Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I have mine. I am going to start reading after I get my house cleaned up today. When are you going to start? R
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I watched both the Oprah and Discovery Health shows and kept checking the DH website which is the one they mentioned over and over. It was so disappointing over there. Then by chance, I found what I was looking for about this plan - on www.realage.com!! They have lots of information and message boards, etc. all about following this plan and some of the people are reporting GREAT results and others not so great yet. It will depend on how much you need to lose and how well you work the plan I think - just like any other plan.

I've only followed it half way the last 2 weeks - working on getting the bad stuff out of the house, knowing Thanksgiving was THIS week, etc. and I've only walked 20 minutes maybe 3 days each week. Yet I lost 1.25 pounds each week. I was impressed. I plan to jump in with both feet this next week and I hope to find the book soon. Lots of places have been sold out.

Hope you all are having a wonderfully Day!!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Rachel ordered the Book on a Bookclub she joined thru MyPoints. She ordered mine as well. It is very interesting. You might want to try it thru Literature Guild or something like that.. It was under $15.00
I have so far cleared out some things in the House. I do watch more of what I eat and such. When I snack now I snack on Nuts instead of Candy.. Still a bad downfall of mine.
Good Luck to all... and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Old 11-23-2006, 05:22 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for the idea of ordering through a book club. I know I'm still a member of one somewhere. LOL! I was trying to wait for our library to get it but I may have to buy it and donate it myself for that to happen. I tried to put one on hold in our system but they won't let you until it's been in the system 6 months.

I've done the same as you mentioned - switched to a handful of nuts as my snacks and I think that has helped a lot. Today I had my traditional Thanksgiving dinner and I did over do a bit but then when it was time for supper I only had 1/2 a turkey sandwhich. Normally it would have been a lot more.

Well, hope you had a blessed day!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Martie! Sorry I have been gone for so long. I have been on holiday with family. No, we did not go anywhere but down the street, but we were gone all day for a few days.
I am so glad you could join us. I am going to start reading the book tomorrow and posting little tidbits of information I think might be useful to us. When you get the book, let me know what you think. Can't wait to get the chocolate out of the cupboard and the good grains in there instead. Boy, it is going to be hard during Christmas. I am going to bake for the doggies, and decorate little gourmet doggie cookies with the kids instead of sugar cookies. I hope that helps! hehe. Welcome welcome , Rachel
Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello all! I hope everyone is doing a good job on this diet. I am just now starting to read the book. I got caught up in day to day life and had to put it on the back burner, but I am charged up again and ready to get started. This is NOT a book that is going to make you feel guilty for indulging in some holiday cheer, but rather a book that says, okay, you ate pumpkin pie yesterday, lets eat a little healthier today.

I have read the first chapter and what I have taken away from it ( since it is an overview ) is that this book is going to teach you how to eat so the chemicals and hormones in your body react differently than they have been in the past. For example, did you know that fiber keeps you fuller longer, and that sugar actually makes you THINK you are hungry when you are not? I did not know that.

Did you know that most of our prepackaged foods are full of sugar and that may be why we are led to snack, even though we just ate. You are NOT hungry, BUT sugar tricks your mind into thinking you are. How wierd.

But, there is great news!!! DID YOU KNOW, that just like sugar tricks your brain into thinking you are hungry, there are foods that make your brain think you are full?

There are a list of these types of foods, mostly ( I think - I have not gotten to that section yet ) whole grains, peanuts, and fiber rich foods. I am going to give more information as I go through the book. There are little tests you go through to figure things out about yourself, how you eat, things like that.

I am really enjoying the book though. And if there is anyone out there who is reading the book too, feel free to post things you think, experience or -- if you see something I have posted that is incorrect - -PLEASE, correct me!! I will not be offended. I need to do this right, and sometimes I am in too much of a hurry or too excited about something to get my thoughts out in a clear, precise manner...hehe. No Proofreading for me... I am impatient.

Hope this helps and hope you can join on us on our quest!

