Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-26-2002, 07:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What do I do with my "bumpy" walls?!

Help! We live in an OLD farmhouse and while I love it, I HATE the bumpy walls in my living room ... I can't get wallpaper to stick, and plain paint just seems to accentuate the bumps. I know they are there to cover up the cracked plaster that's underneath, but isn't there something I can do?!

Thanks!

Theresa in MI
Old 09-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Momtomany...I know what you mean about bumpy walls in an old farmhouse...I used to own one...I really miss it too! What I did was, I applied drywall mud to the walls with a trowel...and you can pull it to make peaks, dimples, or whatever texture appeals to you.When I did it, it reminded me of a stucco house..I loved the texture...in fact I had ulgy paneling in my bathroom here and I did the same to the top half and put wainscot on the lower half of the wall...

There is texture paint you can use too...it is kinda pricey but it is an option...it comes in small buckets and they don't cover as much...I found the drywall mud is cheaper and then you can paint over it. Try your technic on a board to see how you would like it.

Hope this helps...p.s. flat paint doesn't show the bumps as bad...nothing to shine off of.

janet
Old 09-27-2002, 03:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I never had any experiences with these types of walls, but can you sand them down? I know this would be very messy but is it an option?
Old 09-30-2002, 05:42 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Faux painting

Anther option is to use a sponge painting or something similar. My bathroom walls looked horrible, but amazingly after painting (an ocean theme, walls are white base, sponged on limegreen, turquiose, reef blue, and a paler blue) you really don't notice the lumps and bumps, just the prettiness of the paint.
Just an idea ............
Old 09-30-2002, 10:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend got rid of her ugly wall-paneling by covering the whole wall with wainscotting, using pine board. She then stained it or you can leave it plain, put a clear coat on it or paint it but it looks beautiful plain or stained. It is a very "country" look but if you have a farm house it could look awesome!!!!

Hope this helps! She also put the boards diagonally for a really unique look!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

bumpy walls

In the Victorian homes that are so often redone they have
problems with cracked walls etc. They use dark green paint
to "camouflage" or cause an optical illusion. It lessens the
cracks. It also works on 'bumpy' walls. I have used it myself.
The color is called Hunter green or Park bench green if you
get it at Sherman Williams.
Kat
Old 10-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation Be Careful!

If your home was built prior to 1976 you could be dealing with asbestous and/or lead, both of which can cause cancer. Do not sand until you know!! If it is possible you will need to contact the EPA to find out how to get rid of this, if that is what you want to do. I own a home that was built in 1918 and has lathe and plaster walls so I can relate. You can buy plaster and use it to even out the walls. Your other choices are in covering the walls with wainscotting, paneling, or 1"x1" strips of firring then drywalling. You can also try to purposly texture your walls, but it may not turn out the way you want due to the uneven walls you are starting with. Wahtever you choose, if hammering into the plaster with a possiblity of asbestous or lead, use a GOOD mask to protect yourself!!
Old 10-01-2002, 04:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. Unfortunately, what I really want to do is wallpaper ... I found the perfect one ... colors are perfect, and I love the print! It is a very "tight" floral ... I'm wondering if it will stick ... maybe if I use wallpaper paste? Maybe I can put wainscoting 1/2 way up and wallpaper the rest?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My whole house, most of it anyway, is done with faux paint finishes. My local paint store, I think it was Sherwin Williams, has free video how-to tapes, plus Lowe's does free seminars on it. It is so easy, if you are remotely crafty. We did our living room./dining room in a technique that people swear is wallpaper till they get very close up. I painted the walls a light mauve, the same color as the veertical blinds. Then we rolled on a dark green "glaze" on a 4' wide section and stuck a giant drop cloth, like a 4'x8' sheet of Saran wrap, up against it. Rolled on the next 4' wide swath, peeled off the plastic and moved it to the next strip. It took the better part of a Saturday to do a 25'x14' living room and 12'x10' dining room, including to the vaulted ceilings. It is most striking and wears extremely well. I have a jpg of it if anyone wants to write me privately, I will send it. It covers a multitude of sins.

Rani
Old 10-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mom2many

It sounds like you are set on wallpaper...it can be done. There is a product you can buy to line your walls before you paper...it is like a wall paper felt...it helps with blemishes, and makes sure the new paper will stick. Now you can also put a thin coat of wallpaper paste on your wall too...over the paper felt. Then when you paper..it will have fresh paste on the piece you hang ..so you will be putting fresh paste over dry thinned out paste on your wall...makes for better holding. Just take your time, and don't worry about the bumps...as long as you get the paper to stick you got it made. Also by the time you hang a few pictures or shelves, wreaths..people will look at that before they will see a bump. Plaster walls are a part of history and I love the sturdy feeling they give a home...I feel they keep a home cooler in summer and I love that.
Enjoy your farmhouse...I miss mine.

janet