Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Earth Friendly & Recycling Are you doing your part to help save the Earth and make it a better place for the next generations? Talk about recycling and going green here!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:47 AM

Anna, Sam's Club has those big plastic containers with pretzels or cheese balls in them. Sometimes the dollar store has them too.

I drain the liquid from foods through a collander before putting it in the trash. Less messy that way.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow, lots of great ideas on here!

Lifestar, I use those zippered containers for many different things, too - mostly for craft supplies. I have a bunch of smaller ones from curtain panels that I use for my smaller cross-stitch projects. I put all of the threads, fabric, small scissors and chart in there. I take it with me to doctor's visits, etc.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Cleaned out fish tank and used water to go on plants and bushes. Going to Freecycle the tank and food.
I use the zipped bags smaller ones to go in suitcases when for things that will spill, shampoo etc And larger ones to stash summer shoes or winter shoes.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Nine Year Member

Thanks Anna I'll try the newspaper trick. WE stopped getting the paper but I can get leftovers for the bird cages and the coupons too from my neighbors. And the dog food bag will be good to use, can store in the garage and will ask neighbors for theirs also. Maybe even ask at the pet shop? Will need to watch for mice and bugs though.

The girls are getting better at remembering to toss paper in the paper recycling bags. I recycled tons of paper today in cleaning out file drawers and continuing to red up the basement. Got my business papers all in one spot in a file cabinet, will help a great deal with keeping my desk clear.

The girls got two snails for the fish tank, so they are now 'recycling' fish poo and algae.

Also the usual of composting the kitchen scraps. I do need to order some more worms, special ones for composting? Has anyone tried regular earth worms for their compost bin, you know the ones we dig up to go fishing with, red wigglers or earthworms?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

When I had my compost thing I just used "fishing" worms worked just fine. I have put worms in my large pots that have small roses and other plants keeps the dirt from getting hard as my head.
I save the tomato seeds when I have an especialy good tomato and then plant them in LARGE pots too. I just kept some Clementine seeds (they rarely have seeds) and will plant them to see if they come up orange trees are pretty I think.
Going to lay down
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Ellen

One of my compost bins is actually just a corner of the yard where two fences meet, I bought some chicken wire and a cpl. metal fence post and made a squared off area. I throw all my compost in there and use a pitchfork to till it around. Earth worms are natural in that spot.. they just come up through the earth there. My black compost bin I bought from Lowes I haven't seen any worms yet, they may be buried deep down.. I'm not too hip on this bin at all, it's going to be a pain in the a** to get the compost back out of it, the fancy little drawers on the bottom are not going to work like the picture shows.

Recycle Today: We have a very old (16 years) dog cage that has been out in our shed for at least the past 10 years, it's a little rusty and the floor bottom had a lot of surface rust (not holes). We brought it in, cleaned it up and put peel and stick floor tile in it so now our new Rottweiler puppy has a cage big enough for her and we didn't have to spend money buying a new one.

Anna
Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good going Anna on fixing up the crate for your puppy. Don't think he will outgrow it any time soon.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks Patti

Yes, she's only supposed to get to 100 lbs. I had bought this cage for our first dog a Boxer/Rottweiler mix after she chewed up both our love seat, couch, wedding album, dh's partial and assorted other items seperation anxiety big time! I didn't know how big she would get so I bought the super duper size cage, LOL! My nephew when he was about 3 easily walked in it, LOL!

Anna
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yikes Anna all that destroyed by one dog. Yep big crate if your nephew could just walk in it. Hope this puppy doesn't do any major chewing
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Nine Year Member

We had a german shepard that ate the corner cushion of the couch, one Nike tennis shoe and my math book LOL. Took the book in to the teacher luckily we didn't have to pay for the book as the next year they got new books.

We use a cool whip container as dog food scoop but I'm starting to use the Maxwell house coffee containers as it has a handle and will be easier to handle.

I put the dish soap lid down in the dish water as it was all goopy with dried soap while rinsing out the bottle running water for dishes last night.

Roberta