Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Low Carb Dieting

I was wondering if anyone was doing the Low Carb Dieting or Sugar Busters? I have been doing the carb addicts diet now for a few months and I have lost about 20 lbs. I read the thread on Suzanne Somers way of eating and it seems to have some similiarities. What about The Zone? Has anyone ever tried it?
Old 02-02-2002, 04:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! My husband was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetis and I now have to cook so he eats only 4 servings (15grams each serving) per meal. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks.
Learngirl
Old 02-03-2002, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle Sugar Busters' Diet

So happy to hear someone else is doing the Sugarbusting. I am borderline diabetic, and the Sugarbuster diet matches up closely with what I should be eating. It's healthy and cheap. Everyone used to be Sugarbusting down here in Louisiana, but even though they had success with the diet, they've moved on to something else. I think Sugarbusters is more a lifetime commitment, rather than a diet. You don't have to measure or count or weigh. It's easy to follow. I am also a vegetarian, and find that "busting" is low fat, low sugar and lots of nutritious food. Why isn't it still popular? It's just a healthy lifestyle. I know I've lost a whole dress size in a month - I don't weigh myself as I find it is better for me not to concentrate on the weight but rather on changing my eating life style. If I eat right and exercise I feel like I am doing the best I can do and I don't want to get discouraged if the weight isn't falling off. My sugar levels have averaged 102 since starting to follow this diet and that is great!
Old 02-04-2002, 07:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question What is sugarbusters?

I have never heard of sugarbusters can you tell me about it?Thanks
learngirl
Old 02-14-2002, 08:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone! I am new here....this is my first post!! I hope you all don't mind me jumping in here. I just found this place quite by accident, but when I saw the topic of low carbing I wanted to speak up. I started low carbing on Jan. 3, 2001 at the weight of 266 lbs. This past Christmas....not quite one year low carbing, I was down to 175 lbs. I went from size 24/26 to a size 12. I've been following the Atikin's Diet...although not as strictly as I should. My Grandmother passed away on Jan. 16th and I have had a hard time sticking to the plan, but I am getting back on track. Right now I weigh 183...gained back a bit with stress eating.
I know this way of life may not be right for everyone, but for me it's honestly been a life saver!!! With diabetes and heart disease in my family, I HAD to do something!!

Thanks for letting me jump in!

Lori
Old 02-14-2002, 08:52 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome Lori! I looked at the Atkins diet once and I don't think I could stick to it, but congratulations to you!! That's just fantastic!
Old 02-14-2002, 09:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Everyone

Im going to jump in on this too. I just started low carbing this week. Im not following any one specific diet plan ( although Im going to look into Sugar Busters now). I bought the Atkins diet book and Im pretty much just going by what I can and cant eat. This is really tough !!! Im addicted to carbs more than you can imagine. Im doing it not only to lose weight but because I have been diagnosed with PCOS.

I wish everyone good Luck with this !!

I blew it today because I cooked my DH a good old fashioned meal for V-Day but I will pick right back up tomorrow.

With this, Ive added some exercising as well.....Im walking a mile everyday on the treadmill ( taking it slow since this is the first week ) and Im doing crunches & arm& leg exercises.

If I find any good recipes or tips along the way, Ill post them for ya ......please do them same, I love trying out new stuff !!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Learngirl: Sugar Buster's is an easy diet to follow: basically eat like a caveman: no white flour or sugar foods. Eat whole wheat sugar free bread, no carrots, raisins, prunes, white potatoes, white pasta, and no bananas. All the fruits and vegetables you want - no measuring - although you obviously will lose more if you don't stuff yourself. I eat a lot of cheese and beans as I am a vegetarian, but meat eaters can continue with their meat choices. There are several "buster" books. Most are about $10.00, but you can also pick up at the library. It is the easiest diet I have ever tried. Much healthier than Atkin's diet (in my opinion). I think it is basically a diabetic diet ( or close to it). Very healthy. Let me know if it works for you.
Old 03-16-2002, 02:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi all I could probably win the title of Diet Queen and let me tell you DIETS DONT WORK as someone already said it has to be a lifestyle change. I have found when i follow a food plan similar to what sugarbusters seems to be I do the best. It is basically a diabetics diet. I am diabetic and should be following the American Diabetic food plan. Especially since I am limited to exercise. Just my two cents and lots of encouragement for those who are trying. Hey, maybe reading your posts will help me get motivated. Toughest for me is giving up my pasta.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sugarbusters Diet

To Lynnec: I too follow a version of the Sugarbusters' Diet and the diabetic diet. When I do, my sugars are totally in control (readings of 80-95), I feel good, and my weight is good. When I eat white flour or sugar products, I can definitely feel a difference. I start to crave sweets and bread. I am glucose intolerant and a vegetarian and I am trying really hard to postpone getting to the diabetic stage. A bad sugar was a wake up call for me in November and I have been pretty good about following the right diet ever since. I am exercising daily too for a minimum of 30 minutes (well, sometimes 20 minutes if I have to ride the stationary bike, which is so boring). It is a life long commitment. Let me know how you are doing. Good luck!