Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Ideas for decorating these ugly doors/windows

These doors are in my living room. Only the door on the right-hand side opens. I hate the cheap mini blinds that the complex uses on them but I dont want to spend a lot of money replacing them either since it is only an apartment.

I need ideas on how to decorate them so they arent so plain looking. My house is casual country decorated. We are getting new furniture in our living room that will have denim material on it so the look will have to go with it. I cannot paint anything either.

Thanks for the help!
Tami

Here is a picture of the doors:
Attached Images

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Assistant Moderator

Do you have a place you can store the blinds till you leave and can put them back?
How about some lace that is secured top and bottom, or some pretty coordinating print fabric? That way as you open and close the door fabric does not get caught.
It doesn't have to be expensive as you only need a slight gather and the length.
(Don't know if you have the same thing in US but we have a plastic coated springy cord that you screw a hook in the end and have an eye hook at other end to secure and stretch)
Not sure at all if I explained that well but I know what I mean LOL!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby
Do you have a place you can store the blinds till you leave and can put them back?
How about some lace that is secured top and bottom, or some pretty coordinating print fabric? That way as you open and close the door fabric does not get caught.
It doesn't have to be expensive as you only need a slight gather and the length.
(Don't know if you have the same thing in US but we have a plastic coated springy cord that you screw a hook in the end and have an eye hook at other end to secure and stretch)
Not sure at all if I explained that well but I know what I mean LOL!
Do you know what these plastic cord things are called? I would love to look into this. I am assuming you are saying to put on at the top and one at the bottom of each door and then hang the material on each one?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Aren't those plastic spring things the same things that used to make slamming the screen door so much fun, only they used to be made from metal, not plastic. If it's the same thing, you should be able to go to a hardware store and tell them you need a spring for the screen door...the old fashioned kind of spring. Those hook just the way Bilby says they do, and are very convenient and easy to use. I used one once to hang fabric across the front of my sink to hide a broken door.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Assistant Moderator

Not sure if you can do a screen door with the springy wire, here those are in a 1 inch tube.
This plastic or pvc coated wire is like a very small but tightly wound spring that you can cut anywhere, it would be maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch in diametre at most.
Sorry I'm probably making this more confusing than it is, but I can't find a pic on the www anywhere to show you what I mean.
But a hardware store is a great place to look if not a curtain place around.
You screw small open ended cup hook in each end of the wire and closed eye hooks in the doors, stretch and hook.
The only option I can think of is to take a pic of mine if I unhook the curtains.
Yes 1 at top and 1 down the bottom of each door and I have no idea of it's proper name.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Bilby, we're talking about the same thing. The springs today are indeed encased in a tube...for whatever reason...but years ago, when I was a little kid, they weren't. Of course, most of the screen doors then were wood, and didn't have the combination of windows and screens in them...for winter, you took the screen door off, and put on a "storm" door, of solid wood. And they weren't plastic back then, either, they were metal. But, it's still the same concept. For ajrsmom's purposse, the plastic is a better option, because it can't rust and stain the material.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Another suggestion---Maybe a grapevine swag of some type above the door would help soften them and add to your country decore. If it went the width of the door with a little greenery, maybe you could have flowers that you could change seasonally that would go with your color scheme.

Good Luck
Joy
Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Assistant Moderator

Joyce
I know I have translation problems sometimes, who would believe english to be so hard LOL
I guess there are a lot of things that are the same but just different names, I'm glad I had you for my translator LOL

Old 06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby
Joyce
I know I have translation problems sometimes, who would believe english to be so hard LOL
I guess there are a lot of things that are the same but just different names, I'm glad I had you for my translator LOL
Joyce, Could you find a pic. of one on the WWW and post it or the link for me or email it to me? I'm trying to picture it but right now I'm at a loss.

Thanks!
Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Another option to do the same thing would be curtain rods that insted of being nailed or screwed in place have magnets on the ends. I know mail order companies like Carol Wright gifts sell them. Of couse this would only work if your doors are metal
Iris