Visit for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back Forums > >

Divorce Divorce can be an emptional and financial roller coaster. Talk about it with those who have been through it before.

Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 AM
Abby01's Avatar
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ludington,Michigan
Posts: 106
Question Child Support Question

As of 9/24, I will be married one year to my wonderful husband

This is my first marriage and his third. He has 2 boys (13 & 15 y/o) from a previous marriage. His ex-wife is starting to complain to him about child support payments. My husband had to pay support in the past but it was dropped a few years ago by her choice. She thought they had another chance to get back together but it didn't work. Anyways, she now wants to push the support issue again. My question is "If I'm working, getting a paycheck, can they touch my money? I was told two stories here in Michigan that she can get money from me because I'm married to him and then I heard that they can't touch mine because the kids aren't mine, I have not adopted them, they are my stepsons." I am nervous about this and if they can do this, we're going to be suffering financially. I don't know how they can touch my money. This is between them from when they were married and their kids. I would love to know what the laws are and any advice that would be helpful for me. I thought that someone out there would know. Thanks for letting me vent and appreciate advice very much!!!!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM
lrivetz's Avatar
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 621
Child Support Law in Michigan

I am not familiar with the Law in Michigan regarding child support but hopefully this site can give some insight:

I hope this is what you need.
There are two theories about arguing with women. Neither one works.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
jtkz's Avatar
FamilyCorner Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
I don't know about Michigan laws, but in Iowa, they can only go by the biological parents earnings, not the step parent's earnings. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Amanda's Avatar
FamilyCorner Fanatic
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 4,490
I'm not sure how it varies from state to state, but I am pretty sure they can only garnish the wages of the actual biological parent, so your money would be safe. Thing is though, if he doesn't pay AND it is court ordered, they can seize your IRS tax refunds, suspend your driver's license, deny a visa for traveling abroad, put a judgement on your credit report, etc, etc.

My husband and I pay child support for one child that ends in June of next year. We fell behind and they suspended his driver's license and slapped our credit report with a judgement. We had to sign a new arrangement to take care of the arrears and then they will reinstate his license.

It's not worth falling behind I guarantee it!

Has she gone back to court to get it reinstated?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Jeannie's Avatar
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In the piney woods of Texas
Posts: 1,185
I would suggest that you call the Family Court in your area and ask them.
I would also suggest a consultation with a Family attorney....they HAVE the answers.

How I see it is that the children are still minors.
He should have continued support regardless of what the wife said, even if he put away the monthly payments in a bank account. She could, if she has an enforceable child support order, say that he quit making payments!...He would still be liable for all that back support. If he did not get a Change in support orders from the Court, he could be in 'trouble'.
We here are not lawyers nor are our particular state laws the same as Michigan law. Don't go this alone.. .do get a consult with a Family Law attorney. I don't think they can come after you personally for the payment, but the monies in a marriage are co-mingled, and in that instance, part of your money may have to go into those payments so your husband would be in compliance with any child support order or he may wind up in jail.

It works both ways, you know. Many second marriage husbands support the children of their wives. It doesn't last forever....and in this case, the kids are almost of age.

Here are some resources for you..
Get a rise out of life!- Bake Bread!

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Jojess4's Avatar
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Belton, Missouri
Posts: 34

You really need to contact a family lawyer or family services should be able to tell you. I know that if they try to take your irs refund you can file a form that states that it isn't your responsibility it is called an injured spouse. That way they can only take his refund. I would say they cannot touch your money since you have not adopted them, but I would check the laws first. I would push hard to see a lawyer if he quit paying and now she is wanting money. Especially if it was not court sanctioned.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2006, 01:59 PM
cat lover's Avatar
Head Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taswell,Indiana
Posts: 8,054
Contacting a lawyer in your area is by best the best advice! I had a relative that thought if he just quit work and sent a letter to his ex that he owuld no longer be paying child support because he was no longer working! His current wife does work. His ex contacted a lawyer in the state the divorce was granted and orders were put in place and he does have to pay or his wife's monies will be taken. And all the tax refunds will go to the ex, credit reports will be tagged, etc. This is a rather lengthy story that has many twists and turns, but ultimately I feel if you have the children you should be willing to support them.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Abby01's Avatar
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ludington,Michigan
Posts: 106
thanks for all your help and advice. First thing I did was take his name off our checking acct so that way in case she gets $$, she can't touch my money in the checking. I figure it's a start
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 AM
cat lover's Avatar
Head Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taswell,Indiana
Posts: 8,054
Good Luck and wishing you the best!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 07:33 PM
BuddyBeanieBaby's Avatar
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ~Between Twilight & New Moon~
Posts: 130,322
All the best to you
Live With Courage...Love With Faith...Laugh With Hope...
Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Child Support Works DeBora4BobbyL Parenting Issues 19 12-01-2016 11:44 PM
Child leashes and harnesses Amanda Toddlers 56 05-27-2015 03:08 AM
Been There Done That! Toilet Training Tips ajrsmom Toddlers 3 06-05-2006 07:47 PM
Helping Your Child Look Forward to School ajrsmom Elementary Aged Kids 1 08-02-2005 05:40 AM
(NOT) Receiving Child Support sharlibird Parenting Issues 9 07-28-2005 04:40 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.


Our Family FunBook is packed full of ideas from parents just like you!

Our members say that they have never found a friendlier message board community than ours!

Our kid's craft section is filled with easy ideas for creative little minds.

We have tons of free printable coloring pages to keep your little ones happy.

We offer a wide variety of free newsletters delivered right to your inbox.

Our Household Hints & Tips have a wealth of information on cleaning, organizing, and more!
Go to the funbook Go to forums Go to kid's crafts Go to printables Go to newsletters Go to Hints & Tips

Home || Newsletters || Advertising || Terms of Use || Privacy || Services || Submissions || Contact Us || Media Opportunities || Link To Us || Shop || Feedback || Staff || e-Cards || Reminder Service® is sponsored in part by...

Visit our friends --> MomsMenu | Main Street Mom | She Knows | Baby University | Personal Fitness Zone |

Copyright Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use/Disclaimer