Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Get another opinion

I have three children with my oldest being 10. None of my children have ever had a cavity. Although my oldest is dealing with braces. My children brush their teeth everyday, especially before bedtime. And something that may have helped them is using the pink Plax flouride rince after they brush.

I agree with getting another opinion. When I was a child I had what our dentist said was a lot of caities everytime I went in. We went to him for several years. I never had any pain in my mouth & we couldn't see any visible problems. My mom finally tried another dentist and wouldn't you know, I didn't have another cavity for many years. Since then I have met several people who had the same problem with this same dentist.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son is 6 1/2 and his molars have not fallen out yet. He has one SS Cap on a first molar towards the front .His tooth was all but gone. It was a little tender around it for a few days, I knew this only because I asked him. he didn't offer this information.

If it is going to be in the front, they have a clear/tooth colored cap so your child won't feel funny or be made fun of because they either have no teeth or have funny looking metal teeth. (unless he is like my child and has dreams of being a robot when he grows up it might be fun for him )

oh if it's the same tooth on both sides, pulling would be fine. But just one would move the teeth one way causing more dental cost in the future I would think.

Hope this help
Gidge
Old 03-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been personally debating this question since I read it. My first vision was a beautiful child with a metal smile. It seems to me with all the white fillings, silver should be a last option. Secondly, at 4 they are about to get new teeth. My concern would be to find out why it happened in the first place. If it was diet, you can change it; if it was how they brushed, you can change that too. When my son was 10 months old he ran, he never walked. I was in the bathroom and he ran in, tripped over the rug and hit the tub, forcing his 2 top and 2 bottom teeth back up into his gums. When they came back down a top one absessed. We had it taken out at 2. When he was 6, had his new front teeth, he was hit in the mouth with a floor hockey stick, breaking the tooth off. Needless to say, stick with the advice and expertise of the experts. My own personal opinion, I wouldn't go with metal!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Update

I want to thank everyone for their responses and bring you up to date on the cavity situation. Since the visit with the pediatric dentist who recommended the stainless steel crowns, my son fell at daycare and split his lip open on the handlebars of a scooter requiring it to be sutured by a maxiofacial surgeon. He told us he would need a scar revision after a couple months to get the most minimal scar possible. So, on one of the follow up visits, I asked him when we do the scar revision under anesthesia could we also drill out the cavities and he said yes! So, earlier this week that is what we did. He put in temporary fillings that also aid in cleaning up the bacteria and will last about 6 months. He'll still have to have these permanantly filled but I think he can handle that in the dentist's office.

So, lesson learned: ask around and remember that what would appear to be a bad thing (surgery for a busted lip) may end up being a blessing from the Lord (cavities filled without pain).

Thanks, ladies!
Old 05-24-2003, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Excellant! Yes blessings come in many disguises!!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm so glad you have received such a blessing! It's never easy to make decisions for our children. There is so much to weigh! This forum is a great source for help and everyone has good, heart-felt advice! God Bless.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Kids and teeth

I am frankly surprised my 12 yo step son doesnt have cavities or teeth problems. He must come from a good family of teeth. He never brushes his teeth. he must be told and nagged until he does brush them. He will go 3-4 days without brushing, which is very gross to me. Hes only been with us for 2 yrs. so He must not have been taught hygine from his mother. But, the kid had no cavities. We had sealants put on his teeth, and he gets flouride treatments from the dentist since hes been with us. In fact, he said hed never been to a dentist until coming to live with us!! My own son, brushes regulary, has had sealants, and he does have a few cavities. In fact, as a 3 yo, had 2 silver caps put on his back baby molars until they fell out. I rememeber one time, he was eating a carmel candy, and pulled the silver cap off. Oh gosh, no wonder he had caps huh?