Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem

I've come to the conclusion that I can not lose this weight on my own. I'm considering Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem and I'm wondering if anyone can chime in as to the difference between them as far as price, taste, and effectiveness. Thanks in advance for any info!

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:15 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsZoo
I've come to the conclusion that I can not lose this weight on my own. I'm considering Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem and I'm wondering if anyone can chime in as to the difference between them as far as price, taste, and effectiveness. Thanks in advance for any info!
I haven't tried Nutrisystem so I can't help there, but I did buy the membership to Jenny Craig.

Jenny Craig is good, it does work if you follow the menu and exercise. However, it's expensive and that's why I quit the program. I was spending between $70 and $90 each week on food for just myself. Then I also had to buy things like produce, dairy, etc. The price of the food goes down as the weeks progress. For example, the first 5 weeks (don't quote me on that, I beleive it's five) you pay full price. Then for the next several weeks you get 10% off, then 20%, then 30%.

I got really bored with the food too. They have quite a few selections, but we all know that not everyone likes everything, therefore your choices become limited.

Now part of their plan is that after you get halfway to your goal, they teach you how to manage your own foods so you don't have to buy as much of theirs. I didn't get that far, I felt it was too expensive. They offer the discounts as incentives but it just wasn't worth it to me.

I am still a member and can still go in and buy food if I want to. And I have thought about doing that for my lunches and breakfasts, still contemplating!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I believe purchasing prepared food at the store will accomplish the same goal. Calculate the caloric intake you need to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Mine was 1500 calories.

I buy smart ones for breakfast and evening dessert- Price 2 egg muffins for $2.50 (not on sale) two desserts $2.50. Daily total $2.50 (Breakfast and dessert) Calories 210+140 = 350

Lunch - Lean Cuisine or Healthy choice depending what is on sale that week.. .cost between $2.50-$3.00 Healthy choice comes with a cobbler (yummy) ..Calories 270-330.

Dinner - Subway Footlong Chicken Breast all the veggies no oils or dressings on wheat $5.00 divided two meals (remove veggies from 1 half so bread is not soggy and refrigerate. toast chicken-bread in oven for second meal add back veggies) = $2.50 baked chips $1.00 (or buy the large bags at grocery and break down to individual servings- much cheaper) Calories 330 + 140 = Dinner 470

Another option for dinner is a Rotisserie chicken weighed out to 3 oz. (34 cal per oz) remove all fat I'll have a whole bag of steam fresh vegetables about 210 calories.

I make soup with the leftovers and hardly count the calories because I add alot of veggies and know there is no way I am eating more that 500 calories before I am full.

Dh is allergic to fish, but if you fit baked fish into your diet. The calories are lower than chicken. He can have shrimp (I know strange, huh?) so I sometimes have them as appetizers. 5 calories each. yummmy

Breakfast - 210 Morning Snack(yogurt) -90 cal $.50
(My favorites are the muffins - lean pockets work also/ and DH likes the quesadillas)
Lunch - 300 Afternoon Snack (rice cakes or fruit) - 90 -110 cal $.50
Dinner - 470
Dessert - 140 (I just love the peanut butter cup smart one)
Late Night munching - Popcorn with 1 tablespoon butter 140 + 50 cal $.25
Total Calories 1510
Cost about $10.00 per day less with coupons

My first 2 weeks I thought I was suppose to eat 1200 calories so I didn't have any snacks, I was losing 5 lbs a week, but now I am averaging 2 lbs a week a healthy weight loss). Total loss to date is 35 since 4-5-10. Dh has had the same loss of course I give him a few more munchies (100 calorie packs work for him, but can be expensive if not on sale with coupons).

Some days I only eat 1200 through out the day, but make up for it with extra popcorn. LOL

Also, I splurge one day a week and eat whatever my body is craving.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have been going to Weight Watcher for 2 years now. I get back $200 a year from my health insurance. I have lost over 20 lbs so far. It is going slow but I am keeping it off.

Charlotte
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My mom tried the Jenny Craig for about a month and was not a big fan of the food. It was really expensive too for the food not being great. She has lost a lot of weight by cooking all her meals at home and not going out. My mom and I started taking morning yoga classes and the instructor told us to drink a glass of water every morning as soon as you wake up and do some yoga stretches. This has made me and my mom feel a lot more healthy and my mother swears this has helped her lose weight. Anyway, I have not heard good things about Jenny Craig and you would probably have more luck (and save some money ) just cooking smaller meals and making your own commitment to weight loss.