Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-04-2002, 06:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Salsa Recipes!!

I'm looking for home-made salsa recipes... a lot of you have mentioned that you make it... please share your recipes!!

Caroline
Old 06-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Because my husband is diabetic I make my own picante sauce. The recipe followes

8 cans tomatoes (they can be sliced,cooked,whole, etc)
1 bunch fresh cilantro (you can use dried but my dh loves the fresh
1 whole bulb of garlic
1 large onion (I use red onions)
2 # chilli peppers of choice. (I pickle mine at the first of the month when I buy them and then I don't have to add vinegar)

Drain the tomatoes and save the juice for later to thin the picante sauce or save for later use in the freezer. Chop all the ingreadients in a food processor or blencer until as chuncky as desired. Place in a heavy pot and simmer for at least a hour. Place in glass jars and put on lid. If you desire to can the picante sauce place the jars in canner and process as you would tomatoes. Mine does not last long enough to can. It Keeps for a month or more in the fridge.

To pickle peppers:

Find a glass gallon jar and fill will fresh hot peppers of choice. Pour cider vinegar over the peppers and place in refrigerator until needed. If you want to can the peppers to save refrigerator space place the peppers in 1/2 gallon canning jars. Add 1 tsp salt and boil the vinegar to pour over the peppers. Pour over the peppers and turn on top of lid. Let sit this way till cool. Peppers will last all year this way.

Jackie
Old 06-05-2002, 04:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Hot Salsa Recipe

Hot Salsa Sauce
Makes 8 – 9 pints

This recipe is a combination of several recipes I have tried -- it is sweet and spicy. You can adjust the hotness by what varieties of peppers you add.

10 – 12 cups tomatoes, cut up (about 15 medium tomatoes; scalded & peeled)
Note: strain some of the juice off of the chopped tomatoes or the salsa will be too runny
2 – 3 green peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
additional peppers to add hotness: green chili pepper, seeded & diced
yellow (banana) pepper, seeded & minced
jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
Thai Sun peppers, seeded & minced
(very hot – I grow in my garden)
1 – 2 large onions, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
1/2 -- 3/4 cup brown sugar
3 – 5 cloves garlic, minced (fresh if possible)

1 – 2 tbsp dry red pepper flakes
2 tbsp salt (pickling/canning salt works best)
¼ tsp coriander
1 tbsp cilantro
¾ tsp cumin
1 – 2 tsp black pepper

1 6 oz can V8 juice
¼ cup cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large pot (6 quart size works well). Bring to a boil over medium heat then turn down and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into pint canning jars that have been “sterilized” in the dishwasher. Scald lids according to directions on the lid box and seal jars.

Allow jars to cool about 12 hours then refrigerate. If you don’t have room in the refrigerator to store lots of jars, then be sure to process using the boiling-water canner method.

Tips: A hand chopper works well for preparing the peppers and onions. I chop the peppers and onions the day before to save time. I also combine all the dry spices and store in an airtight container until needed.

[B]
Old 06-06-2002, 10:31 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Salsa

My MIL is Mexican, and this is a twist off of her version:

Salsa
Recipe By: Jennifer A. Wickes

4 tomatillos
4 tomatoes, vine-ripened
1/2 yellow onion
2 jalapenos
1 rib celery -- minced
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup corn -- optional
1 cup black beans -- optional

1.) Peel tomatillos (like an onion). Put in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes.

2.) Mince tomatoes, onions, jalapeños (if extra heat is desired, use seeds), celery, garlic and cilantro.

3.) Crush tomatillos and add to tomato mixture.

4.) Add salt, cumin and lime (lemon) juice.

5.) Mix thoroughly. If "optional" items are desired, add now, and mix again.

6.) Let the salsa sit over night.

Yield:
"4 cups"

Serving Ideas : Serve with chips, eggs, grilled meats, tacos, burritos or fajitas.

NOTES : Use lemon juice instead of lime juice.

;-)

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-2002, 08:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been making salsa for a couple of years now and I apologize that I don't have a recipe but I have found that every batch is good and they just get better as I learn what I like.

I use fresh roma tomatoes maybe 4 to 5 lbs (it takes us a week or so to go through this in the summer
one white or yellow onion
1-3 jalepenos, you can deseed for milder salsa or leave the seeds in for hotter (also note the smaller the jalepenos the more punch they pack and 3 jalepenos would be a lot, very hot) I usually use 1-2 and don't deseed
if you deseed them becareful of what you touch, last summer I got jalepeno juice under my thumbnail and it was quite painful!!
1 bunch of cilantro
garlic and or garlic salt
lemon or lime juice
vinegar (I usually use white but have used cider before as well)

I start by chopping tomatoes in the food processor, then the onion and cilantro ( usually do the cilantro setms as well since they taste fine and saves time)
Mix those together in a big container
chop (in food processor if you can) jalepeno
I then add some of the jalepeno and everything else to taste. You just keep adding stuff until you get a taste you like. When I have the perfect salsa I package it up in smaller containers and store in the fridge (it keeps quite well and usually tastes better after a day, once the flavors have marinated) Grab a bag of chips and enjoy. And if you family likes it as much as mine you will be doing it again next week!!!

