Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Winter Window Boxes

Hello friends,
I'm hoping some of you could help me with this. We have window boxes that I always fill with geraniums and vinca in the spring an summer, but we would like to fill them with something for the winter now.
I need suggestions! And I'm hoping they'll be inexpensive. We have an old artificial Christmas tree. We could use pieces from it, but I don't know what else to do.
Thanks in advance!! Alice
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like a great idea!

Why not use your artificial tree branches, or real ones if you can get your hands on them, and fill in the "blanks" with some pine cones? Those are generally easy to find. For color, maybe attach a red ribbon bow to the center of each one.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Barb had a great idea to use pinecones along with your artificial tree branches and ribbon..... perhaps you could even tuck some miniature christmas lights in the boxes with the greens...that is if you have electricity access outdoors. I think that would be so pretty!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Heres an idea for you that is inexpensive and adorable! Most of you all know I collect teddy bears and all my decorating is teddy bear themed(asuuming you would like to decorate with teddy bears of course) First fill the window box withsome crumpled up newspaper, then add a piece of the white artificial snow blankets you can purchase for $1.Cover the newspaper with that. The reason for the newspaper is just to give you some height.Look in a place like dollar tree for an inexpensive Xmas sleigh, or a few sleds, and find some Xmas teddy bears to put in the sleigh(also in dollar tree) they have plastic and ceramic ones, something that wont be harmed in the elements.Or even some cute Snowmen, you can find them all over. Fill it in with the old Xmas tree pieces you have and some ornaments, or some bright garland,a few plastic candy canes, just whatever you like. Have fun with it!!! You can even add some sprigs of hollyberries!

Sandie
Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think all the ideas are terrific. Just another thought, what about adding silk (or even plastic but they may not look as nice or even be available) poinsettias in the different colors to go with the artificial greenery and pinecones.

LI Roe
Old 11-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

window boxes

the outdoors is full of free beautiful decorations if you live in or near the country jsut go for a walk if not go for a drive into the country take a couple boxes pixk up whatever suits you holly or pine branches different berries and seeds rose hips pine cones acorns some just clear limbs take the limbs like plain brances if large window bowes a couple if smalll use one stand up inside stick in diort if you have dirts use trhe pine or whater evergreen you can find like greenery at the bootomm use some of the berries and longer things iwwth a little color let some trail use pine cones and nuts dip your pinecones in penut butter roll in seeds hang like ornaments lights are prety ig you have electric let nature be your guide for decorations check out sothern living or better homes and gardens for more ides and the birds will love it too i usae lots of homeade ornamenst in my tres for birds to eat crnberries popcorn for garland and kids love stringing it have fun
Old 11-07-2004, 06:49 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Greetings:
These ideas for 'Winter Window Boxes' all sound great. However, I live in a duplex dwelling with very lax rules about pets. Don't get me wrong...I love animals and have a pit bull mix myself. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have a nice sized back yard to keep him in when he's outside. My problem is 'cats'. When I pull up any plants from my window boxes in the fall, the neighbor's cats think they've found a brand new 'litter box'. I've tried using screen over the tops but to no avail. I've even used cardboard boxes to cover the screens. The cats still use any tiny space showing as well as behind the boxes on the pavement.
I would LOVE to get rid of this eye sore and dress up my window boxes for the winter. Any suggestions on detering the cats from them? By the way, I've tried red pepper and rose branches. Nothing seems to work. Please help with your suggestions.
Thank you and God bless.

twstr
Old 11-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Twstr, have you gone to a pet supply shop and asked for advice about those spray "cat repellents?"
Old 11-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cats in Window Boxes

Barbszy...
No Barbszy...I haven't tried the pet store for cat repellants. I will check it out. However, I live in Northern California and we're entering our 'rainy season'. Would this be feasible? Just a rhetoric question. No need to reply.
Thank you for the suggestion.

twstr
Old 11-07-2004, 12:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've heard that cats don't like the smell of lemon......maybe use that as a cat repellent? Possibly tuck some fresh cut lemons in with the greens?