Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-21-2002, 10:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Jen (as in jen143)

I think that idea might be in his book or surely online? I'm going to look at the site and see. I get alot of ideas from him...in fact there was a lady that redid a trailer using wallpaper and paint over the paneling...that's partly why I wanted to find out more about it...

Hi recardinalbird (where are you from), I'm glad you are getting good info from this thread...I just found out it was on the newsletter so I'm glad it's something a few ppl wanted to know about...good luck in your decorating endeavors...

Hey Janet...I know they say the ceilings the 5th wall but idk if I'll try to paint those any color bc of low ceilings..I'd hate to shrink the rooms even more...lol

To everyone...sorry the multiple posts...I've been offline this weekend and now trying to catch up...thanks to everyone for participating in this thread =) I'm still new here and learning so much...keep it comin'

Mar
Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Marchelle,
I haven't checked out his site in awhile, but I need to. The kids and I (it was raining) went downstairs to work in the playroom some this morning and we got a lot accomplished. It won't be long before we'll be ready to work over the old paneling! Good luck! And if I find the info I'll let you know.

Old 07-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Painting over Panelling

Marchelle,

You're welcome! No, I really am not trying to make more work for you and I agree 100% -- you want the job done right the first time. It just takes time, so just tackle a section at a time if that is possible.

As far as the molding at the top and bottom of the wall goes, the kind I put up was very skinny, maybe about an inch wide or so. Nothing expensive or fancy, just had a nice neutral light tan finish to it, and it made the wallpapered wall look much more "complete." In fact, I remember now that I even put corner molding in at each of the two corners of that wall, and it really did look nice. Plus it helped hide any slight imperfections while trying to get the paper exactly even at top, bottom, and edges of the wall!

I am not a decorating pro by any means, but I've always loved the subject and have read and remembered quite a few hints and techniques on a wide variety of subjects. I just love to read and gather nifity ideas for things, whether I use them or not. I'm just glad to help in any way I can.

Say, where are you in Texas? I'm up here in Oklahoma City (hubby's in the Air Force here) and I have some good friends right outside Garland (suburb of Dallas). I don't get down as often as I'd like to, but I do visit there from time to time. Of course Texas is huge!! I grew up in California so I know about huge states!! But we like this area of the country and hope we can stay here when he gets out of the service.

If you or anyone else has a question for me, please fire away -- I am here to help anyone on anything that I can. Even if I can't help, I'll pray for you and hope you'll keep me informed on how things are going. My hubby and I have a blended family also and it's not been easy at all at times! However, the kids were good friends years ago before we got together, and that really helped. Now the youngest (they were 1 year old when we met) are almost 16! Scary thought....more teenage drivers!!

For all the other wonderful people who've posted ideas -- lots of the ideas were things I'd not heard of, and thanks so much! They are really appreciated, and in fact I may even use some of them before too long.

I am not feeling well so must go. But thanks again for the great ideas, and I'm glad to help.

Blessings!!

Old 07-23-2002, 10:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Carie,

I will look into the molding thing...it sounds like a good thing to do plus would "connect" the rooms...

Yea, More kid drivers....lol A few years ago my parents put 3 on the road (twin brothers from mom and sis from dad) within months of each other...girl had no problems...boys hit a tree, the house and stepdad's car...
Last year baby bro (from Dad) got on the road and a week later I think, he had an accident and just last month another...

I'm so glad I'm not paying their insurance!

Hope you are feeling better...

Talk to you soon...
Mar

oops, I forgot...I'm in Conroe, it's about 2-2.5 hours south of Dallas or 40 min north of Houston depending on point of view..lol
Home of the outlet mall...and that's about all...
Old 07-24-2002, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have read every post in this thread. I keep looking to the other end of the living room at the only wall in the house that has paneling. It is around the fire place. hmmmmmmmm;-) What mess could I get into!?
Old 07-25-2002, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Renee

Go for it! And let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-25-2002, 06:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

something different

I just came from visiting a friend who is a professional painter, and he and his wife did something in a bathroom that I think would be just the thing for covering paneling. Their bathroom had plaster that was cracking and crumbling, so he took and rolled on, in a small area, a mixture of half water, and half white glue. Then he took sheets of tissue paper, crumpled them, smoothed them back to half their original size, and stuck them onto the glue. Then he rolled over the tissue lightly with a soft, dry roller. He did this to the whole room. Finally he painted it a dark burgundy, dry brushed a soft ivory over it, and sprayed it with a pearl spray.

I have never seen such a beautiful wall treatment. It looked like velvet on the walls. Plus, it has stopped the plaster from continuing to crack and crumble.

Another idea is to check out your library for some do it yourself painting books. Many of the ideas in them can be changed to suit paneling. Just remember, as many of the others have said, clean well, and PRIME, PRIME, PRIME before you do anything. We repainted our kitchen countertops, and those we did the best prep work on are still beautiful after three years. Those we rushed look terrible.

Good Luck,
Jan
Old 07-25-2002, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I saw the tissue paper wall on Trading Spaces. It was a similar technique. She did a kitchen with tissue but overlapped pieces to make light and dark spots over a painted wall and then did stenciling over it. It looked like a neat project, but working with tissue of course, would be a big job too. It was a beautiful finish.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I saw on Trading Spaces part of a room that they did a wall in sewing patterns. They did it like the tissue paper only they didn't crinckle it up. The home owner hated it. She hated most of the room.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks to all who have been giving tips here in this thread. The tips are very helpful! I have been following this post because I have a similar situation myself of wanting to paper over paneling. I also was thinking of crackle painting my kitchen cabinets. I would appreciate anyone's advice on these two things. . . I have started a thread under Kitchen and Dining Room Repair. . . here is the link: http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...?threadid=3072

Thanks in advance!