Good Luck and happy experimenting!!
Gus 7/02
Old 06-09-2002, 06:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Salsa

I like fresh salsa. When my garden doesn't have tomatoes, I use 1 can of diced tomates, fresh green peppers, garlic, hot peppers from jar, sweet onion, cumin, red pepper, salt, black pepper, cilantro. First I put all the ingredients except the tomatoes and cilantro in my processer. I process for a few seconds. I add the canned tomatoes next and cilantro, and process slightly. I like chunky salsa but if you don't just process longer.

Yummy..now I have to make some salsa today!
Old 06-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Salsa Recipes

Originally posted by: FamilyCorner
WebMom - FamilyCorner.com
Want a flower?

Here's the one that I make, sorry for the sketchy measurements, but I do this by site, so bear with me!

2 tomatoes (not too ripe, still a little firm), chopped
2 bunches of green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of fresh cilanto, stems removed and chopped
1-2 serrano peppers (the more you put in the hotter it is! If you can't get serrano peppers, any other hot pepper will do)
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
season to taste with garlic salt and freshly ground pepper

Just dump everything in a bowl and mix it up! I let mine sit for an hour or so. In the fridge it will last a day, but not much longer. Never tried canning it, it goes too fast. LOL

~~~~~~~~
Old 06-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Originally posted by: mentoringmom

In A Hurry Salsa

We love salsa and like to try lots of different ones -

Here's a great one that's good year round --
in the summer I use fresh tomatoes - rest of
the time I use the canned ones.

1 (16 oz) can Tomatoes drained
1 (4 oz.) can of diced green chiles (or use fresh)
1 T Cilantro or more - I like a heavy cilantro flavor
2 T white Vinegar
1 t white Sugar

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
I like to chill before serving.

Enjoy...
Old 06-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Originally Posted by: Hatvany

Because my husband is diabetic I make my own picante sauce. The recipe followes

8 cans tomatoes (they can be sliced,cooked,whole, etc)
1 bunch fresh cilantro (you can use dried but my dh loves the fresh
1 whole bulb of garlic
1 large onion (I use red onions)
2 # chilli peppers of choice. (I pickle mine at the first of the month when I buy them and then I don't have to add vinegar)

Drain the tomatoes and save the juice for later to thin the picante sauce or save for later use in the freezer. Chop all the ingreadients in a food processor or blencer until as chuncky as desired. Place in a heavy pot and simmer for at least a hour. Place in glass jars and put on lid. If you desire to can the picante sauce place the jars in canner and process as you would tomatoes. Mine does not last long enough to can. It Keeps for a month or more in the fridge.

To pickle peppers:

Find a glass gallon jar and fill will fresh hot peppers of choice. Pour cider vinegar over the peppers and place in refrigerator until needed. If you want to can the peppers to save refrigerator space place the peppers in 1/2 gallon canning jars. Add 1 tsp salt and boil the vinegar to pour over the peppers. Pour over the peppers and turn on top of lid. Let sit this way till cool. Peppers will last all year this way.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Originally posted by: khagler

Hot Salsa Recipe

Hot Salsa Sauce
Makes 8 – 9 pints

This recipe is a combination of several recipes I have tried -- it is sweet and spicy. You can adjust the hotness by what varieties of peppers you add.

10 – 12 cups tomatoes, cut up (about 15 medium tomatoes; scalded & peeled)
Note: strain some of the juice off of the chopped tomatoes or the salsa will be too runny
2 – 3 green peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
additional peppers to add hotness: green chili pepper, seeded & diced
yellow (banana) pepper, seeded & minced
jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
Thai Sun peppers, seeded & minced
(very hot – I grow in my garden)
1 – 2 large onions, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
1/2 -- 3/4 cup brown sugar
3 – 5 cloves garlic, minced (fresh if possible)

1 – 2 tbsp dry red pepper flakes
2 tbsp salt (pickling/canning salt works best)
¼ tsp coriander
1 tbsp cilantro
¾ tsp cumin
1 – 2 tsp black pepper

1 6 oz can V8 juice
¼ cup cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large pot (6 quart size works well). Bring to a boil over medium heat then turn down and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into pint canning jars that have been “sterilized” in the dishwasher. Scald lids according to directions on the lid box and seal jars.

Allow jars to cool about 12 hours then refrigerate. If you don’t have room in the refrigerator to store lots of jars, then be sure to process using the boiling-water canner method.

Tips: A hand chopper works well for preparing the peppers and onions. I chop the peppers and onions the day before to save time. I also combine all the dry spices and store in an airtight container until needed.