Rachel
Old 12-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Nine Year Member

I know they are now saying that diet pop is treated the same way in your body making you think you are hungry, etc.

My big temptation is pop I normally limit myself to 1 can a day but that keeps me dependent on the sugar.

Forced myself to drink 4 cups of water yesterday and I'm on my 2nd cup now for today.

Roberta
Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know that I became more aware of how much sugar and especially HFCS was in EVERYTHING when I had a friend whose daughter was diagnosed allergic to corn. She can have NOTHING with HFCS and was always asking me if I could believe that such and such had it and WHY would they put it in something like Lipton Onion Soup Mix. LOL! It did make me much more aware though.

I haven't been able to get the book or get my hands on a copy yet. I'm hoping sometime this week or next it will work out for me to read it. I've been reading YOU: The Owner's Manual though and it's got a lot of great information.

I will tell you that it took me quite a while to make the switch to drinking more water and I started with some of the flavored waters but, in the end, I prefer plain water and I even find myself craving it. I've learned that so many times when I "thought" I was hungry I was actually thirsty and becoming dehydrated. Now I try to grab a cup of water to drink first and see if that satisfies before I eat something.

Yesterday for lunch I had the mixed greens salad with walnuts and some feta cheese and made the balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. It was REALLY good. I just didn't have the dried cranberries to put in the salad. It would have added a sweet element and made it even better I'm sure.

If any of you haven't done so yet, check out www.realage.com and you can print out the menus, recipes and grocery lists from there. It's an awesome website for helping you follow the plan.

Well, I need to run but I hope you all have a wonderful and successful day and week!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for that information Martie! I went to that site and found a lot of interesting things. I am still reading. Working on the next chapter now. Still trying to cut out the sugars, but getting closer to having my kitchen cabinets transformed from unhealthy stock to healthy stock. Yea!

Roberta, that is so funny you mention that about diet soda. I usually use them as an appetite depressant, but to do that you have to drink and drink and drink... and that cannot be good for you. I am going to cut them out as much as possible. Thanks for reminding me!

Hope everyone is doing their best on this diet.

Rachel
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Have any of you done the Real Age test at www.realage.com? For me it was scary! I was 8.3 years older than my actual age. I'm overweight, I smoke, I don't eat enough fruits/veggies, not enough exercise, the list goes on and on!!!

I didn't buy the book (You on a Diet) in early Nov. w/ my 15% off coupon from Barnes & Noble, but then I got a 40% off coupon from there later so I bought the book with that! What a deal! I read the book and really liked what it said. I haven't faithfully started following the program yet, but I have made a few small changes. Every little bit helps! I didn't throw away all the food in my pantry w/ "bad" ingredients, I just can't bring myself to throw away food that I paid good money for.

A few other tidbits that I got out of the book and I can't remember if they've been posted or not...

-Stop eating 3 hrs before bedtime (this is a hard one for me!)
-walk 30 minutes every day - no exceptions!
-20 minutes of strength training at least twice a week
-coffee is a good appetite suppresant and has antioxidants
-eat 3 meals (don't measure, just eat until your satisfied) and 2 snacks each day
-for at least one meal every day eat the same thing - have the same breakfast every morning or the same lunch every day - or better yet, the same breakfast (oatmeal) & lunch (healthy salad) every day and just have something different for dinner each night. The more choices you have the more you over-indulge. The fewer choices, the less you think about food.

If I think of any other helpful tips from the book I'll post them.

Oh, have you all measured your waist? They say the number on the scale doesn't matter, it's the number on the tape measure. Women should be 32.5" or less and men should be 35" or less. I'm WAY above 32.5", I don't know if my waist has ever been that small! I carry most of my weight in my waist and that's were it can cause the most problems - diabetes, heart problems, etc. and I have grandparents with those issues so they're in my genes.

I'm hoping to do a little better every day. I want to be healthier, feel better, live longer, and set a good example for my girls.

Good luck everyone!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie