Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Weight Loss > Diets & Programs

Old 03-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anyone doing the Weigh Down diet?

Hi all,
I just ordered this book yesterday. It seems to be about WHY we eat rather than WHAT we eat. That's what I need. I know what I should eat. I've lost 50 pounds twice, only to get pregnant and put it all, plus more, back on. I have an awful appetite that I need to change. I know my problem is getting into the proper mindset to not think about food all day and stop making it the most important thing in my day. When I did lose weight, it was easy since I was in the right mindset for it. It was even exciting to think about what more I could do to eat and live healthier but I've lost that mindset and need to get it back.
Does anyone know what I mean? Anyone else out there struggling in this way? I could sure use a friend in this. Thanks, Alice
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Alice, I know exactly what you mean. If I'm in the right mindset to lose weight I can eat what I'm supposed to and it's not a problem to turn down junk. I do my treadmill and/or walk outside, do my situps, lunges, squats, etc when I'm in the mood. Three years ago I did WW's and I lost around 40 pounds. I've kept off 20 of those, not bad, but I just can't get motivated to do it anymore.

I really need to get busy. I keep thinking about this summer and the neighborhood pool. Last year I only took my dd's to the pool twice because I didn't want to be seen in my bathing suit. I have to get in control of my eating habits. I feel so much better about myself when I'm treating myself right. I enjoy healthy foods and I love taking walks. I can't figure out why I don't take care of myself better. I enjoy eating, I enjoy junk food, but I enjoy feeling & looking good much more.

I think depression is part of my problem. I don't want to leave the house and I have a hard time getting myself to actually do anything physical. I know exercise & a healthy diet helps w/ depression so what am I waiting for?

I need to figure out how to get myself into the right mindset and more importantly how to keep myself in the right mindset. I know I can do it, I've done it before. It seems to help when I read a good diet book. It gets me motivated. I know Self magazine has the Self Challenge every year. I think it's already started this year. I need to check it out and actually make myself do it.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you! I'll have to look for the Weigh Down book at the library. I haven't heard about it. Does it give you a diet & exercise plan?

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 03-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Mindy, Thanks for responding. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this situation. It's hard sometimes to read of new diet foods and menu plans when that isn't what I need. I've even considered hypnotism, but I don't think I could do that. I just need to get my head on straight. When I lost 40 a couple years ago (I've gained 15 back), I had just been to my dr who put me on high blood pressure meds and said losing would help a LOT. I knew I needed to do it for my health and it was easy when I thought about it that way. But even tho I remind myself how unhealthy I am and that I want to live to see my grandchildren get married it doesn't 'do anything' for me. The food and my appetite seem to rule over me.
Your comment about depression hits home. I have spent many years in depression and know exactly what you mean. I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy. But that was several years ago. Our children are ages 35, 32, 28, and 16 and I spent most of their childhood years in depression. I would guess it was post partum depression. I know that the youngest was 18 months old when I could finally say 'I was fine' when someone asked and actually mean it!
I can't blame my problem on depression now tho. Atleast I don't think so! I feel pretty good, really. Just unable to say no to sweets and comfort foods. Mac and cheese and such.
I found the Weigh Down diet in a search online for anything that would help with my attitude. I don't really know what it is all about but will let you know when I've read the book. I'm not aware of the Self challenge. You'll have to fill me in.
Now tonight I'm making Spanish Rice and steamed veggies for dinner. I actually haven't done too badly today. Just need to keep it up.
Those little ones of yours must keep you busy. And they give you a great reason to take care of yourself!
Sorry this is so long but I was so happy to have someone that understood what I'm dealing with.
Thanks!
Alice
Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I don't really follow any set diet. In the past it was just cut down on breads, eat more fish, baked not fried and walk. Now that I'm 41 it's not so easy to do anymore and this winter my friend and I got in a bad habit of eating out a lot at lunch time.

This past Sunday I started my new lifestyle change. If I call it a diet, I will fail. I am 5 ft 6 and will admit that I weight 217. I carry it pretty well, not one area is grossly bigger than the other but I'm still a good 60 lbs overweight. My goal is actually to lose 40 lbs this year. I have a goal other than keep healthy, and that is I want to get into a size 13/14 dress for my cousin's daughter's wedding in October. I now wear a size 18.

How do I plan on doing this? I'm cutting back on white breads, limiting myself to one piece of bread a day, eating more veggies, chicken and fish and walking. My 14 yr old and I were walking last summer and fall. It was great, that's how we reconnect. I cherish that time with her as I know how hard it is to find out anything about a teenage girl's life. We started walking again last night and she's a great motivator. When I get lazy she says come on mom, move it.

Anyone else want to spill? I will post my weight every Monday and promise not to fib! What good would it do me? LOL!

Lisa
Old 03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Alice, do you care if we post on this thread if we aren't doing the Weigh Down Diet? I'm going to start something, I'm just not sure yet what it will be. If you want this to be strictly Weigh Down it won't upset me, we can open a new thread about losing weight so we don't distract you from sticking to the program you choose. Let me know.

For info on the Self Challenge go to http://www.self.com/.
They have info on healthy eating, exercise plans, success stories, recipes, etc. It has a food log & an exercise log so you can keep track of how much you're eating & how much exercise you're getting. Self is a health/exercise type magazine. I've subscribed to it off and on for a long time. I've never actually done the challenge, but I like to look at the info and it helps motivate me. I would like to do the challenge, I know it would make a huge difference.

