Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Atkins diet

Dear Hawaiaan Momma
That report you just gave looks not to good. HOpe
your hubbie is back on the road to recovery and
a healthier eating pattern.

I am comparing the comments and insights here.

I am still not quite convinced that lo-carb is for me.
I've grown up with the meat-milk-bread-fruits/veg diet and for
the most part am healthy. (ie no digestive troubles)

One of the processes I have forced myself to undergo
is to figure out what is different now than it
was when I was 14. Well you guessed it! I have
four kids and I cook for the family. That says
it all. My mom used to cook when I was growing
up and she was exposed to the shopping and need
to cook nutritious meal. Now it's
me.

What I can recall is small meat portions (ie - we
shared a large round steak with 5 people). Or
one chicken drumstick per person. We ate
oatmeal or cereal with milk for breakfast, and
for lunch it was generally bread or soup and bread,
with a fruit. As a child I was very active in
sports in school up till grade 11 when physed
no longer was mandatory. I stayed active physically
somewhat but from then on, physical activity
was not a part of my normal schedule. I did
not gain weight until after my children started
arriving.

Lo carbing is very difficult to do. So far
I've tried for a week to figure out what to
eat for breakfast beside an egg. I hate
bacon because of the fat (I like it occassionally).
I can see the point about the family eating
differently. That's definitely not going to
happen in this house. Either the diet serves
all the members of the family or it won't be
implemented.

I ate over 147 carbs from morning to noon one day.
Recommended is 60 carbs per day. I did succeed
in reducing my supper portion of spaghetti noodles
in meat sauce by about 1/2, and did find some
coleslaw to add to that. A bit of an odd taste
combination, but allowed me to complement with a lo-carb
item (coleslaw).

At least thinking about what I'm eating will help me.
I found a little carbohydrate counter booklet from
years ago, so I'm going to look through that and
those the more nutritious items with a mind to fat
content. I don't want to sacrifice lo-fat for lo-carb,
but I think in general high carb intake for me personally
is a problem, but I have to consider lo-fat and lo-chol
as well in this household.

Still not jumping for joy. but the support on this forum
is really nice. Thanks all.
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 05-23-2002, 02:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lo carb diets/nutrition

Even with so many respondants in favor of the Atkins diet, I still believe it is too radical and not in line with how our bodies were designed to eat. In "pre-agricultural days", man was living in a garden (The Garden) and ate all manner of things that grew - seeds, grains, fruits, vegetables. After the flood, meat was added to that diet. I think the secret is to eat in moderation, with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains supplemented with meat and fish in smaller portions than our culture has trained us to think normal. Our family tries to avoid processed meats, breads and refined sugars as much as possible (although not entirely - this is where the moderation thing comes in). We are very careful to make sure we get a lot of fiber, and drink lots of water each day also.

Hang in there Clutterbug!
Old 05-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diets and moderation

Thanks cubs for that reminder.

One of the interesting things I've noticed about
myself since beginning to study the lo-carb
diet alternative is that I am thinking about food
more.

I am totally on the wrong track still with
my current diet. I think the lo-carb approach
is just not going to work for me. It is simply
too drastic of a change for my current lifestyle
and eating habits. I'm not giving up yet completely
because there are still many habits that need to
be altered. I have not been at my desk for days
to respond or check emails because I've felt
guilty about spending too much time sitting.

Successfully planted 1/2 my garden before collapsing
for 2 days. Earned 2 days of rest for the 4-6 hours
that's taken so far.(no rototiller here! - conveniently
broken down )

Indeed moderation is the key. I do not overeat
but I do eat the wrong things a lot of the time.
Being home alone all day means I generally snatch
things here or there. Then come supper, everyone
comes home famished and the cookies, bread, crackers
fly from the cupboards for about a 2 hour period until
supper is ready.

I'm thinking I should have supper ready at 4:30
for my kids, and then warm it for my husband, because
waiting is making us crazy. I suppose this is
one lifestyle change that may help with the carbo
loading that's happening between 4-7.

