Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Texturizing my walls....

Has anyone texturized their walls themselves? I started doing this in my sons room today...have been wanting to do it for ages and finally got the stuff and all. Anyway, gosh I'm tired and I'm only 2/3's done. It's really looking nice but is a lot of work, I think I know now why those crews get so much $!
Old 03-29-2002, 01:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When you say texturizing, what do you mean exactly.

DIfferent people think different things... there is actually plutting a texture on the wall or giving it a look for texture with paints.

My MIL did this using a feather duster and it actually came out nice. (the texturizing with paints).
Old 03-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am actually putting the texture on the wall....with a trowel. Oh gosh I'm almost done now and can't wait to be finished! I hope it turns out as well as I imagined it would, wish me luck!
Old 03-30-2002, 01:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Texturizing My Walls

Hi,
Kudos for doing your own walls. I did mine several years ago. It was so difficult but so worth it! I have a son with asthma and after we sheetrocked the walls I was worried about sanding the seams (we live in the house as we are working on it). I used sheetrock mud (really cheap) and sheetrock knives to apply a coat of mud about 1/4" thick. After I applied the mud (in about a 4'x4' area) I used one of those plastic pot scrubby things and created the texture. In my livingroom and foyer I painted the walls white then used a small sponge to blotch on black spots. Then I used another small sponge to tone down the black until it was as light as I wanted it. The two colors on the textured paint hide a multitude of sins! LOL!! Good luck. I hope you are happy with your results.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There is so many fun things you can do with the texture of walls. I have done several different styles with the mud and quiet a few different paint ones. I enjoy the mudding more.
My fav. one that I did is the back wall in the bar at my Mom's. I took a wide trowel and snipped grooves in the end, used this making comma motions on the wall, At the center of the comma's a put in little peices of mirrors. This really reflected the lights nicely from the bar.
I also mudded ( stuccoed) the ceiling in dd's room.With this I made it look like waves, before it was totally dried I used an iridesiant (sp?) blue glitter, hooked the vacuum up backwards and blew it lightly over the ceiling looks really nice.
Once you get the hang of it it's fairly easy to do. The one thing I did notice though is the kits that you get to do this is overpriced when poly-fila works just as well or even better durabond 90, they are half the price, you can tint them, they are stronger and they last longer.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Done with the texture, paint and border!

Ok ladies, I'm finished with the texture, paint and border. The walls turned out very nice, even if I do say so myself. I painted them white and then used that cool little rag roller from Walmart over it in an antique white. Looks like venetian plaster. My border looks like a plaster design, leaves and swirls in off white and grey. I'm going with old (antiques but not in great shape stuff) furnishings, white and off white on the bed. Do you think an oriental type rug in light (sort of sky blue) blue with some mauve roses would clash? I dunno but the rug jumped into my arms at Lowe's it an incredible deal! I can always use it somewhere else if not in there. What do you think?
Old 04-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sounds absolutely beautiful Prairie Rose! I love white on white and I think a little color in the rug will "anchor" the room as the pros say

I worked as a painter's helper for about a year and learned to paint with joint compound. We had a client whose attic was finished with very cheap walls...not drywall or anything...more like cardboard and they needed some texture. We bought the biggest container of joint compound and three quarts of paint in different but complimenting colors. We put the joint compound on the trowel, then added a bit of each color across the trowel then with a smaller blade, we picked up a bit of one color and the compound and put it on the wall in big comma marks, then pick up a bit of the other, the the other and so on. The effect was similar to that of sponging or ragging but with texture. I will say, however, that it was exhausting!!! Get your arms ready for a workout if you try this

Lisa

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am sooooo slow.....

Ok I must be getting old. It's taking me a month to do what I used to do in 3-4 days tops. I've actually starting working on the old iron bed (bought about 10 yrs. ago at a garage sale for $40, been saving it all this time for this very thing). It's awful....paint is all peeling and it's rusty. We've found that we have access to a sandblaster so I think I can get that done and it painted white tomorrow and then I'll paint the corner curly Q's with a dry brush (gold). Hopefully by Sunday it will be ready to put up in the room. Then all I need to do is paint the old cheffarobe (a freebie, not in great shape but kinda cool looking anyway) and decorate it with some rubber stamps that I got just for this and do the mosaic design for the door insert (where the old mirror used to be). I bought the cutest ceiling fan yesteray at Wally World for only $29 and it goes great. Dh will have to do that and the closet doors. Last weekend I: Hung the plantation blinds (white), hung the sheers (off white on a cute curtain rod bought at K-mart for only 20% off but still..... it's silver with finials), re-hung the bedroom door............So I have made progress I'm just s-l-o-w! I have too many interruptions (bookkeeping obligations) to finish in a timely fashion Sure and steady wins the race.....sure and steady wins the race....this is my new mantra.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am the Sandblasting bygosh queen!

Well......... I spent the whole afternoon/evening sandblasting this old iron bed (that I got for $40 at a garage sale about 10 yrs. ago, have been fighting with dh to leave it alone in HIS stg. shed and I promised I would fix and use it one day). I have to say I don't wanna do THAT for a living if I can help it. (no offense to any sandblasters....) Anyhoo....got it sandblasted and painted white and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
I can't wait till Sunday when I'm gonna move it to the new bedroom (newly decorated that is). Oh it's gonna be sooooo cool in there. Now if my special order quilt from dsil will hurry and get here. The only thing left on my list is to paint the old cheffarobe. THANKS goodness I don't have to use sand for that one!!! I do have a nice smooth complexion now though. I was for sure the sexiest thing alive, out there by my dh's seed warehouse in my ugly old jogging pants, long sleeve shirt, bandana (ouch that stuff hurts when it's pelting you in the face!), safety goggles and farmers' hat! (Wolf whistle) I know my dh was just wishing that I could have had on a shirt that said I'm HIS wife! I tried to be invisible but I'm not small so I stayed hooked to the task and tried not to notice how gosh darned ugly I was! :p I'm surprised nobody threw rocks at me............... !
Old 04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Have any of you tried to take this stuff off?

I textured the bathroom walls about 5 years ago and am now sick of it (dh warned me, shhhh he was right-don't tell him).
Catches every little cobweb, horrible to clean etc etc. Don't get me wrong, it looks great but I get bored really easy.

I was ready to have the skinniest arms on earth from all the scraping. Searched tons of websites and the only hint I could come up with was to spray with water to soften then good luck scraping...then a friend had a lightbulb moment-why not use paint remover !!!
Menards and Sher. Williams (where I bought the stuff) didn't even tell me that

Read lots of labels and found a product from 3M that has low fumes and is not flammable. Forget what its called but can go look if anyone wants. They should call it MAGIC. I did 1 1/2 walls in just a couple hours where as it took me several hrs just to manually scrape a couple sq. feet before.

Here's what I want to do now-OPINIONS REQUESTED PLEASE.
Paintable wallpaper with sm. amt of textured pattern. will paint it white. Has anyone used this stuff? This way when color bores me I can easily change it... Shower curtain has sm. palm trees. I want to match paint to the trees and do the ceiling in that green color.(long and narrow bathroom.) Have various shells and tropical things collected from vacations I will scatter around on shelves.