Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey everyone. Well its day 7 on the SB for me and I have lost 6 lbs! WooHoo!

I feel great and I have not been hungry nor have I ever felt deprived. I have eaten out at restaurants including fast food and never felt like I had to cheat to be satisfied.

I can already tell that the weight is coming off around the middle just like the diet claims.

Here is a sampling of what I have been eating this past week:

Breakfasts:

Canadian Bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese

Sirloin Steak and eggs

Lunches:

Large grilled chicken salads

grilled chicken and brocolli

Wendys double cheesburger w/ no bun, no ketchup & a side salad

Dinners:

sirloin steak and salad

Shrimp fajitas no tortillas

Taco salad no tortillas

Omelets w/ chicken, brocolli and cheese

Snacks:

Lowfat cheese

sugar free jello

sugar free fudgesicles

Drinks:

Caffiene free diet coke

Caffiene free tea

I hope others will share some of their menu choices.

Good Luck everyone!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

SB diet

My daughter and I have both been on South Beach for fifteen days. The first two weeks she lost 8 pounds and I lost 6. My husband is on Atkins (for the 2nd time - took a break over the holidays) and he lost 8 punds in the same 2 weeks.

SB is pretty easy to stick with, but I definetly have not lost my craving for sweets, which was one of the main reasons I chose SB over some others. Sugar free jello, hard candy, and popsicles satisfy those cravings, but they're still here! Plenty of variety for snacks and meals. The third week is GREAT! We get to add some fruit and high fiber breads. Had 1/2 a grapefruit and some pistachios for breakfast. YUM! (Was getting a little tired of eggs and canadian bacon.)

Several restaurants offer low card menus now. There is stuff at Subway, Burger King, TGIFriday's and Don Pablos (mexican food). Other fast food restaurants (we like Wendy's) have all their nutrition info online and you can figure out what works and what doesn't.

dawny
Old 01-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Just wanted to add a quick tip about the SB diet.... With all of the low carb stuff out there now, remember the 3 carb rule....its recommended that even during phase 2 that you eat nothing with over 3 net carbs in it and the lower the sugar amt. the better. Remember that you can subtract the fiber grams from the carbs to lower the carb amt too.

We are all sick here at our house so this isnt working too well for us right now. Boy, I sound like Im full of excuses but I actually cant wait to stick to this for a while. Having a sore throat though and a sinus infection just doesnt make me want to eat a salad or munch on celery sticks.

Ill be back though!!

Keep up the good work everyone and keep posting your ideas and recipes!!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey everyone I found this recipe today it looks pretty good and I believe you could even eat it in Phase I.

Chicken and Zucchini Stew

1 18 oz can tomatoes
1 cup low-fat,low-sodium chicken broth
1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
2 tsp minced fresh basil
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cooked and cubed into 2-inch pieces

1. Drain the liquid from the tomatoes into a saucepan. Chop the tomatoes and set aside. Add the broth, green pepper and garlic to the tomato liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.

2. Add reserved tomatoes, zucchini, pepper, salt and basil. Simmer until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes.

Makes 6 servings Prep time: 20 minutes

4g total fat, 7g carbs, 2g dietary fiber
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tami , I have been reading the book for a week now and studying the prevention.com website and the only time I have seen any reference to carb counting ie... limit to 3 g is in salad dressings and mayonaise. Thats what I love about this diet there is no carb or calorie counting! Where did you read that info? I sure don't want to find I've been doing this wrong.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

kimmyo, On the Prevention site ( somewhere I just cant quote where right now) it was said by a few of the well-versed one on there, to make sure to watch your net carbs and keep them to a 3 or less limit especially in canned vegs, breads, whole wheat pasta.....etc. You cant watch the carbs in beans but the fiber is so high that they are allowed. I know that a lot of people dont follow this rule either but if you are following it strictly, it is a rule.

The thing that makes me so mad right now is how a lot of companies are coming out with "low carb" stuff and saying that it only has 12 grams of carb or 17 grams of carbs!! Thats a lot of carbs for just one serving.

How are you doing on the diet? Which phase are you in now? I think that it is more important during phase one to really watch the carbs then in phase 2 you can splurge a little more ---although, the more you splurge the less weight loss you will see.

Ill try to find the pages at Prevention in the next day or so so that I can show you what I read.

I havent even started back again yet and boy do I feel it.

Keep posting and let me know how youre doing!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ok, Heres an update to what Ive stated before.....

In the revised addition, we are no longer going by the 3 carb rule for anything other than condiments. Most do suggest however watching the carbs on such things as whole wheat pastas and breads because being whole wheat alone is not good enough for you.

I guess the best thing that you can do is to use your head when picking out food, stay away from as much processed food as you can and use the glycemic index for the good and bad carb foods. There are high glycemic foods that are still good for you.....carrots being one of them. I believe that they are going to raise the amounts of tomato that is allowed daily too, along with allowing FF SF yogurt on Phase 1. This is supposedly being published in his new book that is due out this spring.

If I can find the original thread, I will post it for you so that you dont think that Ive gone off the deep end with this info.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-22-2004, 01:58 AM
BoggsZ

I would love to go on a diet that I dont stay hungry on or dont get the shacks I love to try this died but cant buythe book right now id like to have a minu to go by every day because Idont have much well power and i cheat if im not strict but ill get one one of these days and try it Im trying right now just to cut back and eat smaller portions Iv drind Dr dr pepper need to drink more water and exercise more I just need to get motivated
Old 01-22-2004, 03:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Tami! I really appreciate the input and NO I don't think you are going off the deep end!:p
Old 01-22-2004, 03:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Does anyone here know if The South Beach Diet is okay for diabetics???

I'd like to find an "eating plan" that "H" and I can do together - other than Weight Watchers.

Can't do Atkins as it is not recommended for diabetics.