down the street.. I can not even imagine how they lived with so many roaches, from what I was told it was extreme. My friend who lives next door told me the mattresses they threw out, roaches were literally crawling all over them and then right away they started crawling across the ground to her house. She had her son (25) get up on her roof and spray as well as around the house and in the house and then eventually all of us neighbors up and down the street started seeing them. We have a good communication structure so we all told each other and we all immediate got proactive on getting roach sprays, boric acid powder and traps. I called the property owner and they never even bothered calling me back.

So anyways.. because I am so proactive all the time we didn't have as bad a problem as we could have. Mice overbred last summer too and this is the first year in the 20 years we've owned our home that they came in.. I have those sonic things and it seems to help. I can't put bait down because of our dogs.. mice not only eat it but they take it back to their nest and drop pieces along the way which is where my dogs could pick it up and eat it or eat the dead mouse and it will stick make our dogs extremely sick. So no bait/poison. We will be sealing up cracks and crevices this summer all over the house outside.

Anna