Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Nine Year Member

I remember the old saying that it was healthier to be a pear shape than an apple shape. The bigger your waist is the more health risks you will have.

Which is where I carry my weight.

Roberta
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

About the waist inches thing. I am 5'9" and Dr. Oz was on Oprah again the other day. He said a better rule of thumb to follow was your waist should be half your height. I am 69 inches tall so my waist should be 34.5 or less. I am not sure if that is in the book, but you can get a couple more inches if you are taller...yippee!

Also, I like those helpful tips you have listed. they are really good ones! It is really important to stop eating before bed. Tea is also a great appetite suppressant and I think it has more antioxidants, although I do drinka lot of coffee, I tend to go back and forth between hot tea and coffee. Even Iced tea is good.

Hope everyone is doing great. Chris -- where are you? hehe.

Rachel
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I was glad when I read that they recommend coffee as an appetite suppressant and that it has some good for you antioxidants. I'm a coffee-aholic. I never used to drink it until I became a SAHM. Now it's my main drink.

I'm still working on using up all the stuff in my freezer so I'm not following the diet completely, but I am paying more attention to what I'm putting my my mouth. I really need to work on eating breakfast. I get up and feed my girls before they have to go to school, but I don't take the time to make something for myself. I'm usually trying to get a few other things done while they're eating.

My Mom said she saw the Drs. on another Oprah show and they said that you can suck in your stomach when you measure your waist. I'm going to re-measure and see how much of a difference that makes. I was really suprised to hear that it doesn't matter if you suck in your gut!

Happy eating!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have not completly followed the Diet either. I am still using the stuff I bought but when I shop I am shopping differently and changing the things I buy. I don't want to waste the Foods I still have. I am cooking a bit differently. When Rachel and I shop she is teaching me allot more things about the Incridients and such. She is so much more organized then I am.. Thank you for that!
Hopefully soon I will be completly into this Diet. Need to start going to the Gym again as well... That is a big downfall for me right now.
I need to stop making excuses..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

For me, when I jump, gung-ho into a new diet I usually don't last very long. When I take my time and work my way into it slowly I seem to do better.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mindybean, that was the same show I saw the half your height thing. Yeah, he actually WANTS you to suck it in. SO you can see how big your OMENTUM really is. Do you know what that is? You will have to read the book to figure that out, haha, I don't think I have the vocabulary! haha. I know what you mean about coffee. It is my main drink during the day too. I am not above going through two pots or more...depending on the day. But I am not sure that much is good for me..haha.

Chris, Yeah, i am working into it slow. I too don't see what I can gain -- except losing weight faster -- by throwing out all the food I have. But I have been mixing the good stuff with some of the old stuff. Like, I ran out of yucky pasta, so I am using the whole wheat now. But I still have the cream of chicken soup, but will replace that when the time comes. Know what I mean?

I hope all goes well with the next chapter I am going to read. I am going to start walking. I am deciding whether or not to keep my gym membership that is so expensive. But this book is telling me I do not need one. I seem to work harder at the gym, but Maybe if I can get on the ball at home, I could save moneytoo. We will see. Rachel
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Humble Got room for one more?

Good Evening Ya'll, I'm new to the FC forums and don't know all the " Lingo " but I do know dieting...I'm 55 years old and have been dieting probably 50 of them.. but by all rights I should be hanging from a charm bracelet! Quite honestly I am almost to the point of giving up and learning to live fat, however, I may have one more shot in me and this diet sounds pretty good. What is the name of the book? Have any of you ever tried Curves? I know I need to exercise but am really bad about actually doing it, I thought maybe if I committed to the money the guilt alone would motivate me. What do ya'll think? Oh yeah, it doesn't help that it's snowing like crazy here in beautiful northeast Ohio and the urge to bake is almost overwhelming... not to mention my grandson is really nagging for those wicked sugar cookies Shelley
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Welcome Shelley!

You'll pick up the lingo just fine. It's good to have new members!

The name of the book is YOU: On A Diet by Dr. Oz Mehmet and Dr. Mike Roizin. They have 2 or 3 others out as well that are really good. I've been reading YOU: The Owner's Manual until I can get the new book. I was able to check it out of the library but they don't have the diet book yet. You can also get a great bit of info from www.realage.com about what is in the book.

I'm a Curves member - have been for 3 years although I had dropped out for 18 months. I just started back this week. I was told that they will have a price increase the beginning of the year. Right now they have Join in December and you get a month free or something like that. I encourage you to check it out. Sometimes they have coupons for a free week and I know you can go in the very first time and work out for free.

Well, this week we've had some money stressors around here and I've not done well at all with the diet or the exercise. I hope to have the bad foods gone from my home by the first of the year and that will help tremendously.

Have a great weekend! We have a busy one so I probably won't make it back here until at least Monday.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Shelley,

The book is called You On a Diet. It is really not about a diet at all, but eating foods that make your body work and burn better. Foods that keep you satisfied, instead of foods that trick you into thinking you are hungry. And this book looks more at your waist line than anything else. If you have a certain size waist, your considered to be in a healthier category, because you are not storing fat in the danger zone. As a woman, your waist should be half the size of your height. If you go to any book site, type in You On a Diet, it will come up. You can also go to oprah.com and check it out there. Dr. Oz has his own section!!! Let me know ifyou have any more questions. Oh, and about the sugar cookeis, it's okay to have one every once in a while, but not the whole batch every day...haha...I really am trying to stop that -- hehe..

Have a great day. Thanks for joining our conversation! Rachel
Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh! Shelley!, I forgot to say, this book also says that you only need to start out with walking, 30 minutes or as much as you can stand until you build up. Also, it stresses strength training, the kind you can do in your living room. So, unless you are like me, and need a gym to kick your rear in gear, there is no need to spend the money. Take care, Rachel