Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-05-2004, 03:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dr. Phil's - Ultimate Weight Solution

In looking for a plan for me (now that I can no longer Somersize due to health reasons) I am looking for a new way to eat and lose weight.

So has anyone read his book? What do you think of it?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Shawn,
I have not read Dr.Phils ultimate weight loss book, but have been watching his show with the people on the challenge. After my baby is born (due 2-28-04) I want to follow this its not a diet though but a "lifestyle change" I never lost all the weight from my first pregancy but I really want to lose after this baby, I think its more important to me now! Anyway I think I will probaly end up purchasing the book, from watching the show people are losing around the country they are starting their own support groups. I dont know yet what I will need to lose but before pregancy I could stand to have at least lost 25 to 30 pounds! You may want to check this book out, its a life time solution vs a I was on this diet for 6 months but gained it all back! Just my opinion!
Leighann
Old 01-09-2004, 05:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well as soon as this baby comes I want to start! I know I wont be able to throw in physcial activity right away, my goal in my head right now is to be back to pre pregancy weight (from this one) by June! Then go from there. Good luck!
Leighann
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have purchased the book but haven't read it yet. I watch the Dr. Phil Show and think he makes a lot of sense. Diets don't work but his plan is a whole lifestyle change. It seems like it might be a good plan not only to lose weight but to keep it off. It will be interesting to see who else replies to your message and to see if anyone has had success using this book.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have read about half the book. I have not started the diet plan as yet, wanted to get over the hump of the holidays, plus wanted to read most of the book first so I felt I really knew what I was doing.
I have several thoughts about the book:
1. It really makes you examine yourself. Your habits, motivations, how you sabatage yourself.

2. It forces you to use people around you as checks and balances which for me is a good thing. Despite being 200 pounds overweight (it's working, that is the first time I have ever wrote that down anywhere) I still don't talk much about my weight problem, even to my husband.

3. It forces you to examine your environment. The crap we bring into our house. I myself am always saying I buy it for the day care kids but end up eating it also, pretzels, cookies, animal crackers. Etc.

So anyway, I think if you make up your mind to follow it and really do the work it will be a great program.
I would really like to begin the program now.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 01-18-2004, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Miss Kitty,
Good luck, please keep us updated on how its working for you. i will be joining you before you know it!
Leighann
Old 01-18-2004, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have read the book halve way It is very intense. You have to follow his recommendations for it to work. One big thing is that you are not to do it on your own. We could start a support group right threw this list, It suppose to work better with support. I have been hesitant to start because one step is to get rid of the once that sabotage you. My DH is my biggest saboteur, and I am not willing to leave him, we been together since 1978, a long time. And we still love each other! Anyway, I need to get with the program due to health reasons and I wand to be able to have fun again, I been avoiding public gatherings.
Martina
Old 01-18-2004, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Atkins

I know this isn't what you were asking, but my DH and I have been doing Atkin's since mid-August. I've lost 42 (need to lose 100 total) and he's lost 52. Of anything we've ever tried, this has been the easiest, and I can see it being a lifestyle. If you do 20 carbs a day, you lose REALLY fast. We probably do 40 a day.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Raw Vegan Lifestyle

I know that this might not be for most people, but I think that one thing anybody can do to lose weight really fast is to cut out most, or hopefully all, meat and dairy products. Any refined sugar and the like are also quite toxic to our bodies and not suitable for ingestion. If you give yourself 30 days and eat nothing but raw fruits, vegetables and nuts (as much as you want) you will see a drastic difference in how you feel and look. Also incorporate cardio and weight training and the results will be even more dramatic. If anyone wants to see some amazing before and after pictures and read some great testimonials, please email me and I will be happy to send you the address for a wonderful site with tons of information.

Amanda
[email protected]
Old 01-20-2004, 06:33 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Shawn!

I've read his book and now have his food guide as well, which contains his Rapid Start Plan. It is an excellent program and is for life.

I started the Rapid Start Plan on Thursday and when I weighed in at TOPS yesterday, I was down 4.5 pounds. This was after working out at Curves consistently for 3 months, losing 17 inches over my entire body but no weight. I'm continuing to work out at Curves and I've added mall walking this week. (Intentional Exercise is Key 6 in his book.) I hope to see another good loss next week.

Because of genetics, I lose weight extremely slowly and am awaiting results of some bloodwork this week.

Anyway, hope that helps some!