Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Colloidal Silver

Colloidal Silver promoters do claim to treat a wide variety of infections, including sinusitis. The increase problems caused by lung infections would also make asthmatics more susceptible to the false claims of Colloidal Silver hawkers.

During the late 1800's, before the advent of antibiotics, silver compounds were used as antibacterial agents. They're still used as a topical agent in the form of Silver Nitrate to help treat severe burns. Silver has a long history of its disinfection qualities being used as a way to discourage growth of bacteria and algae. Copper has also been used for centuries for the same purposes. You'll still find copper widely used to reduce bacterial growth in a variety of places. These metals' ability to retard the growth of organisms is evidence of their toxic nature. Colloidal Silver's advocates claim it only kills "pathogenic" organisms, in truth, it has an effect on all living cells. There is also a small percentage of the population that will develop allergies to silver for the same reasons. The true toxic nature of silver is not fulling understood, another reason for caution and scepticism.

The only known result of taking Colloidal Silver is a condition known as Argyria. Argyria is an irreversible skin discoloration cause by the cumulative effect of being exposed to silver and silver compounds. Over a period of time, usually years, silver deposits itself in the skin, organs, and other tissues of the body and is characterized by the grey or blue-grey discoloration of the skin. A must read essay on Argyria and the effects of having this condition can be found in Rosemary Jacobs' site on Argyria. Rosemary speaks of her being ostracized by her peers and harassed by Colloidal Silver promoters. As a child, Rosemary was prescribed Colloidal Silver nose drops as a treatment for sinus problems. Ms. Jacobs has filed a citizen's petition with the FDA that all orally-administered products containing Colloidal Silver be required to carry a warning label, and that the FDA consider banning all ingestible silver products that have not been proven effective.

The facts are there is no documentation that Colloidal Silver effectively treats anything! The FDA has issued statements that Colloidal Silver is a "potentially serious public health concern." The National Nutritional Foods Association (NNFA) has stated that Colloidal Silver has not been demonstrated to be either safe or effective (NNFA Today, Oct. 1996). Colloidal Silver causes Argyria.

Last edited by Lifestar; 08-29-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh My!!!

That is some scary stuff!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Newbie

Colloidal Silver Disinformation Corrected

Hi Abear,

Actually Lifestar has posted information that is incorrect. There has never been a case of argyria recorded from the taking of true colloidal silver. Pure silver is non-toxic. Silver salts are not. Look it up for yourself in the Merck Physicians Desk Reference. Herein lies the crux of the scare stories.

The few cases of documented argyria have all come from the ingestion of silver salts, which ARE NOT colloidal silver. These are usually the results of badly home made CS preparations which used either impure silver (Silverware, coins or jewelry which were alloyed with another metal, usually nickel) or impure water (tap or spring, which was loaded with other dissolved minerals or adultered with chlorine, fluoride, etc). Home made CS should only be done with pure distilled water and silver with a purity assay of at least .999, or 99.9% pure.

I make my own low voltage ionic colloid silver with a generator from SilverPuppy. I researched CS making for 3 years before deciding on this fully automatic system. So far (2 years) it has performed flawlessly. I do not take the silver from this process internally. I use it for stopping fungus, mildew, mold and bacteria in my garden and house plants, on bathroom and kitchen surfaces and for deodorizing smelly sneakers and dog bedding, along with furniture and areas of carpeting that the dog favors... just spray it on and let it dry. It is also good for topical uses on me and the pets' skin irritations, cuts, scratches and burns. I rinse my dog with it after every one of her baths. There are literally thousands of uses for it.

It is also great when added to the rinse cycle of my laundry. I put in about 1 pint at the beginning of the rinse cycle when the tub is filling... and when dry, the clothes resist odor when the weather is hot, muggy and sweaty. It also inhibits athlete's foot fungus in socks. It works wonders on laundry loads that have been forgotten in the washer for a day or two and have mildewed and gone sour. Just add the silver and re-run the rinse cycle then dry normally. The mildew and odor are gone. This also disinfects the entire washing machine internally.

There are many products on the market claiming to be colloidal silver which are not. Any colloidal silver product that needs to be shaken before use, is suspended in a protein, has an added citrate, etc, is not a true colloidal silver and should be avoided. Even if it is not adultered in any way, over 95% of the so called colloidal silvers on store shelves are made with a low voltage process which creates an ionic silver product. This is no better than you can make for yourself at home.

Ionic preparations are silver particles in suspension which carry a positive electrical charge. As soon as this is ingested, it can begin to chemically bind with other minerals of compounds found naturally in the body, greatly reducing its antibiotic effect. This is the reason why on so many internet forums, dedicated to homemade CS (sometimes referred to EIS), the dosages recommended there are so high. Some promote drinking 8 to 16 ounces at a time, multiple times daily to fight a cold or flu. That is just ridiculous.

If you wish to take colloidal silver internally to prevent infectious illness, you should only take a pure nanopartical elemental silver preparation. There are not many of these around, and of those that are, there is little science available to back their claims... and most of those claims come from their own in-house labs and is skewed to make their product stand out from the herd. It is not independent, objective science.

