Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

check out this link...

Was Atkins Right After All?

http://www.cbsnews.com/track/sumhtml...tml?cmp=EM8707
Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI im still losing on Dr. Atkins.. ive lost 32 # since the first of the year... i feel good and i know ive lost inches too.. which is good.. ive started to do some weight lifting exercises to lose the jello on my upper arms gonna borrow my daughter inlaws treadmill and use that too til the weather gets better.. hope everyone else that is on this diet is feeling as good as i am..

cant wait for spring to get here so i can be outside more.. ready to plant my container garden again.. ive started my tomatoes already . they are about 4 ins tall..

have a great day
Old 02-18-2003, 03:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My dad has been on this...

It has worked for him. He has lost almost 20 lbs. so far. I don't think it would be the diet for me (if I needed to be on a diet, which I don't) because I couldn't stand eating meat all the time. Oh well. Good luck.

Stacy
Old 06-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The Atkins Plan

Hi ladies!

I know many of you have been discussing some low-carb diets, but is anyone follwing the Atkins Plan? I started on the Induction phase this week, and in four days have lost four pounds.

I'm not missing the sweets or the carbs.. but it's so hard thinking differently about what and how to eat.

I know there are support sites out there on the net. But I love the ladies on the Family Corner site, and I was hoping to find some of you who are doing Atkins, and could offer some recipies, advice, and support to someone just starting out!

Val
Old 06-07-2003, 10:41 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val,

My doctor put me on a high protein, high fiber, low carb diet. After telling my m-i-l she said that's the Atkins diet. So I'm anxious to have some recipes too.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Atkins IS low-carb, although not the only LC plan by any means.

There are many LC recipe sites online and if you write to me privately at [email protected], I will happily give you links too numerous to include here.

Additionally, I host a low-carb cooking chat on AOL and if you are on AOL and want more information on it, feel free to write to me at [email protected] (if you are not on AOL, you won't be able to access the chat, sorry :-(

The basic menu approach is to pick a protein and pick a LC veggie to go with it. Proteins can be all kinds of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, seafood, most shellfish, eggs. Veggies can be broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, green beans, yellow (summer) squash, lettuce, mushrooms, eggplant, greens of all kinds (kale, collard, etc), celery, bok choy, peppers, spinach, cucumbers, brussels sprouts, radishes, and more. There are all kinds of ways to make them, since you can use butter, cheese, mayonnaise, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, etc. in order to flavor them up.

Cauliflower is a secret weapon for low-carbers to avoid boredom! Steamed and mashed, it makes a reasonable substitute for mashed potatoes. Grated and lightly steamed, it makes a reasonable substitute for rice. Dice it up and make your favorite potato salad recipe. If it calls for sweet relish, look for Mt Olive brand relish in your supermarket, which is sweetened with Splenda instead of sugar. Or use dill relish and a packet of artificial sweetener.

Another substitute for potatoes is to boil radishes for 25 minutes, the "bite" gets boiled out and what you get looks and tastes rather like boiled red new potatoes.

Cole slaw is a cinch to make, from bagged grated cabbage, mayo, a dash of vinegar, some artificial sweetener, and either some cream or sour cream.

There is no reason to ever get bored with this way of eating. All it takes is a little creativity, a little time, and a twist on how you approach your cooking.
I wrote an article on this subject that is on the web:
http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/outsidebox.html

Hope that helps!

Rani
Old 06-07-2003, 12:53 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Rani I am impressed. You know your stuff. I've been on Atkins for about a month. Have lost 8lbs. My clothes fit great and my blood pressure is back down.

The hard thing for me was on the go things. I have used walnuts, almonds, string cheese so far. I have tried cauliflower with sour cream and cheddar cheese. Yummy. Sugar free jello and whipped cream if my friend. Also on another site someone mentioned whipped cream with sugar free chocolate syrup mixed together almost tastes like soft ice cream (my weakness in the summer)

So far I love eating like this. Just is hard to break a life time habit of having potatoes,rice or bread with meals. But so far so good.

Take care ladies, Teresa
Old 06-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Teresa wrote:
>>Just is hard to break a life time habit of having potatoes, rice or bread with meals. But so far so good.

Try this.. you will love it! (good sources for almond flour: (www.nuttyguys.com or www.nuts4u.com)

Rani's UnCornbread
Preheat oven to 350°
1 cup almond flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1-2 drops of stevia or other liquid artificial sweetener
PAM
Combine the almond meal and baking powder.
Add the cream, water, sweetener, and eggs, stir to combine.
Add the melted butter, stir to combine.
Divide the batter amongst 6 muffins.
Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges are slightly browned and the tops are firm to the touch.
<the end>

Rani
Old 06-07-2003, 01:36 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

My problem is breakfast. I love bagels w/cream cheese and toast with pbj. What foods are good besides eggs, sausage, bacon and fruits for breakfast. Any cereals?
Old 06-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Caronomy asked "My problem is breakfast. I love bagels w/cream cheese and toast with pbj. What foods are good besides eggs, sausage, bacon and fruits for breakfast. Any cereals?>

Oh goodness, YES! Pancakes and waffles, too. And bagels. And french toast.

Here are two hot cereal recipes:

HOT "FLAX-CEREAL"
YOU CAN BUY FLAX SEED (ALREADY GROUND OR WHOLE, AND GRIND IT YOURSELF) AT THE HEALTH FOOD STORE.
3 TBSP FLAX SEED MEAL
2-3 TBSP VANILLA PROTEIN POWDER
2/3 CUP WATER
DASH OF SALT

MIX TILL SMOOTH AND MICROWAVE FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES (YOUR MICROWAVE MAY VARY)
TOP WITH A PAT OF BUTTER, ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER, HEAVY CREAM, AND CINNAMON, TO TASTE

THIS LOOKS AND TASTES LIKE WHEATENA, AND IS A VERY GOOD SOURCE OF FIBER AS WELL.

Mimi's Mock Oatmeal
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 package splenda
1tsp. maple flavoring
Nuke on high for 3 minutes

Now, you CAN get that flax cereal premade, it's called Flax-a-Meal and most of the LC webstores have it, try Carbsmart.com and Netrition.com And there is a cold cereal, I can't vouch for it though. I have a recipe for bagels, it's a LOT of work. But you can buy them online at Aspen Ice Cream and other LC sites, I believe their URL is http://www.aspenicecream.com/html/lowcarb.html

There are a gazillion LC pancake recipes, most of them based on protein powder in lieu of flour, as well as various lowcarb pancake mixes available at the online stores and many health food stores. Sugar-free syrups are widely available, as well.

You mentioned fruit and that is not suggested, although after finishing Induction, limited quantities of the low-glycemic fruits (berries and cantelope) are OK. Personally, if I have a yen for fruit, I either have some diet V-8 Splash or slice 2 or 3 strawberries on top of the pancakes or cereal.

How's that sound?

Rani