Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 07-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Where do I start???

When we moved into our house over 12 years ago-I was VERY pregant with DS#2 (I had him before we offically moved in!). We were short on money and furnished the house with inexpensive items.

Now almost 13 years-3 DSs and 1 dog later-the furniture is "starting" to show it's age ! I've been following the FLYLady program and now that I can finally SEE my furniture, I'm realizing how shabby it is really looking.

I would like to remodel-carpet, drapes, furniture etc. but I'm not sure what to do first--do I choose my carpet, then match the funiture----buy funiture then match the carpet and drapes---buy drapes and the match whatever?????

I think I would like to go with a country/denim theme--with 4 guys in the house I have to stay away from the 3-Fs----fluffy, frilly, and flowers!! But that's OK with me. I know my walls will be Glacier White--very slightly off white to the gray side-not yellow-and when fresh and clean!! it will pick up the colors in the room and look slightly bluish, greenish etc. Really nice!

I saw some really nice denim drapes in the Penney's catalog-the light denim not the dark blue. And I THINK I might go for a plaid or striped sofa with plain colored chairs.

If you guys could give me any direction I'd really appreciate it--I have ideas but I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

Thanks----
Old 07-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Klcrn, When I start to redo a room I first look to see what pieces I am keeping, or what favorite picture, or look I want. I also go thru alot of better homes & Garden magazines to see if there is anything I am attracted to in there.

Now I know what you mean with having Guys in the house...that is all I ever had, except for my dog Sydney. So I think you are on the right track with denim or a canvas twill. They come in so many great colors and it wears well. I would pick a neutral color for your carpet....but make sure it is not just one plush color...a berber or oatmeal color is great especially since you already are keeping white walls....then you can pick your sofa, drapes and patterns. I tend to like a solid color and use pillows in other patterns to change the look. My guys hate floral too! And I want them to be comfortable in the home too...they never complain about the pillows except they end up on the floor!

I currently have a plaid hunter green color sofa and solid chairs...when I get to redo I want a solid color sofa...The theme you are talking about is what I like too! Let me know how it turns out.

janet
Old 07-28-2002, 05:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I guess I'm lucky, my hubby doesn't care what I do in the house as long as it's not absurd! heehee But he's outnumbered, we have 3 girls. I would probably start with furniture because sometimes it's harder to match furniture to carpet & other accessories. My sister-in-law bought drapes when they built their house & then had to go back & exchange them when she bought her sofa. And it's easier to find carpet, drapes, and accessories that you're happy with than it is to find the perfect sofa, chair, etc. Just shop around - see what's out there & what you like. Go to as many different stores, catalogs, magazines, etc. as possible and get an idea of what you want before you buy. That's just my experience & opinion, hope it helps. Good luck! Kathy
Old 07-28-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks!

Thank you for your ideas Janet and Kathy. We are still in the "dream" stage. Just dreaming about what we want to do!! What I've been trying do is look at furniture as I see it-I guess I'll know what I want when I see it !! All I know is it HAS be tough!!

Any other ideas--bring them on!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The first thing I would do is decide on colors! Denim says "blue" of course, but you need an accent color with it. The most common I would guess is red, but you can avoid the cliché if that doesn't appeal to you. Pick a neutral carpet, grey tweed or oatmeal berber would work. I have grey and let me tell you, it's about as kid-proof as carpet can get. Berber needs vacuuming to actually pick up dirt, not to raise the nap like plush does, and it's much, much lower maintenance for families. Once you have your color scheme in mind, then you can start looking for a fabric that appeals and includes denim-blue and your other colors.

Many years ago, I had "my colors" done with Color Me Beautiful, if you remember that. Once I knew what my palette was, shopping for clothes and make-up became a CINCH, it narrowed out 3/4 of the choices and I knew what I could pick from. The same thing happens with decorating. And find a spray paint color that goes with your color scheme, perhaps you can find a perfect match to the denim and the secondary color? You will use it for everything from picture frames to fans to baskets, etc.

I was reading an article in the paper today about what hangs people up on redecorating and the main thing, they said, was "fear of commitment." I.e. afraid to buy a sofa because you'll be stuck with it for another 12 years, you know?

Rani
Old 07-30-2002, 04:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another flybaby here!

I Flylady! She's helped me 'find' my house, too!
I'd definitely recommend the plaid sofa, or even just slipcovers for now to give the boys a 'trial period' of keeping it clean.
Denim fabric can be used to line the back wall of a bookshelf- I used some fabric that sort of matched the quilt I keep thrown over the couch to line the back of the video cabinets we had left around from when we had a zillion Barney and Blue videocassetes, now they hold my "pretties"
As for accent fabrics, first thing I thought too was the red bandanna material. If you're wanting to go country, you can make it rustic/home on the range type themed. Something for the guys
Old 07-30-2002, 06:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Where to start??

Watch Trading Spaces. They have lots of good ideas. One of the best one's is to find something you really like, a picture, piece of material or whatever. Use this as a base and build your room around it. It will help you decide on colors and style.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

redecorating tips

Ever watch The Christopher Lowell Show on The Discovery Channel?? His seven layers of decorating are:

#1 - paint & architechural embellishments
#2 - flooring/carpet
#3 - upholstered furniture
#4 - accent fabrics
#5 - non-upholstered furniture
#6 - accessories
#7 - lighting & plants

This advice has always worked for me and it's easy to work with items you already have. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2002, 03:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree with katydid987: Christopher Lowell's seven steps is the way to go if you are going to redo everything. Paint is easy to redo but furniture costs a lot. I love being a Flybaby and maybe someday my DH will agree to redo our new digs. Good luck. I forgot to add: If you don't want to buy his book, get it from your library. The library also has lots of other books and videos for ideas.

Last edited by ismemom; 08-03-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Great idea ismemom...the library has so many great books for redecorating and it doesn't cost a dime...I can even renew them over the phone for another 2 weeks.

I love to redo my home but the furniture part is where I usually get stuck...way too expensive. I have been looking for a bedroom set, any ideas on a inexpensive way to redo....I would love to have a dresser with a mirror over it...dressers I found are $599.00 Yikes!!! Too much for my budget. Any ideas anyone? I want a cottage look in my bedroom, white or light color wood.

janet