It also appears that the later I stay up, the more I
consume in the carbo chart (ie cookies or crackers).
I read somewhere that as long as we are awake, we
look to eat something (yikes!). With the 3-5 meal
a day pattern most healthy diets prescribes, it's
a wonder we would have time for anything else besides
eating.

I did discover also that in effect I was starving myself
at times unknowingly. Being home alone causes you to
either focus on food or on a project. Either you are
are lazying around all day reading a book (and consuming
who knows what), or working
on a project in the basement that needs your attention and
before you know it
you are collapsing from hunger and rush to the kitchen for
whatever is handy, generally just before the kids come home from
school. So, some changes in eating habits are needed too.

At times the fridge looks overstuffed and it looks ridiculous
and other times it looks like its been raided.

I like the idea of keeping moderation as our motto because
we can become very complicated with our attitudes towards
food. Do we eat to live? or live to eat?. We should eat
to live, I think.

Still working on it. Walked a mile the other day.

my muscles hurt.
www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 07-13-2002, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Every person (6) I know that has been on the Atkins diet has lost weight while on the diet. But it does not seem to be something you can stick with the rest of your life and when they went off and started eating normally again they all gained back the weight PLUS an extra 5 to 60 lbs.
gina.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Atkins Diet

Years ago, I tried the Atkins diet...it works I lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks. I thought about giving it a try again till I heard DR ATKINS himself had a HEART ATTACK! So no thank-you..I guess the old fashion way is for me...watch portions, and exercise....do not take more in than you burn!

janet
Old 07-13-2002, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hubby must be an exception ...

Quote:
Originally posted by geenna74
Every person (6) I know that has been on the Atkins diet has lost weight while on the diet. But it does not seem to be something you can stick with the rest of your life and when they went off and started eating normally again they all gained back the weight PLUS an extra 5 to 60 lbs.
gina.
My husband has successfully negiotated the low-carbohydrate "diet" (which should be renamed lifestyle because it is a proven fact that a diet does not work if the methodology of the diet is not embraced as a lifestyle change) for two years now and has plateaued at a point where his body is healthier, and he is certainly happier. He is a Type II diabetic, diagnosed two years ago, and feels it is much easier to go the low-carb route than counting all the exchanges. He does take dietary supplements with the blessing of his nutritionist as an insurance policy to make sure he is getting the vitamins and nutrients and especially the colloidal minerals he might be missing otherwise.

Triglycerides, cholesterol, blood sugars, etc., are now all within the acceptable ranges with no medications or injections. He credits the low-carbohydrate lifestyle and his strict adherence to it for the changes he now enjoys healthwise.

Once in a great while, he will indulge in a small portion of a food item that he does not normally eat amy more, but is very religious in then checking blood sugars until he reaches a normal range once again.

Also, I have noticed three times on CNN and MSNBC this past week reports that nutritionists, doctors and science people are taking another look at this Adkins lifestyle change, and the reports are suggesting that Adkins "may be onto something here." Kind of incredible when you think that Adkins has been expousing this low-carbohydrate lifestyle for thirty years!

It may not work for everyone but it sure has for some!

Sandie
Old 07-13-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Iam so happy that your husband is doing so good and has found something that works for him. I really think that is the key to weight loss, what works for you.
It seems your husband has a really huge motivator with the diabetes. I have seen people who do not have such a need and they eventually want to eat all foods again and it is almost impossible to continue cutting out certain foods. and then they gain back all the weight plus more.
Like I said Iam so happy for your husband, if it works for him that is great.
gina.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

How true!

Quote:
Originally posted by geenna74
Iam so happy that your husband is doing so good and has found something that works for him. I really think that is the key to weight loss, what works for you.
It seems your husband has a really huge motivator with the diabetes. I have seen people who do not have such a need and they eventually want to eat all foods again and it is almost impossible to continue cutting out certain foods. and then they gain back all the weight plus more.
Like I said Iam so happy for your husband, if it works for him that is great.
gina.
Gina, you are absolutely correct! Control of his diabetes is of paramount importance to him. He is soon to be 60, and what could happen to him if he doesn't control it is almost unthinable so he does have motivation that might not be there for others just wanting to lose weight.