To learn about colloidal silver from a professor who devoted his life to research with colloids, please read this definitive work on colloidal silver, by Ronald Gibbs: http://www.lifesilver.com/SilverColloids-s.pdf

Eight years ago, I was fortunate to meet the scientists responsible for the most advanced medical silver preparation that I have found to date. I was working for a west coast company which is the largest manufacturer of vitamin C supplements in the country. I was representing this company at the annual NNFA International Exposition of Health and Nutrition Products, in Anaheim CA. The folks from American Biotech Labs were directly across the aisle from our display. They gave me a sack full of their silver product samples, which I took home and forgot about.

One of my dogs had been through three different antibiotic regimens for a chronic urinary tract infection, which, each time, returned within a day or two after completing the antibiotic cycles. She was miserable and beginning to show symptoms again after completing the final pills of the latest "cure". I remembered the silver samples that I had been given and decided to give it a try. The results were remarkable. By the end of the day her symptoms were gone and she was playing like a puppy. I repeated the dosage twice the following day, using a soft rubber syringe to squirt about a teaspoon full to the back of her throat.

The next day she was scheduled for a follow up visit to the vet where a urine sample was drawn for lab analysis. The vet called me two days later with the lab results. There was zero trace of the infectious bacteria in her bladder. This confused him since antibiotics never kill all of the bacteria; always leaving a trace which is hoped is small enough for the immune system to finish off.

At this point I was convinced enough to try it myself. I was contracting a chronic bronchial infection at least once a year, which was more and more often progressing to pneumonia. These infections would sometimes take me miserably down for two weeks at a time.

At the advice of the people at American Biotech, I acquired a small mist spray bottle began to take two or three deep inhales of their silver mist after a good steamy shower. I would also take one teaspoon orally at the same time. I usually did this just before bedtime.

I have not had the bronchial problems for over eight years now. My dentist noted that plaque build up on my teeth had stopped, and I had noticed that I no longer had bad breath problems and my gums had stopped receding. My skin cleared up too. I have not visited an MD for an infectious problem, nor have I taken an antibiotic in eight years.

If you would like to see a lot of the science that is available on these products, much is posted at this website where I now order my ASAP from. www.lifesilver.com.

The Safety page there is also a reassuring read: http://www.lifesilver.com/safety.htm

Here is the Brigham Young University Microbiology Department summary of the thousands of pathogenic studies that they have performed with these products. This is an impressive kill list (in under 5 minutes) of the most common bacterial causes of disease:
http://www.lifesilver.com/brigham.pdf

The President of American Biotech Labs was invited to address a Congressional subcommittee about the positive hospital results that they were getting in Africa with diseases like AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, etc, which were not responding to antibiotics. The Appendix section of this document is enlightening, especially the results of the malaria studies.
http://www.americanbiotechlabs.com/c...caGlobalHR.pdf

Some of the published peer reviewed scientific studies done on these products are available
In PDF format here: http://www.lifesilver.com/studies.htm

I apologize if I sound like I am proselytizing, but after watching the improvements in my life, and the lives of my friends, neighbors and their children and pets after introducing them to this alternative to antibiotics, I feel that everyone should at least be armed with the accurate information so that they can make educated choices that are not based on the old wives tales and scare stories that are everywhere on the internet about colloidal silver.

All colloidal silver is not the same, from manufacturer to manufacturer. The silver that I prefer has stacks of independently generated, peer reviewed and published science, 3 US Patents, EPA approvals as a surface disinfectant, clinical and hospital human testing. There is no other manufacturer of silver supplemental products that even comes close to this level of documentation and credibility.

I consider it my duty to at least offer access to the information that has changed my life for the better. If you are truly devoted to the welfare of your family, you will take the time to look over the facts offered here. This is information that most doctors are not even aware of, due to the campaign of suppression and fear mongering done by the pharmaceutical companies. Fortunately there is a growing body of medical professionals who are using this new silver technology. I have access to the American Biotech Labs nationwide directory of MDs and naturopaths who are successfully using these products in their practices. They range from GPs and oncologists to chiropractors and osteopaths. If you would like contact information for one in your area, please let me know.

Knowledge protects.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Colloidal Silver

I have just recently discovered colloidal silver. I have been using it in gel form to treat pimples and it works amazingly well! Pimples cleared within a day! I have also been using it on dry areas and have seen a remarkable improvement. My husband has some ugly cancer melanoma's on his face from being a long distance runner and not using correct sun protection when he was younger and they are always raw and bleeding. He is forever plastering high factor sun tan lotion and all sorts of creams on them and said that since he stopped doing that and sprayed the colloidal silver spray on they have been much better and less dry and patchy.
It seems to be working for us.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Newbie

Not bad.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have heard a lot of great things about colloidal silver. I bought some as well. I just hate how the government tries to demonize the very things that help us.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I make and use CS and have for years. Love the stuff.