Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Weight Loss > Diets & Programs

Old 05-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Atkins Diet - Is it Possible?

There is a web site promoting Atkins diet, which is
a low carbohydrate diet. Natural Weightloss, etc.
My question is about the combination they say to
avoid - which is protein and starch/carbo combinations.

Is this for real? Anyone out there know if
this is effective for weightloss?

I personally think for a while
it would work, but our north american diet is
protein with pasta, protein with bread, protein with a
milkshake, protein with potatoes, protein with rice...

Is this type of diet even feasible with 3 meals per day
schedule that most of us have kept for eons...

Even I tell my kids: salad, meat, some potatoes, some vegetables,
dessert after is okay if you've eaten the rest first.

Is the sphagetti combination of protein and pasta bad for us?

The site even says that cooked tomatoes are acidic and therefore
hard on our digestion....
comments?
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

atkins

thanks dawn
I'll check it.

:p
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 05-16-2002, 04:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Eliminating carbohydrates

My dh found out last year he is a Type II diabetic, and before being put on medications for control, he begged the doctor to let him see if he could control it by diet. And he has, and beautifully!

He can't be bothered with doing all the charting and exchanges so he simply omits carbs and sugars (i.e. sweets) in any and all fashion. He was a meat and potatoes man, and loved breads!

This was very difficult for him to do, but as he says, "When faced with the alternatives, it wasn't that hard after all."

His triglycerides are now down in the normal range (from a reading that even scared the doctor!), his cholesterol readings are down, and he monitors his blood sugar level at least twice a day.

I was concerned that he was eliminating the fruits especially but after talking to the dietician at the hospital some months after he was diagnosed, she told me that as long as he is eating as many vegetables as possible and taking a very good vitamin each day, he would be fine. And he has been.

As far as the weight loss, he has lost almost 50 pounds in this past year, most of it almost immediately after eliminating the carbs and sugar.

Please understand that you are going to get some carbs and sugars in your diet by accident ~ just as you get some salt with even low sodium products. What you are doing is trying to severely limit the amount you get.

Very occasionally, he will now have a bite or two of hash browns with his eggs.

There is a Adtkins store in a city we live near and has a wide range of Adtkins products. My dh especially loves the breakfast bars, and the carbs are so low that he can truly enjoy them. Only problem is that they are expensive!!

Eliminating the carbs and sugars from his diet has made him feel better, look better and given him the power to be in charge of his diet. And this is something he will be doing for the rest of his life.

Sandie
Old 05-16-2002, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Clutterbug,

I think the thing that I've realized about diets is that there are tons of them out there and not a single one of them will suit every potential dieter. The key is to find the one that satisfies you and is something that you can consider doing long term.

My husband and I have tried many diets with the goal of losing 25-30 lbs each, but with no success. In February of this year we decided to give the Atkins diet a try. We started out with a positive attitude and was encouraged by the immediate results that we saw. It has now been over 3 months and we are still following the diet. My weight loss is a little slower than his, but it is the first time that I am not giving up and am determined to reach my goal.

My husband started at 231 lbs and is now at 204 lbs and I started at 153 and I am now at 139. I hear a lot about the diet not being good because it is high in fat and protein, but we are eating much healthier than we did before. Our meals always consisted of some sort of meat but usually along with it potatoes or rice. Now instead, we eat the meat (grilled chicken, steak, fish, etc.) and also eat a healthy vegetable along with it (spinach, cauliflower, squash, etc.) That is how we obtain the carbs that we do get, not by breads or sugary foods.

My husband just recently visited his doctor to get a routine check-up. He is only 35 years old and has taken medication for high blood pressure for several years. The doctor took his blood pressure and it was perfectly normal!! The doctor is in the process of weaning him off of one of his prescriptions and was very pleased with the success he has made. He just got bloodwork done as well, so we will get the results when he visits the doctor in a couple of weeks. This diet is the one that we have been searching for and has made tremendous changes in our lives.

So, after rambling on and on, I think the key is finding something that works for you individually. It took us many times to find the right one for us, but I think we finally did it!! Good luck to you!!
Old 05-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Plunging into the low carb diet for a while

Thanks for input so far on the low carb diet question.
I'm going to try the meat/vegetable thing for sure.
I'm going to try to limit my carbo intake per meal/snack
to 20g. wish me luck
We always eat rice, pasta or potatoes with our dinner.
I'll keep feeding this to the kids, but stop heaping
my plate full of potatoes.
I'm going to fill a 1 litre bottle with water and try
to drink it all in a day - I think I've been dehydrated
for 15 years.
I'm going to try an egg at breakfast with oatmeal, instead of
dry cereal. I noticed harvest crunch original has 20g of carbo, so
I might permit myself that to begin with.
Another key I think is "unprocessed" meat. So fish sticks, wieners,
sausage are out...!
I think I'm allergic to multivitamins - I always get sick when I take them. Am I alone in this conundrum?

(this will be me in about 4 days) ha ha
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 05-18-2002, 07:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Atkins diet and others

I have to say that I am concerned about any diet that is so high in protein. It is very hard on the kidneys to process so much protein. I don't think there is anything natural about this diet. If you look at all the various cultures around the world, the Atkins diet isn't like any normal diet. I think most of the problems, weight and health-wise, in this country are due to the high amount of processed foods we eat - meat and refined sugars especially. I would suggest you try to get hold of a book called "Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Dr. Andrew Weil. It is the most balanced approach I have ever seen, and feel that it makes the most sense. He also has a website that has lots of information on it, and you can sign up for a weekly online newsletter.
As for the vitamin thing, if you are not tolerating multi-vitamins, I highly recommend Juice Plus. They are whole food supplements - dehydrated, ground up foods in a capsule. Because it is real food, your body recognizes it and can use it more efficiently, and you also get the many unidentified micro-nutrients that are in the real food. I have felt so much better since starting on it 3 years ago. It is available through distributors, but I think they also have a website. I hope this helps you!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have been a low-carber for over 4 years, my husband for nearly 3. I lost 43 lb, lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides. Hubby lost 100 lb the first year, 50 lb the second year, and lowered his blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and as a result, the insurance company lowered his life insurance premium by 30%.
He has been obese all his life until now.

