Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-22-2002, 07:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question About Painting

Hi!!

I have a silly question. I have a dog and three birds at home, will the paint fumes hurt them?

I've heard to put a few drops of vanilla extract in the paint to make the smell better, but I worry if the paint fumes are toxic to the animals.

I would love to paint a couple of rooms (since I can't for the life of me wallpaper LOL), but if it means shipping the pets to another person's house till the paint is dry...it's a no go

Also, how long does it take for a normal coat of paint to dry?

Thanks so much for your help and advise!

Hugs,

Last edited by viking7779; 06-22-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would first make sure that you have adequate ventilation while you work. Use some fans if needed. Also, do you have a room air purifier? If so, make sure that is running.

Next, while you are painting you can keep your pets in an area away from the room you are painting.

Also, use water based latex paint and mix in 3 drops of REAL vanilla extract with each gallon. With most paint brands, this will neutralize 90% of the paint smell. Check with the paint manufacture for best results.

As for how long paint dries and how long the paint smell with last.... here is an article I found:

Paint Odor

Different paint products use different ingredients, so it is difficult to comment on the health effects of paint in general. However, health effects associated with the paint will be significantly diminished as the paint dries. The best thing that you can do is to create conditions inside your home which would encourage a more rapid drying of the paint.

The reason you can smell the paint when it is wet, but not when it is dry, is because the ingredients that make paint liquid (usually water, oil, or solvent based depending on the type of paint) become dispersed in air as they evaporate from the painted surface. The chemical process that occurs during the drying of paint is called evaporation. Evaporation is where the liquid portion of the product changes from being a liquid to being a gas.

Just because it vaporizes doesn't mean it disappears altogether. For example, water liquid and water vapor are both still water, they just have slightly different properties. During the process of evaporation, another process occurs - dispersion. The best illustration of dispersion is when you take a bottle of cologne and open it in one corner of the room. Within a few seconds, you can smell that cologne clear across the room, even if the bottle has not been moved. That is because the cologne has changed state from liquid to gas, and then been dispersed (mixed in) with the rest of the air in the room. As the air flows through the room, it carries the odor of the cologne with it. Once you cap off the cologne (therefore removing the source), you will notice that the odor dissipates completely within a few moments. That is because as it mixes with the air in the room it becomes less concentrated and therefore your breathing in and smelling less of the cologne. This is what happens as paint dries. Eventually all of the liquid in the paint will evaporate and be dispersed, and there should be little or no odor remaining.

There are steps you can take to speed up the drying process. First, if you can wait until fall or winter, it is best to apply paint when the humidity is low. When the humidity is high, air has a harder time picking up excess moisture from paint, thus slowing the drying process. If you can't wait until there is less humidity, you could purchase or rent a dehumidifier and place it in the room which has been painted. You can also use fans to help dry paint. Fans serve several purposes. First, air that is moving has a greater capacity to pick up moisture; and second, in conjunction with open windows, fans help move the inside air to the outside where it can disperse even more rapidly, and they can help bring in fresh air from the outside. The process of moving air through a room is called "air exchange," and the more air exchanges you can accomplish, the faster you will remove the irritating odors.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shawn,

Thanks so much for all of your info and for that great article!! WOW! This IS a wonderful site!!

Since it's in the 90's with humidity ranging in the 70%, I think it's best not to do anything right now.

I'm so glad I asked, I was thinking about possibly painting next week if I was sure the pets would be okay. *whew* Thanks again Shawn!

Hugs
Old 06-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great article, Shawn!

Birds have very small and very efficient respiratory systems. What about putting the bird cage(s) outside in the shade for the day while you paint, and then put them in a non-painted, ventilated room once the fumes have dissapated somewhat. Same thing could go for the dog.

Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Peabiscuit,

Thanks for your advice. I was worried about the lingering smell of the paint after painting. Last time we painted, I took Thor and Falcore (my old Tiel) to mom's house...now mom has gotten another dog, and I've gotten more birds.

I think I'm just gonna wait till it cools down and gets less humid, *whew* is it HOT and STICKY in Michigan right now

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice. I'll let you know when I plan to take on this endevor LOL

Hugs,
Old 06-28-2002, 05:03 PM
kellyandkids

While worrying about your pets, don't forget your framed photos. Those same solvents are not good for your photographs. Wait 3 weeks before putting them back in the room with new paint.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Paint Fumes

Painting is one of my things, went to school for this. Wow, many years ago. Anyway, Sherwin-Williams is the place to go for more answers about paint. There paint might be more expensive than Wal-mart, but quality paint makes the job goes so much easier. The paint store also has a wealth of information for you. There are low-odor paints, and acrylic latex are the best.Easy clean up and they are so durable.

Heres there web-site:
www.sherwin-williams.com

Happy painting all!

janet