Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Weight Loss > Diets & Programs

Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The 17 Day Diet

My daughter started the 17 day diet earlier this month. She's 16, and had about 40-50 pounds to loose.

After only 17 days on the cycle 1 phase, she has lost 15 pounds. Today she's starting cycle 2. The weight loss should slow down a bit, but she can expect to loose up to 10 pounds in the next 17 days. I have been doing the diet with her (sort of) and lost 10 pounds, but that's only 10% of what I want to loose.

Has anyone else tried this diet? It's featured on The Dr's TV Show, and it is very healthy and seems to be fairly easy to follow. Just telling yourself "only 7 more days, I can do this for 7 more days!" helps me. Because there are 3 cycles before you get to the maintenance diet, and each cycle adds more foods to the list of approved foods, there is something to look forward to.

My husband isn't thrilled with this diet, however because there isn't any sugary food in the house.

Is anyone else following this diet plan and how have your results been?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
The info that I saw about it says that you have to order your meals and have them delivered. Is this true or is there a meal plan to follow?

It looks like it's sort of low carb?

Congrats to you and your daughter for the weight loss!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No, not at all! That's the point of the diet.. It's meant to be a real way of eating.

Cycle 1 is a detox sort of diet. Unlimited amounts of chicken, turkey, fish, and egg whites. Up to 4 whole eggs/week; unlimited veggies from the approved list (basically no legumes, peas or corn) two servings of lower-sugar fruits, (peaches, apples red grapes, plums) and two probiotic servings of dairy. Basically live-active cultured yogurt, cottage cheese or Kefir.

You drink plenty of H2O, green tea, and use only stevia or splenda for added sweeteners in the yogurts, teas and smoothies.

She started the 2nd cycle started today where you add to the cycle 1 foods; lean pork and beef, (but in moderate portions), and all shellfish. You can add legumes and starchy veggies, and whole grains. (barley, brown rice, amaranth, oatmeal, grits, etc.) but not bread, cereal, seeds, nuts or dairy yet. In this cycle, you do one day of cycle 2 meals, and one day of cycle 1 meals. They call it metabolic confusion... It supposedly prevents you from plateauing.

Cycle 3 adds whole grain breads, pastas, all meats, fruits veggies nuts etc and red wine.

Cycle 4 is maintenance.

They say of after cycle 3 you need to loose more weight, go back to your choice of cycle 2 or cycle 1 and repeat... Some people report loosing a lot of weight. it's working wonders for Julia!

This is a link to the recipes on cycle 1. it gives you a lotof info on the diet...

Welcome to The Doctors TV Show
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for explaining it to me.

The first cycle is along the lines of something like the South Beach diet because you can eat low sugar fruit. The difference being that this diet allows dairy products where low carb doesn't.

The first goal of any diet like this is to rid the body of sugars and bad carbs. I wonder why they don't allow nuts in the early stages?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nuts aren't allowed till the 3rd cycle. I think because they're high in fats. Good fats- but still high in fat calories.

Tonight I'm making stuffed peppers in the crock pot. I've never done it before, and this recipe has no rice in it... just ground turkey and veggies, and I'll make my own sauce. I have never made stuffed peppers, because growing up I never liked the taste of cooked green peppers/ But I'll use red peppers and see how they taste. That's what I use when I make sausage and peppers or chicken caccitore.<sp?>
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dinner sounds good to me! I'm not sure what all you're allowed but I have this recipe for sloppy joe stuffed peppers on my blog. They are low carb so I'm not sure if it would work for you or not. I ate them a lot while I was low carbing.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus