Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-25-2003, 03:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Help with Nautical them in Family room

I have a Nuatical them going on in my Family room, and I need some window treatment ideas. I have quality curtains hanging right now, that I am able to pull closed or leave open. I like them because they are neutral, and the fact that I can open them or close them for privacy easily. But I was wondering if anyone had any unique ideas on how to enhance them to go with the theme. My window is large and takes up a whole side wall and it just looks like it needs something. Rather than go out and buy all new window treatments I'd like to work with what I have. Would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 04:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

what about hanging fishnet over them
Old 02-01-2003, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI before my husband passed away his hair shop was done nautical.. there was a large window which had lined drapes to keep the cold out in the winter so we bought some heavy fish net draped it over the curtains, then found some light weight shells ,, small fish ,, a plastic lobster,,items like that and attached them to the fish net.. it worked well and looked neat.. also had the fish net draped on an inside rod so when the curtains were open it was like a loose valance.. hope this helps Whisper
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Nautical theme room:
I think some soft cording resembeling rope draped across with a few nautical knots and maybe some paper mache or wooden anchors and sea shell added would be interesting addition to your window curtains. Know it will look beautiful when you finish. Mary
Old 02-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was thinking using placemats or lg cloth napkins done in the nautical theme stapled to a cornice board....painted so the inside looks finished....use decorations that can be hung on the tips of the napkins etc like plastic lighthouses, anchors, starfish whatever....maybe even some round beads to make them hang a little lower use nylon thread or fishing line to hang the ornaments...even floats can be used and add color
there is a lot of nautical out there right now so it should be easy to find.
Ruth
Old 02-01-2003, 11:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

nautical help

I decorated my bedroom in Nautical and used the stain glass paint to create fish and lighhouses directly onto the window...these can be easily taken off at anytime should you tire of them. You can also use drapery tie backs such as large rope or lifesavers that would enhance this theme. Go to your local dollar store or party store for unusual nautical items for less. good luck!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Nautical window treatment

Hi,
A very cute nautical treatment I've seen is to use the nautical flags (available at any boating store, or you could easily make your own with fabric and fusible bonding) and string them on rope and hang across the top of the existing curtains. Its very colorful and nautical. You can even have them spell something...like your family names or pets' names. Have fun!
Old 02-04-2003, 06:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like the idea of making a simple cornice board and covering it with nautical maps using ModPodge paste. Also consider framing one of these maps for the wall to accent this theme and tie it into your window treatment.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up

I just got such a lovely rug from http://www.arearugs.com for my son's bedroom - I'd say it's definitely nautical themed as well, but not sure if it would be to "young looking" for your living room though. But gorgeous royal blue colors, slightly wave like pattern