I know I had postpartum depression after my 2nd, and looking back I had it after my 1st I just didn't realize it. I have a habit of hibernating. I can always tell when I'm depressed because I'll realize I haven't called my Mom for a few days and I haven't called any of my friends and I only leave the house when it's absolutely necessary. While I'm home I start munching on everything sweet that I can find. I stopped buying ice cream because if it's in the house I eat a huge bowl every night. I don't eat much "real" food, I just eat a bunch of junk. I'm trying to make myself eat real meals so that maybe I won't snack as much.

Lisa, great job walking w/ your dh. My neighbor and I try to walk together when the weather is nice & when our kids allow it. Our dh's both work late a few evenings a week & we both have young children. When we walk together it's like a therapy session. We think alike and we're able to talk about things that are going on w/ our family & our life and we know we're not going to be judged. She can't stand cold weather so we don't walk in the winter. I'm so ready to be outside, kid-free, walkin' & talkin'. When my Mom spends the night she walks w/ us. My Mom is my best friend. We used to walk together almost every day. It seems like I was in 7th grade when we started walking together.

I haven't weighed for a few days. I'm 5'5" and I've been hovering around 186. I'll try to remember to weigh in the morning and I'll let you know. I'm in a size 16 right now. I'd love to be a size 12 but I'd be happy if I could be a size 14 and stay there. I've been a size 12 several times but is seems like I just start gaining weight back almost immediately. Then I hit size 14, I promise myself I'm not going to get bigger, I'm going to get back to a 12, then the next thing I know I'm in a 16. Before I did WW 4 years ago I was in an 18 but needing to be in a 20. I gave away all of my clothes bigger than a 14, then I gained 20 pounds and had to buy a few more clothes. I hate it when that happens! I haven't gotten rid of my size 12 & 14's but I did pack them away and I told myself if I'm not back into them by next year that I'm getting rid of them. I'm hoping that will help motivate me because there are some really cute clothes in the tote that I don't want to give away.

Good luck everyone! Hopefully I can check in tomorrow. It seems like the day slips away from me and I've missed my FC time.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mindy, after I had the second child, Rachel, I slimmed down to a size 10, which for me is really, really thin. I had PPD after I had my 3rd child, Megan who is now 10. It was horrible and lasted about 3 months.

Okay Mindy, you and me girl! Anyone else up for the challenge?

Lisa
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

"do you care if we post on this thread if we aren't doing the Weigh Down Diet?"
Gosh,no, Mindy. I will lookforward to all the discussion on this thread.
OK this morning I weighed 212 before stepping into the shower. (3 years ago I was 238 so I'm at least grateful I don't weigh that now) I'm 55 and I'm 5'4". I'm wearing an 18 and some very roomy 16s!
I'm able to walk most days at school (I work with handicapped teens at a local high school) when we take our class to gym. But when the weather gets nicer (Ohio) my best friend and I will start walking outside again. We like to go to the Mall and window shop a lot. That helps. (Those cool mochas don't!)
Last night we went to Walmart so she could get new tires. It took 2.5 hours! Most of that was walking. We did eat at the instore Subway so got to sit a little!
We have a Gazelle here in our family room. DH uses it more than I do I think. Ill be real good about using it for a while then get off track again and it takes a while to get back in the habit. Anybody use the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs? I was doing real well with them for a long time then got away from doing them and can't get started again.
I'm trying to eat more chicken (don't like fish) and lots more steamed veggies. I love broccoli and cauliflower with carrots. Breakfast is usually oatmeal.
I'm seeing my dr on Thursday. Reg checkup cuz I have high blood pressure. I want to ask if there's something that I can take that will help cut my appetite. I'm afraid to take something OTC for fear it will not mix well with my bp meds. My appetite and attitude are my problem. I know what to eat and how much, but I allow all those little 'eat me, eat me's to over rule any good intentions.
OK Ladies, I'll commit to logging my weight on Mondays now.
Good luck and God bless! Alice
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Okay, that's three of us, Mindybean, Alice and me!

My biggest downfall is diet soda and bread. I love diet Pepsi and I do mean love it. I also would rather grab a sandwich and that will be fine for any meal. I work full time as a legal secretary, not on my butt ALL day but a lot. After that I leave work to come home and chauffer the kids to where they need to be, play rehearsals, piano practice, guitar lessons. By the evening I'm too pooped to do anything but maybe watch an hour of tv and I'm stumbling into bed.

So far I've done what I've already posted, cut down on breads starting 2 days ago, cutting way back on soda (Diet Pepsi), one can a day and replacing with water or tea. And beginning to walk but last night both dd and myself were exhausted!

This morning I stretched really good and for breakfast had a bowl of Total cereal, normally I would have a PBJ or ham and cheese sandwich. So far so good.

Hope you all have a great day.

Lisa
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Count me in! My dd and I were talking yesterday, one of our biggest challenges is we overeat the goodies before dh come in and gobbles them up. Depression is a major challenge for me right now. I didn't realize how depressed I was until I went to the doctor last week. We normaly eat well. I need to work out. I had three females surgeries in three years, I dont know if I will ever get back to the way I was. My weight now is 145, I need to lose down to 120.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie,

Welcome aboard! I understand depression, I went thru it recently when I broke up with the man I was engaged to. I've never felt so low and for a good 2 months. I'm back to being me again, thankfully. The sun and spring will help me immensely, WELCOME SPRING!!!

Lisa (showers today in So. IL)