Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

no carpet

I am the one person who dislikes carpet. We pulled the carpet up in our dining room to tile the floor and when we pulled it up I couldn't believe how nasty it was and how much dirt had gone through the carpet and onto the concrete. I find that you have to do too much to keep carpet clean and it doesnt matter because all the dirt just falls down to the concrete anyway. We have tiled our whole house now and I have seven kids.... two boys ages 6 & 11 share a room with a tiled floor. I bought a small piece of carpet to put in front of their bed. That way they can sit on it to play. Their room stays much cleaner. I dont hear any noise because of the tile and its so much easier to take care of. I would never go back to carpet only because I saw how dirty carpet gets. My house is only 7 years old, we had it built and the carpets we pulled up had only been in for 5 years at the time, it amazed me at how nasty it got in that short of time. Especially since I own a rug cleaner and used to clean my carpets at least 2 times a year sometimes more. I always used it if their was a spill. But even with all the cleaning, it was still disgusting. This is just my opinion...... which seems to be much different than anyone elses. But I would never go back to carpet.
Fish3711

Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

tile!

I have had carpet and now we have taken it all out for wood floors and tile. Yes sometimes it does get a little loud BUT i wouldn't trade it as spills and dog accidents are much easily cleaned up and it continues to look brand new where as when we had carpet it alsways looked dingy. Mopping is no fun but least I know once I sweep and mop it is clean, with carpet you never know what is lurking inside the fibers. My allergist suggested we rid the carpet because of my bad allergies and I have been fine ever since. no matter how clean you are carpet is dirty down under.

TX Chef Fran
Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

carpet vs tile

Now that the boys are grown, and if I were not renting a house, believe me I would have hardwood floors!!!

I think the only room I would carpet would be my bedroom because I love waking up and scrunching my toes into "good, quality carpet".

The carpet that is in this rental is AWFUL, NASTY, AND HAS NO PADDING!!! We are going to have it professionally cleaned before the holidays, but I really don't hold out much hope. We own a carpet shampooer and we have shampooed several times, to no avail.

I love hardwood floors with just area rugs on them. I am dreaming of the day when we can, once again, have a home of our own. (For those of you who don't know, we lost our home 3 years ago in foreclosure and bankruptcy).

BTW who would put carpet on the walls? How yucky!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am getting ready to do some carpet & floor shopping myself.

We need to replace the carpet in our living & dining room and hallway, as well as the family room.

DH and I decided that there is no way we're putting carpet down in the dining room, as we are starting to eat dinner there every night. Our kitchen table just does not hold 5 comfortably. I want a floor I can sweep and mop in the area where we eat!

In the living room, hall and family room we're getting a berber carpet.

This will leave only the master bedroom without having the carpet replaced (we did all the kids' rooms in the past 2 years).
Old 08-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Carpet versus tile

There are pros and cons for both. Tiles are much easier to keep cleaner, easier on kids toys and are easier to keep germs/lice from being a nusience. Carpet is quieter, and more comfortable and keeps kids from getting as many bumps and bruises, so you just have to weigh the pros and cons and make a wise choic e for you. I currently have carpet but plan as soon as money becomes available to yank it up and put down hard wood floors throughout and then use area rugs that can be taken up, cleaned, aired out and or replaced much easier, and now their are the new wooden floors that have an underlayment which are suppose to absorb noise.

Think about it.
Deidra
Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

tile or hardwood

We decided to take the carpet out and put in hardwood floors in the kitchen, livingroom and dining room areas. When the carpet was coming out I was appalled at the amount of dirt underneath the padding and I'm not even a clean freak! I love the look and feel of our floors now- everyone who walks in says Wow!-and they are so much easier to keep clean. Also in the 2 years since we've had them, my husband has had no allergy symptoms whereas he used to suffer every spring. I agree that in some homes hardwoods cause echoes but I don't notice much difference in mine - maybe because we don't have vaulted ceilings? Anyway I love our floors and wish we had also done the family room.

My sister-in- law had tiled the whole main floor of her former house- it was not a look I particularly liked - maybe because the tile was stark white- but she said it was much easier to keep clean. I felt they were cold to walk on. I would suggest putting in a medium to dark grout so that it doesn't look dirty after awhile. I must say that she did go with hardwood floors in her new house though and prefers them to tile. i do not know what the difference in expense is however.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure the new flooring will add to your house.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: carpet vs tile

Quote:
Originally posted by kellydid

BTW who would put carpet on the walls? How yucky!!!!
It is actually called Tapestry. It looks like a carpet or a floor rug. The design would vary from flowers or animals.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
kellyandkids

Go tile!

I've seen the carpet up at least one wall for families with noisy boys. The kind of boys who also bounce bodies off the wall.

Yes about the grout must be a dark color and all the new inlays I have seen use dark grout. Otherwise you can see the paths of traffic and the mop in the grout as different shades of color.

Well, there is quite a lot of us who hate carpet. My hubby and I actually fight over this. I am going to paint faux tiles on the concrete floor of our new basement bedroom - as soon as he quits painting walls etc. I am using the excuse of it will save us money; we just can't afford carpet. Can ya' all hear the fake accent?

That is if I don't just up and move in out of desparation. This project is taking to long. I have 3 kids in one bedroom.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got carpet in my whole house and would like to put some kind of hard wood tile or something down in the livingroom and kitchen area. But in those 2 rooms it is concert. How hard would it be to put tile down on concert that isn't really all that smooth? Any suggestions I would love to hear them. It seems like I'm having to vaccum all the time and I would like a change......

Thanks Becky
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got carpet in my whole house and would like to put some kind of hard wood tile or something down in the livingroom and kitchen area. But in those 2 rooms it is concrete. How hard would it be to put tile down on concerte that isn't really all that smooth? Any suggestions I would love to hear them. It seems like I'm having to vaccum all the time and I would like a change......

Thanks Becky