Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-15-2002, 03:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you graceygrammy--

Thanks for the link what a wonderful site. Even though I already have my own diet in place it looks like they have a lot of tips and articles.

gina.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

Have been on the Suzanne Sommers diet x2 in the past 3 years....and have loved it. The first year i lost 20 pounds...2nd time, lost 15 pounds! Had lots of energy and never got those hunger pangs, or felt hunger all the time. Blood sugar levels stayed around 5.2 (S-I-L is diabetic and would take my sugars). She couldn't believe my levels and started to follow the "way of eatting". Her doctor was impressed to see her sugar under control. She lost 40 pounds. My main food "staples" are cheese, kolbessa and pickles...no i am not pregnant. At first I thought i was going to lose my mind not being able to eat a baked potato or rice. Then in about a week i was okay..and still cooked them for the rest of the family. I just ate salad instead of the carb. The whole family eats healthier when i am watching what i eat!! All i can say is that some things work for some people, and some don't. Cutting out sugar was hard to do. When you look at the ingredients on all the labels, sugar is there. Hard to believe that "diet salad dressing" has sugar as the 2nd or 3rd ingred. on the list. I followed Weight Watchers some 10 years ago and i still remember being hunger all the time. Good Luck!!:p
Old 07-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone!,

This has been what seems to be a passionate debate in this forum.

I have recently begun to restrict my carbs in an effort to do SOMETHING to reduce a more than 100 pound weight gain over the past deccade. All the so-called "diets" have failed for me, as it seems that once I begin the day of eating, I become a locomotive on a feeding frenzy.

In six days of eliminating anything "white" from my diet, (pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, sugar, etc.)...I'm down 12 pounds and not hungry. I've eaten a lot of eggs and more cheese and yoghurt in that time than I am used to, and more pickles than I can count...but I'm drinking a lot of water and decafeinated sugar-free sodas and feeling great.

My blood levels are all normal, (I'm followed by a hemotologist, so I know) and he just said keep drinking the water, and do the blood work every three months. So far, so good.

I also subscribe to a medical web site www.medpulse.com, which publishes articles for health professionals, and the latest nutrition information on the low-carb diets is turning the medical community on it's ear.

The studies comming out all over Europe and the States is debunking wht doctors have believed for the past 30 years, and challenging what our generation has been raised to believe. Eating protein and fat in the absence of high carbs is not as unhealthy as they thought. It seems they are learning that when it's combined with the carbs...that it will kill you. Go figure....

Does anyone remember tha line from the Woody Allen movie "Sleeper" when he wakes up 200 years later and they tell him "Oh yes, steaks are good for you, we found out that all the Health Foods were killing people"....

If we only knew...
:p
Old 07-24-2002, 11:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lifestar,

Congratulations on the progress that you have already made. Low carbing has worked wonders for both my husband and I for the time that we have been on it (the past 5 months). We have both lost more weight than any other diet and he has his blood pressure under control even without one prescription medication that his doctor weaned him off of. It is the first time that I have changed my eating habits and not had in the back of my mind "I can't wait to get off of this diet." You can actually survive eating this way and cheat once in a while and not gain the weight back. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Jenn
Old 07-24-2002, 12:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congratulations to all of you who have had success! I think it's absolutely wonderful. I had posted here some time back about my 70lb weight loss by low carbing. I couldn't have done it any other way.

Now that Dr. Atkins (although I didn't follow "his" diet) has funded a study and that study has proven that high protein/low carb diets DO work, my hope is others won't be so quick to judge this way of eating. It really has worked miracles for a lot of people. I understand it's not for everyone, but it is for some. Hooray!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I got a book at the library called "Sugar Busters" It's alot like Adkins, is anyone familar with sugar busters diet? I started it last Mon. so its been 10 days, I've lost 9 lbs. and I even ate at Hardees and at a big dinner over the week end, I just knew I had put everything back on, but I did'nt . So if I had been a good girl over the weekend I'm sure I would have taken off more than 9 lbs. The best part is I dont feel like I'm on a diet, I think I can stick to this.
I think one of the most important things to remember is if you mess up, get right back on it. and EXERCISE!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congrats on everyone that has lost weight!

But just one thought. Satan didn't temp eve with a steak, but with an apple.

In the begining God created us to be vegans. This was his perfect plan.

I have done a lot of studying on this subject.

Its all about calories. I know what a typical day of eating is on a low-carber and also on a veggie, ww, etc.

you burn more cals that you take in and guess what? Weight loss!

It worked for me. I got down to 113 just by counting cals and working out 6 days a week. I don't remeber low-carb then as it is so big now.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI i went on atkins when he first came out . i lost 75lbs.. it was great but my life changed and of course so did my eating habits. So for New Years this year i decided to try him again and im really pleased again with the results and i think im ready to make a life commitment now.. I live alone but have a daycare so i fix meals for the kids. i make my meals ahead and just heat them up when im fixing theirs .. makes it easy. i eat my dinner after the kids leave and i fix my place setting nicely and use my special dish and salad bowl.. i make myself feel special.. it helps.. i have lost 13# since Jan 1st. and i know i have lost inches just dont know how many i have lots of energy again too.. thanks for all the advice on this site.. it helps to read about others trying to lose also Have a great day Whisper
Old 01-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Three cheers for you whisper...
I too am counting the carbs, this is really the only thing that has ever really worked like it promises. Maybe we can start a support thread for anyone who is on the low carb diets or anyone interested in them... watch for one.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thanks for the word of encouragement graceygrammy im almost 60 and it isnt easy losing.. went on much easier if it would warm up some outside and quit the blizzarding i would like to go walking in the evening maybe soon it will be nice enough. im glad to hear it is working for you also.. keep in touch. Whisper