Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Amen, Wanda. I agree completely. Our house flooded just before Halloween last year. The supply line to the washer broke while we were sleeping and the water was ankle deep when we woke up. Although we were covered by insurance, it is definitely a major ordeal to go through. We had to recarpet, replace drywall, paint, hang new doors, buy new furniture, etc. Of course, we had to dry the house out first!!!

My husband did all the work himself and it looks great. I helped where I could, but he really worked hard to get things back to normal, all after a full day at the office.

I word of advice: replace the supply line hoses to your washer now, preferably with the new steel mesh kind. Definitely worth the extra money. Also, if your going to be away from home overnight, turn the water off. We were lucky that no irreplacable items were damaged or ruined.

Katie
Old 08-23-2002, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

shocking We've derailed!!!

Hello Ladies--please don't think I'm being "bratty" or that I'm being "snobish" but.....

We have kinda detoured from the orginal subject for this thread!! . While I have enjoyed reading all the posts and understand that we're just have a normal conversation that flows from subject to subject , I REALLY need all your great ideas for redecorating!

My biggest problem is not knowing what to do first---carpet, furniture, drapes????? It's all a mystery to me.

Again, please take no offense-because none is intended!!!

I love this message board--so many sources of info on so many things from all over the world just for the asking!!
Old 08-24-2002, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You're right, we're off the track here. I reread your original post. I love the denim idea a lot. That's what I wanted to do, but my husband had his mind made up for leather. I live with three guys as well, so we don't go with anything foofoo, if ya know what I mean!!

What's the budget look like?? What's the first thing you'd like to do?? It sounds like you have a pretty clear picture of what you want. You might want to try visiting the Room by Room site on hgtv.com and look at the decorating worksheet (click on print version). You can print out a step by step guide. May help keep you organized. Most decorators recommend that you carry your sheet with you, with color swatches and paint chips attached, everywhere you go. You never know when you'll run across something that you think might match. Could save you a trip back to the store.

So, since you have a color scheme in mind and a good idea of what you want in furniture and drapes, I think you're ready to start. Wanna paint first?? Can you start shopping for furniture?? Will you be making any of the curtains, pillows or other accessories??
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Carpeting

We are planning on getting new carpeting soon, and I would like some help with knowing how to choose carpeting that wears well, and does not tend to "thin" out from being vacuumed. What is here now was put in about 12 years ago, and when it was cleaned I would find all this "fluff" (filler?) in the bag. As a result, the carpet had to be stretched once, and it is in that condition again. I see no sense in paying for it to be stretched again. Also, it was a sculptured type, and is matted down from being walked on. I never felt we chose "good" carpet to begin with while dh felt we paid enough for it. To me, when so much is sucked into the vacuum cleaner bag, that is NOT good carpet.

I hear so much about Berber, but don't know just what that is like. I need something like a salt and pepper look to hide "trail paths". Just what does one look for to get good, long lasting, good-wearing carpet?? It is too expensive to keep buying carpeting, because of lack of knowing how to choose good carpeting in the beginning. As it is now, I'd have to trust a salesperson, and that way I could be sold anything for lack of knowing better.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I personaly do not have berber carpet, but parents,grandparents all do, have had for many years and I must say still looks good!

After finding this thread am curious Janet did you get your bedroom done?
Kclrn, did you get your living room the way you wanted?

We just did a bathroom redo I am very happy with it! My next project will be the baby on the way room we want to redo the hardwood floors which are orginal to house and I know with a good sanding and revarnish they will look great. Since I do not and will not be finding out if its a boy or girl we will have to decorate very neutral. Am looking forward to it though.
Leighann
Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

About 6 or 7 years ago, we had the washing machine overflow and flood about half the house, so we had to replace the carpet. We got a variegated grey Berber and I have been totally happy with it. The reasons we got it:

1. I was walking with a cane at the time, with the possibility of a wheelchair in the future. My inlaws got Berber and it was much easier for my MIL to use her chair on it.

2. We had, at the time, 2 teenagers and 3 cats, and a sloppy DH, and only one person who cared about keeping the carpet looking nice (me). I wanted something that didn't show the dirt or the cat fur.

3. About vacuuming: when you have plush, it only looks good when it's freshly vacuumed. Berber doesn't have nap, so as long as it isn't filthy, it looks fine.

4. Because it's not solid-colored, it doesn't show dirt nearly as much.

5. I am now in a wheelchair and it's easier to wheel on the berber than the plush in my bedroom.

My mother used to say that she believes in The Theory Of Built-In Dirt, which is buying things that are low maintenance and don't show the dirt! When it comes to carpet, I agree with her.

My kids are older and we only have one cat now (and he doesn't shed much), and the carpet looks terrific, despite the fact that it's been shampooed ONCE and it gets vacuumed about once or twice a month.

Rani
Old 08-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Rani

Thanks for your response. I don't know yet what color I will be getting. I know what I would LIKE, but am afraid of a solid, fairly light color showing dirt too much. There are just the two of us here, but when the air is not needed, I have windows open all the time, and the air is dirty down here, I found. We walk around in our bare feet when inside, and after a time we notice we have dirty feet. It is from the carpet. We don't drag in dirt from outside, as we take off our shoes first. In time, one can see a shady pathway where we walk the most. Then I have to get out my steam cleaner again. I saw a nice sort of salt & pepper carpet some time ago, which would be ideal, as it doesn't show a thing. If I could find that, it is what I would choose. I'll just have to take my time to look around, I guess.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member

Berber Carpeting

Blondie ~~~ Take your time and pick out something you like. Lots of people where I live are turning to berber. My Sister has a multi colored for ten years still looks good. She bought herself a carpet cleaner and does it herself too. True what you said about pile carpeting gets thinner with vacuumning. Have a light colored tan now will go darker if I change too. Maybe you can pick up some samples cheap and bring them home to try out. Sometimes the dealer will supply them for nothing. Now that you have the painting done a new carpet will really make the house look new.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Blondie, if by salt-and-pepper you mean a tweedy grey, that's what we have and it's widely available and very neutral. My color scheme in here is green and a light mauve with black accents, and the carpet looks great with that.

My in-laws have a color that carpet people commonly call oatmeal, which is a tweedy tan with flecks in it. Of course, they don't have my son and his friends and DH traipsing around, they have a cleaning lady who comes in and vacuums and they don't use that part of the house all that much.

Hope that helps.

Rani
Old 08-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Sueanne & Rani

Thank you both for your suggestions. They sound great. I guess I should have said "tweedy". It sounds about right. Is Berber a sort of nylon?? I also want a better padding this time around. When at my son's last June I saw his new carpeting, which is a mix of brown/tan/white shades, and his padding is so comfortable to walk on--like a thick sponge. The way the colors are in the carpeting, I can't imagine it ever showing a "pathway" through the house, and that's what I'd like. This coming week I am going to begin looking around. Thanks again.