Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cellular Top Down Bottom Up Blinds

If you have these blinds, what are your likes or dislikes with them.Do you have curtains or drapes over the top of them? I am looking into installing these in my living room and it is a huge expense for me ($300-$400 for one window) so I would appreciate your feedback. What about pleated blinds? I need something with thermal backing for heat and cold. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cellular shades

I, too, would like to install these. I think they may be the perfect, light & airy, privacy solution. But our windows are very large. The windows are double-wide in the breakfast nook, living, dining and master bedroom. I love the idea of light/privacy control from the bottom or the top! Does anyone know if they can be installed on really wide windows?

My concern, considering the cost, is daily wear and tear on the fabric/paper. Just how well do they stand up? They appear to be rather flimsy-looking. It is just my husband and me right now - no pets (3 old died recently over the last three years - I miss my babies...).

We live in the woods in central Florida. There is a lot of shade on the house so I need to let in as much light as possible. No heavy drapery!

We built/purchased our home March 29, 2001 and I still have no window coverings! (only a standard roll-up shade in the master bedroom- Hi everybody! )

Perhaps there is a better solution to these very pricey shades?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We got the cellular up-top-down-bottom thingy shades about 3 yrs ago. I see the price hasn't gone down much! They look flimsy but ours have held up to a puppy, cat and toddler. So far only a katsup explosion has been the real problem

Our center picture window is huge and the guy that came to measure suggested NOT to get the top/down style for any larger windows. Basically because of the constant strain on the cords. As much as I wanted that option on the big one, common sense came through. We do have a regular sized window on either side with this option and they are wonderful. These face west and boy does our living room get hot in the summer-a huge difference when you walk into the next room towards the back of the house. Anyway thats why I ordered light blocking for those. On the others I just got the regular kind.

Kinda sorry I did though because in the morning its really bright in the house (except the living room).
Old 06-26-2003, 05:04 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cellular Shades

Quote:
Originally posted by LJsmom
...They look flimsy but ours have held up...

...Our center picture window is huge and the guy that came to measure suggested NOT to get the top/down style for any larger windows. Basically because of the constant strain on the cords. ...
Thank you for letting me know how well yours are holding up and that they are not recommended for large windows. I think I will get only one for our guest bathroom as the window is rather narrow.

Sorry to hear about the ketchup explosion. Ugh. Someone once threw a tuna salad sandwich across the dining room (nice, huh?)and I had tuna all over white fabric verticals. Never could get the stains out...

But then we moved and they went into the trash...