Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-04-2002, 06:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I go to garage sales and thrift stores and have found some of the best deals!! If you're going to repaint it anyway it's very easy to make small repairs, sand, paint and even change the hardware. As for the mirror, I have bought mirrors for over the dresser for $5 at the thrift store and repainted them. Or, you could check out the local Wal-Mart, etc. to see what they have. Think about using doilies on top of the dresser or stenciling a design. You could even decoupage cutouts from wrapping paper, etc. I have some beautiful butterfly paper I'm saving for just that. Will be easy to paint a few vines or leaves to finish it up. Have fun with it!!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Katydid987, What great ideas, now all I have to do is find a dresser and stencil...I have been looking at unfinished dressers in the Penneys catalog...all sorts of good ideas from you!Thanks so much! Right now I have 2 of those high storage units in my bedroom to hold clothes...they are an oak color but I just HATE them...it looks like a broom closet! lol But it was what we had and there were no CLOSETS in our room! Odd hey????I want to start working on our bedroom and finally for once in my life I will have a decent bedroom...it seems like the kids rooms get done but Mom's room alway get skips...well I have been married 17 years and now it is my turn! lol

I might have to work on this all winter, I use cash only,but I am going to get this done!!!

thanks again, Katydid987!

janet
Old 08-04-2002, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You're welcome, Janet. Just remember, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. That's what my dad always says. So.....keeping that in mind......DO YOUR ROOM FIRST. It's really very important to have a place of your own. Your room should be a sanctuary for you. Soft fabrics, candles, pillows and hopefully a chair to curl up in to read. You may not have a lot of time to spend there, but the few minutes you take for yourself each day will have a huge impact on your family.

So start painting. Use your imagination. You can start with whatever you can afford for now and upgrade as you go along. That's the beauty of buying at garage sales and fixing it up yourself. Since you don't have a lot of money invested you can replace it when you find something better. And then you can sell the original one at a garage sale and recoup your money.

I keep a notebook with pictures that I like. It may be a picture of a room that I adore, a picture of a bird with a really cool combination of colors or a craft project that I like. Any kind of folder or notebook will do. Use a gluestick to put the pics on a sheet of paper and you have instant inspiration when you're ready to work on a project.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet

Hi I have those tall storage units too! The magazine Real Simple May-June Issue had a project to refinish a plain front cabinet using trim, from your diy lumber store, and paint. I gave it a try and was more than pleased with my effort. I also used moulding to create a new top around the edge. I spent $35.00 and have a whole new piece of furniture. Have fun.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Great idea Wanda! I am going to go to the Library and look up that issue too! I never thought of moulding on the door fronts!Now I really want to start ripping my room apart!

I want to go with a cottage look in my room...thanks for the help!

janet
Old 08-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Janet. Please keep us posted as to your progress. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Katie
Old 08-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello all! I haven't been able to start on our bedroom yet...I swear time is flying by me way too quickly.

Since I have to tear out the carpet, put new floor down, and then redo and find furniture...it seems like it is going to be a long process. In the meantime, we cannot sleep in that room...so I guess my redone living room will have to hold our bed. Then the living room furniture will have to fill the computer room! YIKES!!! What a mess that will be! lol Almost hate to start the mess!

We also have to travel 100 miles for supplies to redo, we desperatley need a Home Depot here!

So many obstacles to get around...but I feel the pressure to get it done before Xmas.

Wish me luck!

janet
Old 08-21-2002, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Too bad Michigan is soooo far away or I'd come up and help you. Sounds like a big job. Are you and your husband both pretty handy?? I can't believe The Depot is such a long drive. I guess I'm spoiled to the fact that there's a Home Depot and a Lowes within 10 minutes of my house. And OMG, those are my favorite places to go. Well, you know, besides Goodwill and my other favorite thrift stores. In fact, I stopped in to Home Depot last week to pick up one thing and got caught in a severe thunderstorm. The power went out, the generator came on, and all the customers were huddled around the front doors, waiting til they could leave. Not me!!! I was happily shopping all around the store, just looking and planning. I was in heaven!!!

Just take your project one thing at a time. Don't let it overwhelm you. Have a good time with it. The easiest way to tackle any big job is to break it down into smaller portions. Take one portion and concentrate on that. When you've finished that one, tackle another. Maybe one money intensive project followed by one inexpensive, labor intensive project. One will give your pocketbook a rest, the other will give your back a rest.

Having a goal is important, but don't rush yourself. Is it realistic to be finished with the whole project by Christmas??? If not, that's ok. Any progress you make is success. If you can't complete the entire thing by Christmas, maybe set your goals to having the flooring done and the furniture back in the bedroom by Christmas. Then you can concentrate on the holidays and enjoy your time with your family.

Good luck. Have fun. Keep us posted. We're all rooting for you. We know this is something you can do and we're looking forward to the progress reports, hahaha.

Katie
Old 08-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks Katydid, I sure needed the encouragment to tackle this project. My DH and I are very handy with home repairs and remodeling....It is the mess that gets to me but maybe it won't be so bad because I can shut the bedroom door and poof! the mess will be gone. I like to pay as I go when I am remodeling because I hate debt so it usually takes us longer to get a project done but then it is Paid for! Yipee

Home depot is 130 miles from us...we can go to a Menards that is about 100 miles from us. We do have a 41 lumber but everything has to be ordered and it takes awhile and it is more expensive due to the shipping costs. So if you want a decent price like the big cities, you have to travel. So that's what we do.

I want to put hardwood floors in the bedroom....no carpet allowed due to allergies. Our bedrooms are the last place we are taking the carpet out...10 years ago we have carpeted the whole house, same carpet throughout and allergies were so bad so little by little the carpet is being ripped out.(DR. orders) But we do feel better and we run an air cleaner all the time 24/7 .

I wonder what it is like to live in a brand new home? Has anyone had that luxury?

janet
Old 08-23-2002, 11:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We recently had our upstairs bath done. We hired a contractor because we felt this was beyond our DIY level. The contractor accidently cut the water supply pipe to the tub. We live in an old house and have found you just never know what will be under there until you tear it up. Any way our bedroom is directly under this bath and the water soaked through the plaster all over everything furniture was damaged, clothing soaked, bedding soaked. everything had to be cleaned and dried or repaired in our downstairs. while the upstairs was still a mess with bathroom stuff everywhere. I almost quit and moved out but..... It has all worked out well, the bathroom did get done and it looks great.
The room that was our bedroom is beautiful, replastered, painted, rugs ripped up, with beautiful wood floors refinished. My dh and I are now in one of the upstairs bedrooms. The college daughter that moved out feels like we kicked her out of her room, but thats another story.
What I was trying to point out that no matter how bad it looks right now.. there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will have a great place to live, and you can have the satisfaction of saying I did it.