My before/after pix:
http://www.web-magik.com/lowcarb/rani.html
Hubby's before/after pix and interview:
http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/steveflorida.html

It takes a certain mental adjustment, because we are used to eating a protein entreé, a vegetable, and a starch on our plate. I have learned to make substitutes that fit within the parameters of the regime. For instance, if you miss potatoes, make faux mashed potatoes out of steamed cauliflower. I missed cornbread and developed a fabulous recipe that looks and tastes just like it... made from almond flour. Miss rice? Chopped steamed cauliflower. Miss pasta? Try spaghetti squash or finely grated steamed cabbage. Miss lasagna? Make it with horizontally-sliced zucchini or eggplant or soybean-thread oriental noodles (made from the skin that forms on top of tofu), all the other ingredients are fine on Atkins.
In response to the poster saying, "I have to say that I am concerned about any diet that is so high in protein. It is very hard on the kidneys to process so much protein." I spoke to my urologist about this very issue, because I have MS and I have to really watch kidney and bladder functions. He told me that his wife lost all her "babyfat" on Atkins, that it is a TERRIFIC diet, but that it is even more crucial for a low-carber to drink the required water, in order to flush out the ketones. He also said that the kidneys were made to process protein, that's their job, and don't worry about it.

In response to the poster who asked, "There is a web site promoting Atkins diet, which is a low carbohydrate diet. Natural Weightloss, etc. My question is about the combination they say to
avoid - which is protein and starch/carbo combinations. "
There is an error here, either in the website or the poster's interpretation of it. Atkins does not advocate avoiding those food combinations, he advocates avoidance of the starches and sugars period. The food combining is an aspect of Suzanne Somers' program "Somercizing" as well as a diet going back to the 70s called Fit for Life, and there are prior and later versions of it, as well.

Another common misconception is that Atkins advocates NO carbs which is very far from the truth. What he says is to get your carb intake from vegetables, eggs, nuts, seeds, cheese and other low-carb dairy, and the low-glycemic-fruits such as berries.

In response to the poster who said, " I don't think there is anything natural about this diet. If you look at all the various cultures around the world, the Atkins diet isn't like any normal diet." Maybe not nowadays, but this is the way our ancestors ate in pre-agricultural times. The mainstay of the diet was proteins and veggies and animal fats, nuts and seeds, minimal fruits only in season, and very few grains. No dairy either. You might want to read the book "Neanderthin" by Ray Audette. Or check out www. paleodiet.

Rani

Last edited by kasparcat; 05-18-2002 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I low carbed for 1 1/2 years. In the first 7 months I lost 70 lbs and never felt better. I have maintained now for over a year. I have PCOS and wasn't able to conceive again after my son was born in Dec. 1995. Since losing the weight and getting my insulin levels down to normal, I am now pregnant! This "diet" (I hate that word) has given me back my life and I can't say enough about it. It does get tiring if you let it. You have to be creative. You may even need to take a break from it at times, but after trying diet after diet from the time I was 8 years old, I finally found what worked. Although I cannot "low carb" while pregnant, I CAN make better choices with the knowledge I have. Also, you should exercise. That also makes a big difference.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

Lo Carb Diet

I really appreciate all the comments people are giving
regarding the lo-carb approach. As I have never dieted
before, I am very leery of any approach that is not
rooted somewhat in common sense.

I am trying to reduce my overall calorie intake by
500-1000 per day, and am trying to get more exercise
every day (about 30 minutes has been recommended).
If I do this (eat about 2500 cal per day and exercise
30 minutes a day, I should lose about 1 pound a week.)

So far, I am not doing well on the lo-carb idea because
we do not have regular access to nice variety of vegetables such as are
mentioned in some of the posts. However, I am not giving
up hope yet. I visited a friend three days ago and ate a 1/2
cinnamon bun and a banana muffin at about 2:00 p.m. I tied
my hands up to prevent eating more until supper. I succeeded.

I am also trying not eating any snacks after supper (such as
a handful of cookies.) I bought some bags of mini carrots
and those are helping me get started.

The help here has been encouraging so far. Keep up the
ideas for a while if you can, so I can the gist of the
lo-carb thing.
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 05-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Hawaiian Momma

Atkins Diet

My husband was on this diet for over a year and a half. He dropped 125lbs. which was wonderful for his ego.
He had alot of extra energy at first but he also experienced a 2 week stay in the hospital within the first 3 months of the diet.
My husband was impacted which was extremely painful.
However with the help of psilium husk pills from the health store and multi vitamins he was able to remain on the diet.

To keep a household running on this diet was difficult.
It involves creating special meals for him.
We found ways to work around it, but it took some definite will power for him not to want the same meals myself and our daughter was having.

When I became pregnant with our second child I had to start cooking different for myself and he decided to drop the diet.
He is now 80lbs. heavier than he was prior to beginning the diet.

After numerous blood tests and physicals, the doctor explainned that the Atkins diet trainned his body not to burn fats naturally and that instead of burning the fat it was just burning carbs.
He is now on a dietary pill called Xenical that attacks the fat directly for him

I would seek medical advise and possibly sit down with a nutritionist.