Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Assistant Moderator

I am so glad to know I am not the only one living with too much stuff. I have a small house and we are just over run with stuff. For the past year I have been getting rid of my things, mostly clothes and books but that is a start. My dh is a huge packrat and believes in saving things because "we might need it some day" or "there is nothing wrong with it so we can't get rid of it" even if it is something we haven't needed in years or have never used. Lately, though, he has finally realized that we have too much stuff and has decided to get rid of things. He got rid of 8 boxes of books and is getting rid of all kinds of other things. I am thrilled! He has motivated me to get rid of more of my things and we are both hoping that we will have more space. It just feels like all this stuff is weighing us down. Though I don't think we will ever be completely "clutter free", I do think we can make some progress on getting rid of things we truly don't want, need, use or love.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have been doing some major house renovations and I know we have way too much stuff......I have been trying very hard to go through everything and if I realy don't like it or know we don't need it....I am getting rid of it.....the curling club where my kids curl is having a huge yard sale so I have been boxing everything up and taking it to them....today I started into the kids rooms with each of them...went through all the clothes and anything that did not fit or they did not like was added to the pile to donate.....the clothes all go to one of my daycare families and in turn she does all our hair for free. Works out well for us. As much as I have gotten rid of though I still have too much stuff.....So much stuff with my home daycare......I am hoping to work for 5 more years and then boy will I have stuff to get rid of.....my whole downstairs is set up for them....

Somedays I wish a show like clean sweep would come in and help me.......

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

I would love to have a group of friends 'clean sweep'. Wouldn't that be so much fun?

I am trying to declutter this weekend. The humane society is having thier yearly rummage sale next weekend. Dh is working so I think I will start in the kitchen.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Assistant Moderator

I'm in the process of not decluttering as such but paring down. Family changes, grow out of stuff and it would seem we do this with the different stages we go though.
We have recently got rid of some big pieces of furniture we've owned for 18yrs and wow does it make a difference I still have all the things I wanted to keep from the kids.
I can't get over how moving things from one room to another and re arranging things can make a difference.

Me personally I love to have a big clean out and re arrangement every 10yrs or so it just makes so much difference.
Mind you in some respects I'm still a hoarder but just not hoarding as many varieties as I used to LOL

Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good question Bluebird.
We are frequently cleaning "out" our house and donating it to the local reduced items store (Salvation Army/Vincent De(St) Paul's/ Value Village, etc)... Just today we donated a 32" tube screen TV in perfect working condition and cable capable. A month ago it was clothes and nick knacks, and last fall it was boxes of stuff that was still in our garage from the numerous moves we have made over the past 10 years. Before summer (or just before we might move again) we will be donating lots of stuff again (stuff animals in boxes, clothes, furniture, etc) because a lot of it is in boxes not on display and/or just too much space usage for what we do have - not to mention they collect a lot of dust. :-)
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

LOVE THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too,its sad,but I have too many things....what do you DO with it tho???!!!I have a collection of Elephants ALL OVER lolol and then theres papers and that.huby saves things too saying we could use someday BUT he would go out and buy before he would look for anything lol like nails...we never seem to have the right kind for what we need!!!!LOL oh well ya know I would like some one to help...but clean house makes you get rid of too much stuff lol lol
Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh heres another one....how many clothes or towels or bed sheets does everyone have???? maybe think I have too many of those too!!! I have to watch this thread!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Assistant Moderator

bilby, I love having a big clean out! I did that with the kids rooms about eight years ago. I never had a problem with dd keeping her room tidy after that.

I really plan on hitting the kitchen cabinets today. But I said that yesterday too.....

Sheets! Oh my........ I have gotten rid of a lot of sheets. I had stocked up thinking I would have my massage business open. I should go through that stuff too. I try not to look at it. It is a huge disappointment not to be working in massage.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Like the rest of you, we have too much stuff! I really think it's having a very negative impact on our life. I have been depressed and the clutter just seems to have multiplied. Well, now, with the new meds, I actually got motivated to declutter today. I cleaned out my bedroom closet and the linen closet. Filled 3 big trash bags to donate to Goodwill. I have been purging sheets and towels. As they wear out, I get rid of them and DON'T replace them. We now have four sets for our bed (queen size) which is more than enough. We probably have 10 sets or more for dds though (full size). DD1 will probably be moving out within the year, though, so I will give her some to take with her.

I hope the decluttering bug stays with me!

Kathy
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You go Kathy! Then come to my house & help me!