Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-08-2003, 02:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Atkins and carb addiction

To the person who gets shaky without sugar: The Atkins diet has a period when your body is adjusting to the metabolic changes that take place when you follow it properly. It takes from 3 days to 3 weeks, judging from the experience of friends who have successfully followed it. After that, sugar makes you feel sluggish and for me, slight nauseated. If you can get through the adjustment period, Atkins is a fun diet!

I just found a book at a thrift shop called "The Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet." The premise is that some people are overweight because of the way their body reacts to food with overproduction of insulin. There is a questionaire to help you tell if you are one of them. The diet has anAtkins type breakfast, a less restricted but portion controlled,lunch and an anything goes for exactly 60 minutes "resard" dinner. You're supposed to lose 2 pounds a week on it.
I'm losing a bunch of weight quickly on Atkins now, but I may try the "addicts" diet for maintenance, because I definitely fit the profile, and I like the idea of being able to eat anything I want once a day!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

weight watchers

I love WW and it is working for me. I too don't have the money or the time to join and go to meetings. In fact after buying groceries and paying bills I couldn't really afford to join the online group either. But what I did find was invaluable. I found a group on the yahoo site that is incredible it is the best support group I have ever been a part of. These women & men (a few) will support anyone. They give words of encouragement, suggestions to help if your not getting enough veggies, water, protein ect... they do their best to help in very way shape and form. They post recipes, pictures, instructions it is just a great board. I hope it is OK to post this if not I appologize but here is the web address for this board if anyone is interested:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weight..._Recipes-PLUS/

Thanks,

Lynn

By the way I have lost 16 1/2 pounds in 8 weeks which is an average of 2 pounds per week I am one excited and happy lady.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Weight watchers

You should look in to when Weight watchers is having "free registration"...they might even be running a "special" right now - but they do run specials where they waive the registration fee - which means you get all the program detail and instruction for the cost of a meeting. I am sure you could follow the program based on that one meeting - however, I find the money I spend weekly at ww WELL WORTH IT. I am a "lifetime" member (not sure if that is good or bad) but basically I never have to pay a registration fee so I have been going on and off for years. I go to a meeting now on Fridays - which I love - because I feel very motivated for the weekend which is usually the most difficult for me.

As of this week - I have lost 50...I am going VERY slowly ...this is working for me. I want to be healthy not just skinny. I don't want to lose the weight quickly and then fall back into bad habits...so I am living my life, enjoying family, friends and food and still losing weight. This works for me. I do need the weekly accountability of a ww mtg though. Its psychological. I need to see a number written in that book every week. It keeps me "honest".

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you
Old 09-08-2003, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Ok guys, not sure if i am doing all this right so here goes.... First of all, to the daly who gets nervous without sugar. it can be the withdrawals or it CAN be you have a sugar problem. you might want to talk to your doctor. I have been on weight watchers, atkins, overeaters anonomous, and have even gone so far as to have my stomach stapled....i definitely lost on that but 10 years later I was back as big as before and with many more problems than ever before....I am 53 years old and it is really simple.....you got to make your eating a lifestyle, not a DIET.....I learned this the hard way when my 18 year old daughter tipped the scales at 275......so here is what i learned...

back in the 70's when Atkins first came out, i tried it too...Too much meat all the time isn't good for you.....so learn to make your diet a life style.....I found a little paperback book at the checkout stand of the grocery store....here is what it was all about....
Old 09-08-2003, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

EVERY day keep a journal. Keep the grams of carbs to approximately 60 total a day....and guess what. the weight will fall off until you reach it and if you learn how to cook, you will learn to stay that way..

QUESTION for all of you,,,,,is your husband fat, are your children? if so then why are you feeding them the foods that have made you what you are? my husband can eat and eat and eat and never gain an ounce but now he eats the same things we do...

There are loads and loads of recipes out there that you can purchase....i am on this life style, I eat cakes, muffins, pies, cheesecake, I cook beautiful meals. eat sandwiches, (they even have out a good bread you can buy anyplace, including WALMART that is low carb and my family doesn't even know the defference, they think they are eating wheat bread!!! in fact daughter loves her grilled ham and cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches. You eat anything you want, just learn to cook it ...people say it is expensive, Nope it isn't, once you get your body off the sugars, you aren't as hungry. You really eat less, thus costs you less....

Now i have been searching and it has taken me awhile but i got all my recipes together, I thought i was going to print them off and into a book but the first book ended up almost 2 inches thick and sitll had more to go...am going to just get a program to put them all in so i can just use the computer and once i try a recipe and like it, i will print it off and save it...

there are sites out there with lots of other people who work together to help each other, you don't have to pay a company to help you get thin, then you stop going and the weight comes back...just learn to eat and learn to diet....
Old 09-08-2003, 02:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This time i was up to almost 375 when i started...Yep you heard right!!!! I am down to 300 now and I don't consider myself on a diet. I eat what I want, if i get a hungering for a chocolate bar, i eat one...(there are really even delicious low carb candy, Russell Stovers!!! and and daughter said tell you Hershey even has one now!!!) I go to my book and find a recipe that sounds good...

Go this this weeks Womans World magazine (sept 9, 2003...there is a young lady has altered the low carb diet to help herself, she lost 41 pounds and 5 dress sizes...

Atkins food tastes ukey to me....some of the specialty low carb food tastes like cardboard....Come on ladies, most of you are at home...make your own. learn to alter the recipes so everyone can enjoy what you cook and you can loose, you can also have your children on a lifestyle that won't make them overweight when they get older....

feel free to email me if you would like, i would be happy to help anyone at anytime and share my experiences and ideas with you...

diane tarvin
Old 09-08-2003, 03:15 PM
BoggsZ

Diane that is what i want to do is learn to eat right and loose weight at the same time thanks for your advice.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:31 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

For those of you who have a plan to follow and just want support and encouragement in a human form (besides online LOL), check out www.tops.org and see if there is a chapter near you. I am in the process of starting a new chapter because the closest ones to me don't fit my time schedule. You can find out all about them from their website but it is a very inexpensive way to get the support you need while following whatever plan works for you.

I decided that I love the WW plan but can't afford meetings and while I have lots of online support, I need physical - people I can see their eyeballs support. LOL!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

weightwatchers points

Hi Kilkathen i would also like your infor on the point system for wt. watchers you siad you could send as attachment the point s and the calculator
Old 09-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WW member again!

Okay I officially made the commitment to use of my weekly cash allowance to rejoin WW. I started last Monday and had my first weigh in last night. I LOST 3.4 POUNDS!!

I love WW and wish I could have had the money to not stop earlier this year. I didn't really gain anymore weight back from being off I just didn't lose as mcuh after I stopped going to meetings.

I TO NEED the meetings.

TX Chef Fran