Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 08-02-2002, 01:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ants!!!

Hello Everyone, I really need some help as to getting rid of ants, my husband won"t let me spray so does anyone out there have a better solution????? The only good thing that has come out of this is that i got all my cupboards cleaned out, now the little varmits are still crawling around so come on girls put on your thinking caps and send me solutiion to my problem, a friend of mine told me to put out rock salt but all the ants did was crawl over it Guess they thought i was making them a play area, There must be someone out there that has a great idea, RIGHT? Hope to be hearing from you All..........Maureen.. Sunny Calif!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've been told that ants wont cross a chalk line so if you can find where they are coming in at grap a piece of chalk and drawn around that area. If it is outside you will need to keep reapplying as needed. For inside the house you might want some of the ant "houses" that traps them to get rid of the ones that get trapped by the chalk line.

Roberta
Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Chalk line did not work for me back when.
Good luck
Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anit ussue

Terro Liquid Ant bait (in a small container) usually at the counters of Lowes/Home Depot around here. Walmart may carry it (have not looked) it only takes a drop here and there. Try to find their trail (where they are coming in at). And put it there. Works better than anything else I have tried.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Putting some corn starch around in the area you find ants will do them in. They take it back to the nest, and bye, bye!!! Non toxic, sweeps up if there is any left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomoe42 View Post
Hello Everyone, I really need some help as to getting rid of ants, my husband won"t let me spray so does anyone out there have a better solution????? The only good thing that has come out of this is that i got all my cupboards cleaned out, now the little varmits are still crawling around so come on girls put on your thinking caps and send me solutiion to my problem, a friend of mine told me to put out rock salt but all the ants did was crawl over it Guess they thought i was making them a play area, There must be someone out there that has a great idea, RIGHT? Hope to be hearing from you All..........Maureen.. Sunny Calif!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I used to use Bay Leaves. Just put them in the areas that you have ants and it helped me. The other is borax and sugar mixed. They go for the sugar and get the borax on there feet and take it back to the nest and wipes them out. If you find the place they are coming in and its far enough from the house pour gas over them and it kills them. WE use this for fire ants and it's the only thing that works.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have never had so many ants around our property as we have had this year. The best product I use is Terro,got Wal Mart. You put on piece paper pour liquid on paper & they drink it take back nest kills Queen ant & they die. It works Haven't seen any in house .. Now I have Racoon want help with that,,lol,lol,lol,Good Luck,Cookie B
Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use 20 Mule Team Borax powder mixed about 3/4 borax to 1/4 sugar. I haven't tried it inside, but outside I stir up an ant hill and sprinkle this around. It might need to be repeated a couple of times, but it sure works! The only drawback is that it kills the grass for a season or two. The sugar attracts the ants and the borax kills them.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I thought this tip was interesting as most of us have this cheap product at home and it is non-toxic.

No More Ants!
I have an old-fashioned ant repellent that I began using several years ago after talking to my uncle. Every spring I have issues with ants in my kitchen and would wind up going to a home improvement store to get expensive repellents to put outside the parameter of my home. My uncle suggested using "Comet," an everyday cleanser that a lot of people keep at home. I sprinkled it around the problem areas of my kitchen counters for a week or two. I was amazed! The ants get it on their tiny bodies and take it back to the colony, killing them all. It saves money and works like a charm, especially if you can't afford an exterminator or a trip to the home improvement store. Kim N.

Roberta

Last edited by RobertaD; 07-28-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: wrong forum