Although I am not as "motivated" with controlling carbs as he is, I have benefited from his lifestyle changes in a big way, also. We just don't keep sweets around the house anymore, which means I don't bake! And I don't really miss it, either. DH does use saltines in the balance equations and is almost unlimited in his intake of them as long as they are balanced by the requisite protein (i.e. cheese and crackers, crackers and peanut butter, crackers and meat, etc.) He does have Jello instant sugar free pudding made with skim milk each day but here again, it is important to remember that all milk contains some carbs.

His carb intake daily (on average)? He limits it to 35. Breakfast is a two-egg omelet w/cheese and a small amount of breakfast meat and one slice of low-carb bread/toast with coffee. Mid-morning is usually a low-carb yogurt. Lunch daily is a large chef salad with saltines, and dinner is meat, green vegetable(s), cottage cheese or dinner salad, and one low-carb slice of bread. Evening snack is usually the pudding and if he is still hungry, then crackers and cheese or crackers and peanut butter.

While I might add a small baked potato for myself for dinner, I am eating the same foods as he is. (Bain of my existence is to have to fix more than one kind of meal so I just switched over to his foods.) For breakfast, I might have a bagel or whatever instead of the bigger breakfast.

He does not now eat fruits at all, and this was a concern for me, but the dietician and nutritionist educated me as to where he can pick up the vitamins we associate with consumption of fruit from the vegetable family (i.e. broccoli). And he does take dietary supplements (vitamins) to make up for this lack of fruit.

I have lost about 30 lbs. on this lifestyle and have adjusted to it very well, which is good because I needed to make that change, too! I would like to drop another 15 to 20 lbs. over time, and if I got really serious about it, I think I could do it with no problem. But, (sigh), I am not that motivated ... yet. LOL

It took quite awhile of reading labels and low-carb materials to determine which foods/products we could use. But, I will say it is worth it, and definitely helped with the food budget, too. When I began doing the math, I was surprised at how much $$$ we were spending on junk-type or convenience foods that were loaded with carbs.

Sandie
Old 07-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Gina wrote: Every person (6) I know that has been on the Atkins diet has lost weight while on the diet. But it does not seem to be something you can stick with the rest of your life and when they went off and started eating normally again they all gained back the weight PLUS an extra 5 to 60 lbs.

Then they failed to do the final step that Atkins outlines in his books: how to develop the Maintenance plan of the diet so you can live with it for the rest of your life and maintain the weight loss.

No matter what diet you do, if you go back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place (aka as you call it, "eating normally") , you're going to regain it, and Atkins makes that point over and over again. This is not a quick-loss diet where you get to go back to your old eating habits when it's "over."

I have stuck to it for nearly 5 years now and I will never, ever again eat sugars and starches. I eat a wide variety of veggies and proteins, ample fats, some fruits, nuts, and odds and ends of other low-carb items. ANYTHING that I missed from my pre-lowcarb days, I have found a low-carb substitute for it. Every diet "expert" around will tell you that the people who lose the weight to their goal and KEEP it off are the ones who make it a Way Of Eating, not just a temporary diet. People don't like to have to change their lifestyle for good, but that's what it takes.

Another poster wrote: "After numerous blood tests and physicals, the doctor explainned that the Atkins diet trainned his body not to burn fats naturally and that instead of burning the fat it was just burning carbs. "

That makes no sense. On the Standard American Diet, a body normally burns carbs first, fats next. If the body gets ample fuel in the form of carbs, it will store the fat. In the absence of sufficient carbs for fuel, it takes the fat out of storage and voila, you lose those bodyfat stores. If the person was eating an LC diet, then, no, the body was not just burning carbs. What IS possible is that he was eating more dietary fat than he needed and was just burning that and not bodyfat, but that isn't what it sounds like from the poster's description.

Did anyway see the pro-low-carb article in Sunday's New York Times Magazine?
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07FAT.html

Rani
Old 07-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have been doing alot of research on several diets that people have recomended to me lately, and I come across this site, it lists every diet I have ever heard of [I've been on several of them in the past] it gives a pro and con view of each one and on some it even gives you the diet....

http://www.chasefreedom.com