Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Earth Friendly & Recycling Are you doing your part to help save the Earth and make it a better place for the next generations? Talk about recycling and going green here!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Kathy

I also use one for scraps for the compost but hadn't thought about the water. I was on a roll last year recycling water for the garden but kind of got off track.

Anna
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM

When I change the oil in my deep fryer, I use the plastic coffee cans. This way it don't make a mess in the garbage can if the plastic trash bag leaks.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 AM

Minny

Excellant idea.. I hate big wet messes in my trash cans and I always worry about it leaking, ick!

Anna
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 AM

Anna, it's bad enough to have to clean the trash can out, but if grease & cooking oil leaks from the trash bag, it's a big mess! I can imagine the mess the trash collectors see inside the trucks that compact the garbage ...glad I don't have to clean those trucks!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member

I use the coffee cans also to hold kitchen scraps for the compost pile.

I use the smaller empty paper cans to hold grease, fat, etc. then put in the trash with the lid on. DH wants to throw them away so he gets yelled at a lot LOL.

This week I used 2 large plastic bags from Staples for my trash and this coming week will be 2 20lb dog food bags for the trash. I have a large lidded plastic trash can in the kitchen that we keep the dog food in I bought it years ago for $5.

Roberta
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm more of a city gal. I live in a suburb of NYC,and grew up in the Bronx. So recycling is mostly about rinsing, sorting, and remembering to put it out on collection day.
I like to reuse and repurpose when I can. I LOVE the idea of dividing the cooking oil into smaller bottles. The salad dressing squeezie bottles are wonderful! I also have a small kitchen with only 8 ft or so of combined linear surface area, so I don't have a lot of space for canisters and such. I keep an old Italian Biscotti tin for flour on the counter, because I love to bake, and I use pretty cobalt jars with latching lids for sugar, splenda and salt.
I use empty coffee cans for grease collecting. If you peel off the label, they look like stainless steel.
I bought the Domino sugar in the plastic canister once, and I loved it, It's so easy to lift. I kept the canister and just started refilling that with bag sugar, I used one for my potato flakes too.
I saved a pretty foam pump jar of hand soap from Bath and Body Works, and just refill it with a mix of store-brand hand soap mixed 50/50 with water. It foams just fine. :-)
I have saved those big plastic bag things that you buy sheet sets or comforters in, and I repack them with "guest packs".. Blanket, sheets, towels, wash cloths etc. So when we have an overnight guest, I have a little "suitcase" filled with what they'll need.
I do a lot of storage recycling for my crafts, as we all do. But I can't wait for more creative suggestions. Great thread Anna!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I make sweet ice tea n gallon size pickle jars, I put leftovers n glass mayo/salad dressin bottles, it's easy to store that way. I use folger plastic containers for feed scoops, and reuse egg cartons for tons of things. Newspapers r saved n used around plants n garden under straw mulch, works great. canceled stamps r saved n sent to Stamps for Wounded n VA for patient to use.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Gina & Kent buy those huge "jars" of Pretzel Sticks think they are 3 1/2# and I get the huge 2 1/2 & 4 1/2 # jars of Animal Crackers ( I am addicted to them) and when empty I or Judy washes them out dries well and then puts paper towels down in them to absorb any left over moisture. I use them to put my stash of baked cookies during the holidays. I also use my Top50 bottles and when I buy the juice in boxes pour it out of them and into Top50 plastic bottles. All of the above are plastic. I also use the yellow sugar one again have 2 so buy the bulk sugar and pour into them, use them too for flour and put those in freezer to ward off bugs. Love reading all these tips
Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member

For lunches I use jelly jars and small condiment jars with screw top lids. Today the cantaloupe went in a 12 oz round Ball jar and the yogurt into a 6 oz Goya marinated artichoke hearts jar. WW wants us to measure or be conscious of portion sizes and this is an easy way for me to do it.

I use double brown lunch bags for my specialty flours in the freezer, fold the tops over and fasten with a rubber band and label with a marker. Soft, packable, and the doubling helps against drifting leaks if there is a small hole.

I would like to get away from plastic kitchen trash bags, ideas? leaky stuff dripping on the carpet on its way to the garage is not fun. I do try to recycle my kitchen scraps though, and I like the idea of the sugar canister being used, right now I jsut toss it in a bowl and leave it uncovered. Our kitchen is so cold that there is no rotting or gnats, but summer is coming and I think we will try to do without the AC this year.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Where did you all get the yellow sugar canisters? I can't remember if I've seen those in our stores. We rarely use sugar of any kind but for now what I do have is in a folgers container. I have a small canning jar with sugar in the cabinet, laughing here.. a cpl. thanksgivings ago my sisters bf wanted sugar in his coffee and I couldn't even find the sugar it had been so long since we used it.

Ellen

About the only alternative I can think of to plastic trash bags is those big brown bags that you use for leafs in the fall. And of course dog food bags are a wonderful option. When I pour something in the trash that is liquid (such as a big pot of BBQ sauce mixed with water) I first put newspapers in the bottom of the trash can, then pour and carry the whole trash can outside to the main trash can, zip up the trash bag and put it in the big trash can.

Patti

I love those big storage containers that pretzels come in, someone in the store told me the other day about a new store called Ollies that sells the gallon plus size plastic containers with pretzels cheap so I'll be looking for that store.

Lisa

I'm thinking about that too.. we don't use miracle whip directly on our food, mostly we use it mixed with sweet pickles for fish or tuna salad and I think the plastic salad dressing bottles would work very well and I would only have to mix once instead of each time we have it.

Lifestar

What a great idea for the guest gift set, I save those too and use them for different things.. right now I have one full of my purse "body's" that I don't have made up yet. For those of you who don't know I make blue jean hippy purses that are made from childrens blue jean upper body part.

Anna